• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

XM177E2 clone build of a MAC-V-SOG CAR-15

Whee!

I'm looking into one of those as we speak. If you grew up in the Platoon generation and wanted to be Barnes or Elias, you want that CAR-15.
Absolutily!!! But f*** Barnes and Go Elias!!!
And don’t forget when the platoon from the show “Tour of Duty” became MacVSog…Car15’s and Tigerstripes!!!!

But I will say the Car 15 comes in second to the mighty M60

Love it! Slick side and a metal adjustable stock! I have a project going too. Did the CAR have a forward assist? I don’t think the upper I bought has one.
Some had a forward assist, some did not. The Army bought guns with forward assists, the Airforce bought guns without forward assists.
Probably the most famous CAR-15s ever, those used by Special Forces on Operation Ivory Coast, the Son Tay Prison raid in North Vietnam, did not have Forward Assists.
Apparently they couldn’t get enough XM177E2s through Army Channels, so they used Airforce Guns. Specifically
GAU 5/A/As. http://retroblackrifle.com/index.html

5A/As 6B27E38C-B14A-4F5A-9EC6-94C5A57FC10F.jpeg 79DB9622-CAD6-4E5E-B3FC-B297AB02BC4C.jpeg
C3D201F3-B4B8-4BD7-A54F-91617D567FED.jpeg
Very cool retro rifle to Clone.

Some had a forward assist, some did not. The Army bought guns with forward assists, the Airforce bought guns without forward assists.
Probably the most famous CAR-15s ever, those used by Special Forces on Operation Ivory Coast, the Son Tay Prison raid in North Vietnam, did not have Forward Assists.
Apparently they couldn’t get enough XM177E2s through Army Channels, so they used Airforce Guns. Specifically

5A/AsView attachment 726943View attachment 726944
View attachment 726946
I share your passion, I feel like I’ve read every book ever written by a SOG vet from Vietnam. Hard boys for sure.

5A/As
View attachment 726946
am i seeing a scope that is attached to a handle by an electrical tape up there?

am i seeing a scope that is attached to a handle by an electrical tape up there?
Those Normark Singlepoint fiber optic sights were pretty cutting edge at the time.
There is an actual mount under that electrical tape, I beleive they came loose with high round counts during training, so the tape was a bit of insurance against the sight falling off.
This was a night operation, so the red lens flashlights, red goggles and red fiberoptic sights were the very beginnings of US Special Operations Forces developing equipment and learning to operate in the dark.

Back
Top Bottom