Xl650 primers seating sideways

C1B1C8D8-D8E9-4F30-A060-E243EF479534.jpeg
Have only had press few weeks and reloaded 3 times only about 200 rounds and this is the second time I have had a sideways seated primer. Happily it didnt detonate either time. Any ideas how to prevent his. Also had a primer get stuck in a tube also and it aint coming out. Well, it might if I was brave enough to drive it through. Thanks for any help

Yes, WLP.
There are several lots of Winchester primers, small and large, that are not perfectly round or have loose or falling out anvils. They will get stuck in the Dillon pickup tubes, or turn over in the primer carousel. They also leave behind a greenish yellowish mess.

It's not all Winchester primers, only certain production lots.
I don't think Winchester is doing anything about the problem. I have encountered this myself, and other reloaders all over the internet are posting about the same things you describe

I'm knocking on wood here but.....

I've loaded many 100's of rounds on 650s and I've never hasd this happen.

I don't use Winchester primers though.

I have has this happen a few times (I use WSP) but only with crimped brass (like the Federal NT with blue laquer) , that starline case does not appear to be crimped.

You might get a 10X glass and have a close looksee around the rim of the primer cup looking for a burr. A small burr and upset a primer going down and flip it on it's side. You can pretty well figure when you automated things you did not plan for are going to happen.

Back
Top Bottom