• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Xl650 Primer Pocket Swager on eBay

That could be read as, "Swages entirely too much and the cases won't be good for more than one loading."

I agree..although .not sure that he would have invested, patented and manufactured a product without properly testing with reloaders...I can afford an $80 mistake...will let y'all know

Does this guy have a writeup anywhere? Some headstamps need a little more or less swaging than others, I'm wondering about how it is adjusted or if there is an adjustment at all.

So... can you make USPS go faster? I wanna know now [grin]

Does this guy have a writeup anywhere? Some headstamps need a little more or less swaging than others, I'm wondering about how it is adjusted or if there is an adjustment at all.

So... can you make USPS go faster? I wanna know now [grin]
Why would it need to be adjusted? If it's a fixed size, a case that needs a little swaging gets a little, the ones that need more get more.

No. The Super Swager uses a mandrel to push the case onto the sizer button from the inside. It has to be adjusted for varying web thickness.

With this thing, the press will hold the case by the rim, so there's no adjustment that will need to be made.

The fine folks at dillon don't seem to think this device is a good idea.

primer swage on a 650? - Dillon Precision Reloading Equipment - Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

See the comment from one of their folks in the linked thread.

First thing I thought of when I read the OP post. I don't like the Ebay description, it clearly says that the issues talked about in that thread or a non issue with the way this is designed. No pictures and no description of how that works though...

I have a 1050 and appreciate the swaging operation because it is part of the reloading process. I have tried a couple of swagers; the CH and the Dillon, which obviously require an extra step. After a few years of experimentation, I gave up. My swager of choice is now a carbide counter sink on an electric drill.

For me it is a near zero risk...I try it, it doesn't work up to my standards: A. Return it B. Resell it C. Make a better one.....I will not defend an item nor a seller I do not know...just thought I would give it a go.

As far as instructions it is really straight forward if u have a 650 from what I can gather from the photos....remove primer seater, add swager, and add extended bar stop bar. Changing of swaging pins may be a little onerous, but doubt it.

It seems to me that more than just me on NES bought one of these...He sold 13 after I posted here and only 5 prior...I want my cut .....And really what I should have done was had mine shipped to EddieCoyle for a pro review.

Got it, set it up in 10 mins

Here is my impression:

Minor Annoyance 1: Screw provided to add stop has diff. size allen head so you have to grab another allen to tighten. Not huge deal but why not get it right?
Minor Annoyance 2: The instructions are lacking. I am not an idiot, but I like well organized and professional instructions....How about a youtube video??

Operation: Being that I have a fleeting experience with crimped primer pockets it is really difficult for me to tell whether it is removing enough of the crimp without taking it off and attempting to seat a primer whereas an experienced rifle reloader would likely know.For this reason if anyone is local and would like to try it out I am open to that. Just PM me and we can work out a time.

It basically feels like seating a primer with 2X or 3X the resistance required due to the beefy spring.

Well I am headed out for the night..I will do my best to answer questions when I return

Ok So I had a chance to test...Here's what I tried:

1. Tried to seat a Tula primer in a unswaged LC 11 223 case
Result: No worky
2. Installed the swager and swaged case
Result: barely noticeable change to primer pocket
3. Tried to seat a Tula primer in swaged LC 11 223 case
Result: Smooth Success
Repeated 3 or 4 times with same result

Compared to factory ammo and looks pretty freakin good

So I woke up around 4:30 and had go do some more...I ran about 50 through the swage and then reassembled the press to seat the primers. The primers seated as what I can only describe as 9mmesque...Smooth and with a light touch. I am happy with the results, the process and the quality.

I did notice, however upon taking the unit out that there were very fine long metal thread. The threads on the unit were slightly biting into the Dillon platform...So this is not like the primer seater where you can put in with your fingers.

There is also a point where the Indexing spring and the unit touch for around a 1/4 a turn and then you continue tightening until firmly seated.

Last edited:
Bumping this to inquire about extended usage... OP how much have you used this since your last report, and have you observed any damage to your press?

I have the same unit on my 650 and have done well over 2000 5.56 and 1000 45 with small primer pockets some seem to have a crimp, anyone that would like to get rid of those horrible small primer 45 please send them my way [grin], no issues so far press works great . so so far so good [grin]

Back
Top Bottom