XL 750 Machine Bundle to load both .223 and 6.5CM

paul73

NES Member
Hi,
I am still in research mode over this topic, but, could anybody kindly advice, please - looking at the kit configurator on this link

i am trying to understand which specifics components would need to be duplicated in .223 and 6.5CM calibers to allow loading both kinds?
can anybody give a full list of what add-ons for the XL750 machine are going to be specific for each caliber?
Or may be point me to some documentation on the topic, if it exists. Thx.

The machine comes with one conversion kit (you choose either 223/6,5 CM. So you will need to just order an extra conversion kit for the other caliber.

To have the quickest switchover from one caliber to the other, you should have two tool heads setup. Machine comes with one tool head. Order a second one. Buy a second powder die as well. Want to get fancy, buy a toolhead stand as well. A extra powder measure would make your life a little easier, but isn't required if you are trying to save a little money.

i understand it is way more than jsut a kit? you need a kit, then, new die set, then, new size shell loader - i mean, can anybody list all the required accessories that are caliber dependent?

i really do not want to have a complete second setup, i simply have no space for that in the house. i can fit one machine, mount it permanently, but this is it.
i do not mind spending half of day or how long it takes to unbolt all that is caliber specific, if needed, just trying to understand, how many of the other optional components and add-ons on the core machine will be caliber specific.

also, when they say .308 for shell loaders and such - i presume it will work with 6.5CM, as right now 6.5CM is not even showing in any of optional dropdowns.

Ideally, you'd want another one of these for the second caliber as well.

ok, that is something i expected. so, the idea then to go with what base model, if i will need to get 2 of those quick change stations?

Your 750 should come with everything you need to load one caliber (toolhead, powder drop, measure and caliber specific conversion kit), pending you don't buy a "machine only" or "stripped" version (which I believe exist as buying options). You'll need a second quick change kit and conversion kit for another caliber.

It appears Dillon does offer a 6.5creed conversion kit - check out the drop down here.

Your 750 should come with everything you need to load one caliber (toolhead, powder drop, measure and caliber specific conversion kit), pending you don't buy a "machine only" or "stripped" version (which I believe exist as buying options). You'll need a second quick change kit and conversion kit for another caliber.

It appears Dillon does offer a 6.5creed conversion kit - check out the drop down here.

it is not the case if i start with this kit, right?

what would be easier way, as i see a swarm of options there from $679 kit, $890 kits, $980 kits, $1500 kits? i want to go with XL750 as a core, but, do not really care to get greatest/fastest right away. and want to begin with .223 set first.

You could always just start with a 750 and 223 conversion kit. Once you start using the machine, add accessories / additional calibers as you see fit.

i am looking now at this
compared to that:

and frankly getting confused - the base $679 kit seems to show some long tube going up, but it does not show on the mini feeder. is there any sense to go with that mini feeder?
is it also fair to assume mini feeder will not handle 6.5CM shells and other one will?

i understand it is way more than jsut a kit? you need a kit, then, new die set, then, new size shell loader - i mean, can anybody list all the required accessories that are caliber dependent?

i really do not want to have a complete second setup, i simply have no space for that in the house. i can fit one machine, mount it permanently, but this is it.
i do not mind spending half of day or how long it takes to unbolt all that is caliber specific, if needed, just trying to understand, how many of the other optional components and add-ons on the core machine will be caliber specific.

also, when they say .308 for shell loaders and such - i presume it will work with 6.5CM, as right now 6.5CM is not even showing in any of optional dropdowns.
This is the list from dillon of what comes in a caliber conversion kit. The 223 conversion and 6,5 will not share anything so both full kits will be needed.
As far as 308 shell loaders, where are you seeing that it doesn't list 6,5 cm specifically? Dillons website has all the correct info. I think the issue you are seeing is from the 3rd party vendor that you linked above. They have limited availability because they are including the Mr Buller Feeder on their package. Which doesn't have a 6,5 CM option. For the Buller plate, I would think a 6,5x55 would work better for your 6,5 cm

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210512-101005_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20210512-101005_Drive.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 2
i am looking now at this
compared to that:

and frankly getting confused - the base $679 kit seems to show some long tube going up, but it does not show on the mini feeder. is there any sense to go with that mini feeder?
is it also fair to assume mini feeder will not handle 6.5CM shells and other one will?
The mini feeder doesn't have a hopper that automatically feeds the machine. You manually load the tubes and rotate them when needed. If you were to go this route, might as well just buy a dillon 550. Why pay for all the extra automation and do it manually anyways.
Screenshot_20210512-101819_Google.jpg

it makes perfect sense, thx.
Converting the xl750 or xl650 from one caliber to another shouldn’t take more than 20 minutes. The parts kits involved are sold separately and take up no more space than a shoebox.

I have to ask what your experience level is with reloading. Perhaps a 5 station progressive press is biting off a bit more than you can chew right now? Each pull of the handle could be performing a step of the reloading process and each step must be paid attention to as it can have serious consequences. I mean no disrespect by that question. You may want to start with a high quality single stage press. You will probably find yourself needing one in the future anyway.

At a minimum, you need a caliber conversion kit but you may well want an extra toolhead
and powder measure. Forget about buying bundles & packages right now; most everyone is
out of stock on various things. Dillon forces same-as pricing on resellers so you wont find it
cheaper at DoubleAlpha vs. Dillon vs. else. I got mine from DoubleAlpha and it came w/ 9mm setup.

Watch this video. Not only setup but also conversion. UR is an amazing guy.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uKYi2063y4

Converting the xl750 or xl650 from one caliber to another shouldn’t take more than 20 minutes. The parts kits involved are sold separately and take up no more space than a shoebox.

I have to ask what your experience level is with reloading. Perhaps a 5 station progressive press is biting off a bit more than you can chew right now? Each pull of the handle could be performing a step of the reloading process and each step must be paid attention to as it can have serious consequences. I mean no disrespect by that question. You may want to start with a high quality single stage press. You will probably find yourself needing one in the future anyway.
Meh. I started out with a progressive press 7 years ago. He can always use it as a single stage and have one die in the press. I know you can do that with the Hornady press. I’m not up to speed on Dillon presses.

Though I agree having a single stage for rifle calibers is helpful. I have a SS dedicated for resizing rifle brass.

Basically I use my progressive press (for rifle) just to seat bullets and crimp (if necessary). If I’m using a fine powder like H335, I’ll charge on the press. But using stick powders like IMR-4064 I use the Lee Perfect powder measure.

For pistol, everything is done on the progressive press.

Last edited:
I only loaded shotgun shells before. So, complex kits like that is a challenge, for sure. I am trying to watch videos when I get time, as of having a single stage - may be it is a valid approach too, just need to get more information.

Meh. I started out with a progressive press 7 years ago. He can always use it as a single stage and have one die in the press. I know you can do that with the Hornady press. I’m not up to speed on Dillon presses.

Though I agree having a single stage for rifle calibers is helpful. I have a SS dedicated for resizing rifle brass.

Basically I use my progressive press (for rifle) just to seat bullets and crimp (if necessary). If I’m using a fine powder like H335, I’ll charge on the press. But using stick powders like IMR-4064 I use the Lee Perfect powder measure.

For pistol, everything is done on the progressive press.
I agree, Andrew. He certainly can use it as a single stage press for the time being. There‘s no huge reason not to. The questions OP posed just seemed to me to demonstrate a big gap in his understanding of what he might be getting himself into.

i started out by buying a Forster co-ax press and have never regretted that choice, even though I quickly moved to a Dillon 650. I used the single stage press to load, shoot, process, and reload 2000 rounds of .223 before I realized how long it was going to take me to feed my CMP/NRA Highpower habit.

Last edited:
I agree, Andrew. He certainly can use it as a single stage press for the time being. There‘s no huge reason not to. The questions OP posed just seemed to me to demonstrate a big gap in his understanding of what he might be getting himself into.

i started out by buying a Forster co-ax press and have never regretted that choice, even though I quickly moved to a Dillon 650. I used the single stage press to load, shoot, process, and reload 2000 rounds of .223 before I realized how long it was going to take me to feed my CMP/NRA Highpower habit.
Ohh, there is no gap there - as there is no understanding, yet. :) but I am getting there.

Ohh, there is no gap there - as there is no understanding, yet. :) but I am getting there.
The most important thing you can do is be honest with yourself about what you don’t know yet.
A great place to start is “The ABC’s of Reloading”. It’s available online or in paperback. It’s a fairly comprehensive guide to everything involving reloading a cartridge from start to finish. Once you understand the process better, I’m sure you’ll be able to make equipment choices that will suit you best.

I've been reloading for 30 years and still do all my rifle on a Redding single stage, I just prefer it that way and I generally load small batch's at a time.

I only loaded shotgun shells before. So, complex kits like that is a challenge, for sure. I am trying to watch videos when I get time, as of having a single stage - may be it is a valid approach too, just need to get more information.
What you want in the end is highly dependent of what you want out of it.
How many rounds a week will you be shooting?
How much time do you have for reloading?
Are your goals bulk ammo or trying to load the best ammo possible.
i wont say a single stage is better BUT there is far less to go wrong vs a progressive.
Also depending on your budget IF you think you might want to run a few thousand rounds every weekend by all means get the best value kit with case/bullet feeder.
If your content with a few hundred here and there IMHO your money is better spent on a base model with the caliper conversion kits, tool heads, dies and such.
I have been saying for years Im going to get a progressive. Yet every time I scratch together enough $$$$ i find myself buying bullets/powder/primers or guns.
The thing is i have much more time to reload than to actually shoot. Im home alot , dont watch much tv , in reality i have 2-5 hours a night to reload. So i spread it out and over time I load more than I will shoot for at least 1 season.

if you dont mind feeding the machine brass and bullets save yourself that expense and tool up for calibers your interested in loading.

You cant go wrong with a press, progressive or single stage.

As for room/space
Do you have space to store extra presses, or wall space to mount them to when not in use.
If $$$ was more fluid for me i would have multiple presses. Really the only reason to have 2 presses is one in small primer the other in large primer? Or you just have $10k and 30' benches and want to load for everyrhing you own

DIsclaimer: I do have progressive presses.
They are Lee Pro1000 which all but one was free.
i did buy the lee Pro 1000 in 223 to load my bulk 55 ammo. Works great for me. i rebuilt the others and have tool head set ups.own
Load for 32sw,9mm tok, 9mm,45acp,38/357,223,308,30-06,8mm,7.5_swiss, 303,7.7_jap and 12g
I have dies for rifles I dont even own.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom