XL 650 Adjustable tool head for 38 Special and 357 Magnum

HarryPottar

NES Member
Hi,
just purchased my first revolver so delving in to reloading 357 Magnum.

I found a custom tool head on ebay that through a spacer allows you load both 38 special and 357 Magnum, they say you only need to adjust the sizing die.

They state you don't have to adjust the powder die. I assume they mean the case bell, surly you need to adjust the powder measure?

anyone have any comments or have used one?

link

Thanks

harry

Imo it's a waste of money.... All you would have to do is tweak the dies a tiny bit to reload the opposite round. I would use the money for more components.

I adjust the dies, but if you want to make it easier, you can buy another tool head and some dies for about the same price as that thing on ebay, and you won't have to adjust the sizing die.

It's a cool idea but I wouldn't waste my money on it. I've used precision stainless washers before to make die adjustments and this could be done for the .38/.357 changover as well. You would have to unscrew the dies out and put them back in. I work in a machine shop and there's a pretty good supply...

Thanks for all the feed back, I'm going to go with conventional quick change unit, dies and conversion kit.

Later on "if" I load enough 38 special I will just buy another quick change unit and dies.

I like leaving everything in place, powder measure and dies and just swapping the tool head over.

I'm going to order everything tonight.

thanks
harry

My Dillon carbide 357 dies and 357 conversion kit is on the way.

I picked up a pound of Lil'Gun powder, still got to source some primers.

Looking at bullets, going to go with 158 grain, but does it matter about shape with the Dillon Dies.

copper plated SWC, FP and RNFP are all the same price $93.96 per 1,000, any advantage of one over the other.

$12 more I can get HP.

Be mainly paper target and some steel plate rack shooting.

Not going to public post where I get my bullets from but if some knows of a better source please PM, do not post publicly

thanks in advance.

harry

Stay away from plated bullets if you want to load full-power loads.

Lil' Gun is only good for full-power loads. Work up slowly, it's a very touchy powder. It's going to work best with magnum primers (regardless of what the manual says) and don't be surprised if you see severe pressure signs before you hit the max charge weight. Use a strong roll crimp. Use only jacketed cannelured bullets, or gas-checked cast lead bullets.

The bullet shape won't matter with Dillon dies. You can flip the insert in the seating die, and one side or the other will accomodate virtually any "normal" bullet shape.

Thanks for the feed back Eddie, great information as always.

I started a new thread on Magnum powders, I was looking at load data on Lil'Gun after seeing some similar post on how touchy it is.

Still very new to reloading so a little worried with Magnum loads, especially after seeing the revolver post here that split after an over charge.

thanks
harry

Thanks for the feed back Eddie, great information as always.

I started a new thread on Magnum powders, I was looking at load data on Lil'Gun after seeing some similar post on how touchy it is.

Still very new to reloading so a little worried with Magnum loads, especially after seeing the revolver post here that split after an over charge.

thanks
harry

Since you're using magnum powder, you've pretty much eliminated the possibility of a double charge, which was what caused that revolver to blow up.

Using an auto indexing progressive press like the xl650 (and a case activated powder measure) will also significantly reduce the likelihood of a double charge.

Are you including a new powder measure in the quick change kit? These are unnecessary if you buy the Uniquetek micrometer powder bar. You only need one powder measure with this part, and it pays for itself in many ways - time and money.

Back
Top Bottom