Xiegu x6100

MaverickNH

NES Member
I picked one up from Amazon on their generous 30d return policy, but sent it back in less than 2 weeks. It worked pretty well for a $630 HF/50 QRP radio with ATU - half the price of my ICOM IC-705 which has UHF/VHF but no internal ATU. I bought it to boot from a microSD card on Armbian Linux to run WSJT-X FT8 & JS8CALL from the internal processor, displayed on the radio screen.

In short, it worked. With just a 31ft random wire and 10ft counterpoise attached to the BNC connector, it was an All-in-One radio for WSJT-X/JS8CALL digital - no PC required. Add the mic and paddles for voice/CW.

But it was very glitchy. Sometimes it wouldn’t boot in the native Xiegu x6100 Firmware 1.1.5 mode and I’d have to reinstall the FW. Sometimes the Armbian microSD card would get wonky and I’d have to re-image from a backup. Just too much trouble. Xiegu rapidly iterated FW versions in the first 6mo after launch but the next version keep getting pushed back 6mo, 7mo, … It might make the x6100 more stable but the Armbian developers will have to revise their work thereafter.

So, I sent it back. If the new FW finally issues and the Armbian folks get a new working version up and running, I might buy it again for a 30d trial. And keep it if it’s stable. For now, the IC-705 works well with a Surface Pro 6 tablet and KM4ACK 49:1 Halfwave Endfed on 10m/15m/20m/40m w/o an ATU and on Winlink VARA HF/FM/Chat - add the AH-705 ATU and it’s good 160m to 70cm.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fz551tZGX4Y

I'm still sticking with either Japanese made or American made radio equipment. I have seen nothing with the Chinese made crap to endear me to any of it. Having said that, I will be re-tubing my HF amplifier this weekend and had to go with a Taylor tube (3-500ZG) out of HRO. This tube is, unfortunately, made in the PRC. I had hopes of finding someone local with a spare NOS Eimac or Amperex tube, but without success. Ugh!!

Your issues with this radio are not giving me the warm-and-fuzzies about my new tube!! On the other hand, I want to get my Ameritron AL-80A back on the air!!

There are a bunch of Chinese radios hitting the market in true Chinese fashion. Get the hardware out, then sort out the firmware. People love the G90 but I wonder how much of that is the niche. I'm sure people get boners over the Linuxability of the 6100, but messing with that stuff is not for me. I just want a finished package that I can plug in and use. But I understand people like to tinker with that stuff.

I'd take a 705 over probably any Chinese radio. And the Elecrafts are slick as snot. For some reason with this hobby I'm trying not to buy things I don't need. But I have no idea how they work with digital modes. People love that digital stuff but I just don't get it. To each his own.

I picked one up from Amazon on their generous 30d return policy, but sent it back in less than 2 weeks. It worked pretty well for a $630 HF/50 QRP radio with ATU - half the price of my ICOM IC-705 which has UHF/VHF but no internal ATU. I bought it to boot from a microSD card on Armbian Linux to run WSJT-X FT8 & JS8CALL from the internal processor, displayed on the radio screen.

In short, it worked. With just a 31ft random wire and 10ft counterpoise attached to the BNC connector, it was an All-in-One radio for WSJT-X/JS8CALL digital - no PC required. Add the mic and paddles for voice/CW.

But it was very glitchy. Sometimes it wouldn’t boot in the native Xiegu x6100 Firmware 1.1.5 mode and I’d have to reinstall the FW. Sometimes the Armbian microSD card would get wonky and I’d have to re-image from a backup. Just too much trouble. Xiegu rapidly iterated FW versions in the first 6mo after launch but the next version keep getting pushed back 6mo, 7mo, … It might make the x6100 more stable but the Armbian developers will have to revise their work thereafter.

So, I sent it back. If the new FW finally issues and the Armbian folks get a new working version up and running, I might buy it again for a 30d trial. And keep it if it’s stable. For now, the IC-705 works well with a Surface Pro 6 tablet and KM4ACK 49:1 Halfwave Endfed on 10m/15m/20m/40m w/o an ATU and on Winlink VARA HF/FM/Chat - add the AH-705 ATU and it’s good 160m to 70cm.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fz551tZGX4Y

I am hoping eventually this thing is usable in the future. It would be nice being able to give these to my kids that are out of the house to make it "hopefully" easier to use the digital modes.

I am hoping eventually this thing is usable in the future. It would be nice being able to give these to my kids that are out of the house to make it "hopefully" easier to use the digital modes.
Yeah - a guy had his at a radio club last night and said their firmware updates fix a few things and break a few things. The last two updates were both v1.16 but different updates! Ending the COVID lockdown in China probably won’t help things on this front - if they couldn’t do things right stuck indoors, wandering around and getting sick won’t improve things much. Maybe in 6mo…unless they’re all conscripted to fight Taiwan. Now’s the time, while Slow Joe is in and Congress is messed up.

If they had only put an ATU in the Icom IC-705… I’m thinking to grab a MX-P50M 50W amplifier with ATU to use with the IC-705 - only $160 from China! But too expensive to hand out IC705s to the kids!

I've got another one of their tuners and they're good to go. Even better are resonant antennas ;).

Keep an eye on your power. A tuner good for 100w SSB is not likely good for 100w digital.

That's why I would never buy a so-called 100 watt external tuner. The smallest external tuner I have ever purchased was a 300 watt unit. When I want to run QRO power in my shack into my OCFD, I have a Palstar HF-Auto. Now that is an impressive tuner.

Bummer to hear the X6100 is rough around the edges. I have been keeping an eye on it as I like the form factor.

Got my general 2 years ago and haven’t done anything with it with radio prices, stuff being out of stock, and making a move. I really wanted an Elecraft but wow that’s an investment in a piece of gear I don’t know how to use!

Bummer to hear the X6100 is rough around the edges. I have been keeping an eye on it as I like the form factor.

Got my general 2 years ago and haven’t done anything with it with radio prices, stuff being out of stock, and making a move. I really wanted an Elecraft but wow that’s an investment in a piece of gear I don’t know how to use!
Do you plan to operate portable? The Yaesu FT-891 is in the same price area. It doesn't have a fancy waterfall and all that, but it's a solid performer. It would work at home or in the field equally well. No ATU, but has HF/50 at 100w.

When I first got licensed I really looked at the FT-817, which is a QRP rig. I ended up with the 857d and am much happier for it. It's too bad they discontinued it because 160-70cm all modes is pretty tough to come by. I'm tempted to pick up a 991A while they still make them for that very reason. I mention this because QRP is cool, but is limiting when you're trying to learn.

Just some food for thought.

It's too bad Muffinhead f***ed us over in Ukr/Russia because those Lab 599 rigs out of Russia were pretty sweet. Now they're 2x the price on the used market.

Last edited:
Do you plan to operate portable? The Yaesu FT-891 is in the same price area. It doesn't have a fancy waterfall and all that, but it's a solid performer. It would work at home or in the field equally well. No ATU, but has HF/50 at 100w.

When I first got licensed I really looked at the FT-817, which is a QRP rig. I ended up with the 857d and am much happier for it. It's too bad they discontinued it because 160-70cm all modes is pretty tough to come by. I'm tempted to pick up a 991A while they still make them for that very reason. I mention this because QRP is cool, but is limiting when you're trying to learn.

Just some food for thought.

It's too bad Muffinhead f***ed us over in Ukr/Russia because those Lab 599 rigs out of Russia were pretty sweet. Now they're 2x the price on the used market.
You know, it’s one of those things that I like to think I’m going to do? I don’t have enough experience to know.

I know I don’t see myself having a room full of gear I sit in, and I like the concept of at least semi portable (antenna and transceiver out of my 4Runner or n the backwoods of Maine as an example)

I live near Mt Monadnock and loved the concept of hiking to the top with an ultra portable rig, but in reality i would spend $2k to do it once.

I think I’ll end up with a icom 705, or perhaps the bigger Yaesu FT-710

You know, it’s one of those things that I like to think I’m going to do? I don’t have enough experience to know.

I know I don’t see myself having a room full of gear I sit in, and I like the concept of at least semi portable (antenna and transceiver out of my 4Runner or n the backwoods of Maine as an example)

I live near Mt Monadnock and loved the concept of hiking to the top with an ultra portable rig, but in reality i would spend $2k to do it once.

I think I’ll end up with a icom 705, or perhaps the bigger Yaesu FT-710
It's addictive. The first time I went in the woods and setup my little radio and a wire in the tree and made a bunch of contacts it was all I wanted to do.

The 710-AESS is a good radio. I got the FTDX10 this spring just before they released the 710 and I don't really know the difference between the two. I picked that up because I was tired of tearing down my "shack" radio to take into the field, then setting it back up. One for home, one for portable is just right for me. And the bigger home rig has a lot of nice features that aren't necessary but make it more enjoyable.

Some people will do POTA/SOTA activations with an Icom 7300. I wouldn't want to hike too far with one, but it can be done. If you haven't, check out POTA on youtube. That's what got me hooked and I don't even activate parks, I just chase/hunt people. But sometimes I'll go sit in the woods and chase people; it's a real blast. The exchanges are pretty simple and it's just people having a good time.

Back
Top Bottom