1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Xfinity Voice, who has it? Got some questions on switching to them

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Prepper, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

Who here currently has Xfinity Voice that can answer some basic questions? I'm trying to help my mother out with her insane phone issues. She is with Verizon, but a couple weeks ago a man on her telephone pole was out there doing stuff, and effed it up. Since then, the dial tone drops randomly, calls won't go through, only one side can be heard, her medical alert device keeps beeping no service, etc. The a-holes at Verizon claim it's my mother's equipment and not their fault, and they will charge her a fee to work on her own lines/equipment. They are effing wrong. And, my mother is moving in 2 months so she certainly doesn't need to spend money on fixing wires that don't need fixing.

Anyway, what I'd like to do is port her number to Comcast in order to solve the issue. So... how does this currently work with the equipment? Does Comcast need to bolt a box of theirs to side of house and wire it into the phone interface box out there? Or, is it all done these days through the rented modem? I'm asking because 10+ years ago I had Comcast phone and it was the box on the side of house thing and wired into my phone wires. But, the modem my mother rents is this giant contraption that appears to have a phone jack on the back. They use that now? So, what do you do, just plug the base unit for a multi-handset phone system into that and call it done?

And, any idea how long or how complex the port is? If it matters any, in less than 2 months, she's going to be moving and will take her Comcast equipment with her, one town over (not sure if that matters when trying to keep the same ported phone number).

2. Asaltweapon

Asaltweapon NES Member

All done thru the modem. Verizon can suck on it. Their own guys will tell you the same.

Prepper likes this.
  3. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

Cool. If I begin the process online, does the modem become active right away ready for a phone (with temporary number) , and then eventually get the ported number?

4. appraiser

appraiser NES Member

They disconnect from the service drop going to the pole, and run a telephone cable from the modem into the nearest jack to energize the rest of the jacks.

Where it gets problematic is setting up an alarm panel or other device ( medical alert pendant) that normally is wired to be the first device (in series with the line instead of parallel) so that if that device is activated it "captures" the phone line so a burgler can't defeat an alarm by taking the nearest phone off the hook and dialing a single digit to prevent the alarm from completing the dial out, or in the case of a med alert being able to disconnect any call in progress and dialing out. It is not hard to do, but you may have to move the med alert base station so it goes from the modem, into the device, then out of the device into the wall plug

If you want to keep the same number you will need to set up "porting" before hand

5. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

Okay, that works too... something I did myself years back to back feed my VOIP connection into the phone lines. So, they come over and do this themselves? (Mom would never figure it out and I can't get down there the next couple of weekends.)

6. appraiser

appraiser NES Member

PS Verizon wants out of the P.O.T.S ( plain old telephone service ) business, IMHO they fail to maintain the copper system in order to force people onto their FIOS network ( V.O.I.P.)

In a lot of places ( NH) Verizon sold off their copper system and only offer telephone over F.I.O.S, while the companies that bought copper lines have not been able to make it viable as a business.

7. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

Their plan might work better if they ever bothered to wire her street for FIOS. But yeah... the copper lines are badly maintained. Whenever she speaks to me over them, it sounds like the original phone that Mr. Bell used right after he invented it, with lots of static and pop sounds.

8. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

i have fios for my business phone, and comcast for my home phone. The comcast is not as clear, quality wise, as the fios....but they both work. In fact, i was thinking of dropping the entire fios internet/phone thing, and just going with comcast to save some bux.

9. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

Now I'm on the web site logged in as Mom, trying to figure out how to just add voice. Of course, it won't let me... it seems to require a "triple play" package with 250+ TV channels, 250Mbps Internet and 2 year contract. She currently has about 25 channels (basic) and won't watch anything else anyway, and the "economy" 3Mbps internet. I'm guessing a phone call will be required to discover what the other super-secret options are that don't require all this extra stuff. Great. I don't sound much like a female so I guess Mom will have to make that call, so she won't.

10. whatluck

whatluck

My advice is to go to service from questblue and host a pbx.

Snora likes this.
  11. Snora

Snora

Buy your own ATA and manage it yourself.

Also how do you know it's the POTS line and not wiring from the demarc?

12. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

LOL

Kevin_NH likes this.
  13. It wasn't me

It wasn't me NES Member

PM me if you still have any Comcast questions

14. capewalk

capewalk NES Member

15. Len-2A Training

Len-2A Training Instructor Instructor NES Life Member NES Member

x2 - Cheapest and best service available for VOIP!

16. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

I use an Obi device. However, since I was originally asking about my mother, no way am I setting her up with VOIP. All I need is for her phone to stop working because she has to restart a device and can't figure out how. Half the time she calls me from her cell phone, she accidentally pressed the mute button with her face and can't figure out why I can't hear her.

17. jkelly1229

jkelly1229

If she's in an available area get ooma or vonage.

F*** comcast they are awful awful people