XDs recall -- .45 ACP and 9x19

I have been watching the threads on Xd-talk. We may be looking at close to Christmas before we get them back. There was a email from Springfield this week that said they expected the guns already in they're possession to be returned in 8 to 10 weeks and that they have not started repairing them yet. They still haven't finished testing the repair.

I called them directly a few days ago, and they assured me it was still 30 days. They said they actually received mine in for repair on 9/4/13, and should be all set within the 30 days.

I called them directly a few days ago, and they assured me it was still 30 days. They said they actually received mine in for repair on 9/4/13, and should be all set within the 30 days.
I hope thats what is going to be. 8 to 10 weeks from now is not good.

Also, the earlier you sent yours in, I am sure is going to help immensely. People who are waiting until now to send their guns in, probably are going to wait 10 weeks to get it back. I sent mine in the day after they released the recall.

Springfield updated the xds recall info this afternoon. They haven't figured out how a fix for the xds yet. This might get ugly.
We originally estimated a 30-day turn-around time, but it has unfortunately taken longer to develop and identify an upgrade solution. Please know that we are continuing to test potential upgrade solutions at this time and we have been doing so since we became aware of this issue. This testing is nearing completion and we will post any new updates as soon as we have identified a final upgrade solution. We will post our next update no later than Friday, October 4, and we will communicate immediately if a final solution is identified prior to that date. We wish that we could provide you with a specific return date at this time, but we are unfortunately unable to do so. Upgrades will be completed on a "first come / first served" basis.

......it has unfortunately taken longer to develop and identify an upgrade solution........Upgrades will be completed on a "first come / first served" basis.

Hmmmm... First in / first out, eh?

I guess it might be a few years for me to get mine back. I'm not sending mine in until the fix is back and a bunch of people report for months that the fix works fine. Meanwhile I practice with, and carry mine. The hysteria is pretty funny.

Springfield Armory ReCall Registration

We pledge to you that we are working as fast as we can, and have greatly increased our staff and number of shifts to ensure that we are leveraging every hour in the day.

We understand that our decision to announce a voluntary safety recall without a final solution in place has caused confusion and frustration. We sincerely apologize for that inconvenience. However, your safety is, and always has been, our paramount concern. And that is why we decided to issue the voluntary safety recall before we had a guaranteed upgrade solution in place.

Our decision not to wait was based on putting you, our customer, first. Some companies build in several weeks of lead time before announcing their recalls. But, we didn't feel that was the most responsible approach in this case since our priority is your safety.

Please know that we are committed to resolving this matter as quickly as possible and we are committed to ensuring that you will be very pleased with your upgraded 3.3 XD-S™. As a reminder, do not use your 3.3 XD-S™ until the upgrade has been performed.

Wow, this is not cool that they basically had everyone mail the guns in expecting a quick turnaround, only to announce a few weeks in "Oh, by the way, we still haven't figured out how we are actually going to fix these hundred thousand handguns!" Wtf?!

"As a reminder, do not use your 3.3 XD-S™ until the upgrade has been performed."

I will shoot mine this weekend in protest. Hang in there guys...

Sigh, Good thing I just bought a PM9 the other day and I'm hanging on to my SW1911 Pro 3".

Otherwise I would have to CCW my sub 2000.

Bought that bodyguard 380 as my temporary replacement for the XDS. While it functions fine, and is very small, the trigger and sights do suck a bit compared to the xds. Not entirely thrilled about 380 stopping power either. Probably should have bought the Walther PPS 40 I was thinking about.

This is starting to get pretty frustrating. I am not going to lie. I am glad it's getting fixed, but to have no idea of a return is kind of retarded.

Aren't they just swapping parts? You'd think they'd offer to do a DIY ...

No idea. If they don't even know how to fix it, or what will fix it, I really don't see them just shipping out parts, and allowing you to 'fix' it yourself.

People on here think that because they polish a feed ramp, and install a BCG into their rifle, that makes them a gunsmith and an engineer.

Last edited:
The worst part is it seems like all they're doing is changing the grip safety. I installed an aftermarket grip safety in my XDS in under 2 hours.

But they are still forcing factory "upgrades".

ETA: At least PRP is going to do the right thing. XDS Extended Grip Safety

No idea. If they don't even know how to fix it, or what will fix it, I really don't see them just shipping out parts, and allowing you to 'fix' it yourself.

People on here think that because they polish a feed ramp, and install a BCG into their rifle, that makes them a gunsmith and an engineer.

My understanding was it was between x and x serial numbers .figured bad parts , If the frame and slides are machined wrong that's one thing . But if it's just bad parts no reason the average monkey couldn't take it apart and swap the parts in . Every gun I own the first thing I do is learn how to break it down .

If you ever worked with engineers you'd know now a days most are pretty dumb and rely on computers and solid work way to much .I've been working on a single shot .50 cal based on a few proven guns etc. I handed them a set of hand drawn prints I made so I could have them draw them up and give me the files on a thumb drive .
The ones I'm dealing with are from a military school so they have a understanding how a .50bmg blowing up in your face is bad.
One didn't want to draw the files up for me cause he was worried etc. I broke down the math on the forces the locking lugs would see and it went over his head . This engineer should know about pressure since he designs high pressure contains systems for toxic gasses and liquids etc... Well he drew them up for me and tested it out in the software program . He asked me why I made it 3 times stronger then it needs to be . "Cause a .50bmg going be going off 5 inches from my face "
I work with a few that cant read blue prints but are great with 3d models .they have to convert them to 2d prints for me. They don't understand when I come to them with prints and tell them there missing to much info. Or they come visit me and I explain prints to them we got from other company's when they don't have a cad file for lol .

After dealing with engineers for over 10 years. I have more faith with a drunk money working in his shed then a engineer with out a computer.

Sorry for my rant just sick of engineers ..

My understanding was it was between x and x serial numbers .figured bad parts , If the frame and slides are machined wrong that's one thing . But if it's just bad parts no reason the average monkey couldn't take it apart and swap the parts in . Every gun I own the first thing I do is learn how to break it down .

Same.

If you ever worked with engineers you'd know now a days most are pretty dumb and rely on computers and solid work way to much .I've been working a single shot .50 cal based on a few proven guns etc. I handed them a set of hand drawn prints I made so I could have them draw them up and give me the files on a thumb drive .
The ones I'm dealing with are from a military school so they have a understanding how a .50bmg blowing up in your face is bad.
One didn't want to draw the files up for me cause he was worried etc. I broke down the math on the forces the locking lugs would see and it went over his head . This engineer should know about pressure since he designs high pressure contains systems for toxic gasses and liquids etc... Well he drew them up for me and tested it out in the software program . He asked me why I made it 3 times stronger then it needs to be . "Cause a .50bmg going be going off 5 inches from my face "
I work with a few that cant read blue prints but are great with 3d models .they have to convert them to 2d prints for me. They don't understand when I come to them with prints and tell them there missing to much info. Or they come visit me and I explain prints to them we got from other company's when they don't have a cad file for lol .

After dealing with engineers for over 10 years. I have more faith with a drunk money working in his shed then a engineer with out a computer.

Sorry for my rant just sick of engineers ..
No, it is all of them. It was explained on xdtalk. It is a design flaw, not bad parts.

Back
Top Bottom