• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

X Frame Smith and Wesson explodes @ range *pics*

Looks like his 16yo son reloaded with the wrong powder, damn.

"Based on what I can tell, failure would likely be due to excessive crimp, or wrong powder. I do not know how to evaluate crimp once it is done. As for powder, there is a possibility that Hodgdon Titegroup was used rather than H110. Both powders are available on the bench, and I can see how my son might have grabbed that powder knowing that we do use it in other handgun loads. Titegroup requires a much lighter load than H110. I am not an expert, but 40 grains of Titegroup migh have made the cartridge fail cataclysmically."

Years ago, a gunsmith showed me a Ruger Super Blackhawk that kaboomed. It looked remarkably similar. Top strap was separated and bent, cylinder torn in half. The customer that brought him the gun said that he had been experimenting with duplex loads (two different powders layered in the same case...no, I have no idea why anyone would do that). In both of these cases, the shooters walked away with no major injuries. The guy with the Ruger claimed that the first two rounds shot fine, the third one took the gun apart.

As for the guy with the S&W, I would guess one of two things. The previous round was undercharged (squib) and left a bullet lodged in the barrel, or more likely, he double charged a case.

One thing's for sure: that won't buff out, and no amount of duct tape will fix it. He got a $1300 lesson. He's lucky he didn't have to pay for it in blood and body tissue.

ETA: I went back and read the OP again. My guess about a squib or double charge were wrong. It looks like the charge weight was correct but was probably the wrong powder. The guy admits he was new to reloading and he had multiple powders on the bench. Not a good practice. One powder on the bench at a time. That will also eliminate the possibility of dumping the powder from your powder measure into the wrong can when you're done reloading.

Last edited:
A little work with a hammer, a bit of epoxy and some filing and this gun will be on the For Sale shelves at a certain gun store in Shrewsbury in no time!

The customer that brought him the gun said that he had been experimenting with duplex loads (two different powders layered in the same case)...no, I have no idea why anyone would do that

I remember reading about the history of the .454 Casull cartridge, the very early pre-mass market loadings were duplex loads.
In theory they acted like a three stage rocket where the primer ignites a starter charge, then the main charge kicks in.
This certainly isn't something for a beginner to play with. [shocked]

Years ago, a gunsmith showed me a Ruger Super Blackhawk that kaboomed. It looked remarkably similar. Top strap was separated and bent, cylinder torn in half. The customer that brought him the gun said that he had been experimenting with duplex loads (two different powders layered in the same case...no, I have no idea why anyone would do that). In both of these cases, the shooters walked away with no major injuries. The guy with the Ruger claimed that the first two rounds shot fine, the third one took the gun apart.

Duplex and even Triplex loads are a method of generating more velocity without exceeding peak pressure. You mix progressively faster burning powders into the powder column so you can maintain higher pressure as the bullet moves down the barrel without exceeding the safe peak pressure.

The original .454 Cascull loads were triplex powder loads to maximize the velocity they could obtain.

- - - Updated - - -

When S&W developed the X-frame and the .500 S&W Magnum, they over-pressured the design until it failed. Failure occured at almost 2x maximum SAMI pressure, and the failure wasn't this dramatic, so this was WAY over pressure.

Looks like his 16yo son reloaded with the wrong powder, damn.

"Based on what I can tell, failure would likely be due to excessive crimp, or wrong powder. I do not know how to evaluate crimp once it is done. As for powder, there is a possibility that Hodgdon Titegroup was used rather than H110. Both powders are available on the bench, and I can see how my son might have grabbed that powder knowing that we do use it in other handgun loads. Titegroup requires a much lighter load than H110. I am not an expert, but 40 grains of Titegroup migh have made the cartridge fail cataclysmically."

This is exacly why my powders are NOT stored at my reloading bench.

Plus, while reloading the ONLY powder out is the one I am currently loading.

Word on the street is that he tried to load it with a .40 S&W.

I didn't know Glock made a X-frame.

(Did I miss any?)

Duplex and even Triplex loads are a method of generating more velocity without exceeding peak pressure. You mix progressively faster burning powders into the powder column so you can maintain higher pressure as the bullet moves down the barrel without exceeding the safe peak pressure.

The original .454 Cascull loads were triplex powder loads to maximize the velocity they could obtain.

- - - Updated - - -

When S&W developed the X-frame and the .500 S&W Magnum, they over-pressured the design until it failed. Failure occured at almost 2x maximum SAMI pressure, and the failure wasn't this dramatic, so this was WAY over pressure.

Thanks for the info! I remember reading about duplex and triplex loads many years ago and hadn't heard any more about them for a long time. This story jogged my memory.

This story reminds me of why I only keep one powder on the bench at a time. And why I double and triple check that the powder I'm using is actually the one called for in the recipe. It's also why I don't reload when I'm rushed or pissed off about something. Reloading is actually a pretty simple process, but then again, so is driving a nail with a hammer. I want to avoid hitting my thumb - literally and figuratively.

Like many here, I also keep powders in a seperate, locked cabinate, clearly marked. I also have labels on them which list the calibers and weights I normally load with each.

However, we don't know for certain what the user meant by "both were available at the bench" whether that means he had both available in the cabinate or if they were both out on the bench at the same time.

Two other things I've started doing is:
1) recording with the load formula how full the case should be
2) testing a double charge to see if a double charge will fit into the case and highlighting any formula that will allow a double charge in the case.

It's an easy check to do when you're working up the load the first time, and it reminds you what a double charge will look like.

Back
Top Bottom