Wyze: "Smart Camera" Data Leak Exposes Personal Data Of 2.4 Million Users

Reptile

NES Member
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Compromised data includes usernames, email addresses, Alexa tokens, and information specific to people’s wireless home networks
A massive data leak by smart home device manufacturer Wyze revealed the personal details of 2.4 million users for over three weeks, according to the Daily Mail, citing the December 26 discovery by consulting firm Twelve Security. The find was confirmed by video surveillance authority IVPM.

Wyze, based in Seattle, was founded by former Amazon employees. The company produces inexpensive smart cameras, light bulbs, plugs and security devices.

Compromised data includes usernames, email addresses, Alexa tokens, and information specific to people’s wireless home networks.

Also exposed (albeit for just 140 users) were health stats – including weight, height and gender for the company’s upcoming smart scale product.

hminsky

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
Their slogan: "You're privacy and security are all but guaranteed!"

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
All this smart home sh*t is pure marketing genius and proof that people buy way too much sh*t they dont need.

The only smart thing anyone needs in a house is a thermostat that will let you set the temperature throughout the day and night. And those have been around for decades.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't know why anyone would bring one of these spy devices into their homes. You would think being spied on by your phone would be enough? I guess some people are gluttons for punishment.

Gee - umm - Lemmie get that Alexa,,,, oooo - that FacePlant Portal is sweet...... Ahhhh...... that echo dot is awesome...

I love that these things listen to everything I say in my house and upload it to god knows who to be heard and used for god knows what...

IMHO - you're a f***ing idiot if you own one of these things... If you're offended by that - I'm offended by your stupidity.

Prepper

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I don't know why anyone would bring one of these spy devices into their homes. You would think being spied on by your phone would be enough? I guess some people are gluttons for punishment.

Gee - umm - Lemmie get that Alexa,,,, oooo - that FacePlant Portal is sweet...... Ahhhh...... that echo dot is awesome...

I love that these things listen to everything I say in my house and upload it to god knows who to be heard and used for god knows what...

IMHO - you're a f***ing idiot if you own one of these things... If you're offended by that - I'm offended by your stupidity.
Well the idea here is you stick it out the window pointing at your driveway so you can see if any suspicious people show up. It's possible the Chinese may be hacking this, although the info they will gain from this is rather limited. You don't want this in your bedroom or living room watching you all the time, unless maybe you want to be an unpaid p0rn star on some voyeur web site.

But with any of these cameras, I think you're better off not using the built-in software and cloud uploads, and instead hook it to Blue Iris running on your PC. Have Blue Iris be the only way these cameras can be accessed... the Chinese won't have hacks built into that. (Blue Iris is just one guy who works 24x7 on this. Pretty sure he's not in China.)

Rating - 100%
7   0   0

Dont forget about smart watches, specially the Apple Watch. That thing is the biggest POS I have ever seen.

Every time I think about these things, I can picture a bunch of millionaires getting together, playing golf and laughing at the stupidity of the American market and the junk people buy.

My girl wanted one pretty bad, so in order for her to shut up about it, I bought her one for her birthday. I got a nice discount through some perks my company has.

1. Every function in that watch is horrible and useless.

2. The battery is a POS. It dies every night. She forgot to plug it in one day and couldnt use it the following day.

3. Anyone that needs an inaccurate device to track their movement all day to feel good about themselves, might as well give up and be a fat a**. If you cant push yourself to get off the couch and work out, the watch wont help you.

4. I hold her hand and can feel that sh*t vibrate with messages. I would have shot thst watch if someone gave it to me as a gift.

5. Tracking. Her phone wasnt enough, now needs a watch. It is pretty funny when we are watching a good movie and the watch tells her to "breathe" lol.

I tried looking at in a positive way and I just cant find a single good reason to own any smart watch.

End rant.

Adding ... Alexa, echo dot, or any other sort of listening device is not allowed in my house (except cellphones - unfortunately). My dad tried giving us one, I turned it down. Her brother lived with us for a few months and he got a free Alexa, I told him that sh*t wasnt allowed to be ON anywhere besides the guest bedroom.

Last edited:

Prepper

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Dont forget about smart watches, specially the Apple Watch. That thing is the biggest POS I have ever seen.

Every time I think about these things, I can picture a bunch of millionaires getting together, playing golf and laughing at the stupidity of the American market and the junk people buy.

My girl wanted one pretty bad, so in order for her to shut up about it, I bought her one for her birthday. I got a nice discount through some perks my company has.

2. The battery is a POS. It dies every night. She forgot to plug it in one day and couldnt use it the following day.

3. Anyone that needs an inaccurate device to track their movement all day to feel good about themselves, might as well give up and be a fat a**. If you cant push yourself to get off the couch and work out, the watch wont help you.

4. I hold her hand and can feel that sh*t vibrate with messages. I would have shot thst watch if someone gave it to me as a gift.

5. Tracking. Her phone wasnt enough, now needs a watch. It is pretty funny when we are watching a good movie and the watch tells her to "breathe" lol.

I tried looking at in a positive way and I just cant find a single good reason to own any smart watch.

End rant.

Adding ... Alexa, echo dot, or any other sort of listening device is not allowed in my house (except cellphones - unfortunately). My dad tried giving us one, I turned it down. Her brother loved with us wmfor a few months and he got a free Alexa, I told him that sh*t wasnt allowed to be ON anywhere besides the guest bedroom.
I tried figuring out an excuse for a Samsung watch, but I couldn't figure out how it would genuinely be more useful than just having a phone. I guess if I wanted to do the Fitbit thing with it, it could do that. Then I realized all it would do is 24x7 let me know how out of shape I am by showing me with a pulse of 120 after going up one flight of stairs. I prefer not to be reminded, and to have to pay for the privilege of being reminded. And I'm sure it would say something like "you walked 5000 steps today" and I'd be like "but I literally didn't go anywhere! I don't think occasionally moving between rooms counts!"

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I tried figuring out an excuse for a Samsung watch, but I couldn't figure out how it would genuinely be more useful than just having a phone. I guess if I wanted to do the Fitbit thing with it, it could do that. Then I realized all it would do is 24x7 let me know how out of shape I am by showing me with a pulse of 120 after going up one flight of stairs. I prefer not to be reminded, and to have to pay for the privilege of being reminded. And I'm sure it would say something like "you walked 5000 steps today" and I'd be like "but I literally didn't go anywhere! I don't think occasionally moving between rooms counts!"
The Fitbit is another gigantic POS. At least it is not as expensive as the Apple Watch.

The Fitbit is only good for people that need to feel good about a device that will throw a step count at them, even when half those steps was their hand move up to pick their nose.

Those same people usually count calories as well and think that eating a few oreo cookies is fine as long as they stay within a certain calorie count, not realizing calories dont mean sh*t and it's all about the retarded amount of sugar they are consuming. Then they wonder why they are fat AF.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All this smart home sh*t is pure marketing genius and proof that people buy way too much sh*t they dont need.

The only smart thing anyone needs in a house is a thermostat that will let you set the temperature throughout the day and night. And those have been around for decades.
Good point. I have a smart thermostat. It's pretty awesome.

End rant.

Adding ... Alexa, echo dot, or any other sort of listening device is not allowed in my house (except cellphones - unfortunately). My dad tried giving us one, I turned it down. Her brother loved with us wmfor a few months and he got a free Alexa, I told him that sh*t wasnt allowed to be ON anywhere besides the guest bedroom.
Apple sucks. Got it.

Cowgirlup

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Fitbit is another gigantic POS. At least it is not as expensive as the Apple Watch.

The Fitbit is only good for people that need to feel good about a device that will throw a step count at them, even when half those steps was their hand move up to pick their nose.

Those same people usually count calories as well and think that eating a few oreo cookies is fine as long as they stay within a certain calorie count, not realizing calories dont mean sh*t and it's all about the retarded amount of sugar they are consuming. Then they wonder why they are fat AF.
I have a client that just got one "free" with their medicare plan. This person already doesn't take care of themselves and this won't help at all. I also reminded them it wasn't Free. My expensive premium helped pay for it. I checked and I have no such perks.

jpk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0

Its not just your home....its your car......the systems in your car/truck collect a huge amount of info....from your smart phone contact and other info as well as app integration to where you drive......and most cars are now connected to the web and are accessible/phone home to GM etc as well as recieve updates.....

GM is amongst the worst as I understand it....

Last edited:

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0

Are you kidding???? I've seen the commercial where the guy tells his car to tell his house to turn on lights for his wife who apparently can't freaking turn them on herself.

How great is that??? In a short 30-40 seconds, you could turn on a light in your house. Wow!

My daughter has a smart-bulb. "Computer, turn off my light. . . . . . Computer! Turn off my light. . . . COMPUTER!. . . . . " Yeah. I have one of the first Alexa's in my house. I got it b/c it seemed like an interesting experiment. Until they speed up the give-and-take, it's not going to take off. Because I can turn a light on faster than telling my computer to turn on a light.

Prepper

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Are you kidding???? I've seen the commercial where the guy tells his car to tell his house to turn on lights for his wife who apparently can't freaking turn them on herself.

How great is that??? In a short 30-40 seconds, you could turn on a light in your house. Wow!

My daughter has a smart-bulb. "Computer, turn off my light. . . . . . Computer! Turn off my light. . . . COMPUTER!. . . . . " Yeah. I have one of the first Alexa's in my house. I got it b/c it seemed like an interesting experiment. Until they speed up the give-and-take, it's not going to take off. Because I can turn a light on faster than telling my computer to turn on a light.
My cousin has an Alexa, and she uses it to tell her daughter to go to sleep. "Alexa, tell my daughter to go to bed now" then Alexa does just that. LOL.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I work with a girl named Alexa, she is NOT amused.

I got a WYZE camera thanks to a recommendation from someone here on this very forum. It works OK for what it is supposed to do. It looks at my driveway and tells me whenever someone comes into the field of view I have programmed. It is in a seldom used room so it doesn't hear much of anything either. Having worked 30+ years in the computer industry, I well understand the abilities/limitations.

RumRunner

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I work with a girl named Alexa, she is NOT amused.

I got a WYZE camera thanks to a recommendation from someone here on this very forum. It works OK for what it is supposed to do. It looks at my driveway and tells me whenever someone comes into the field of view I have programmed. It is in a seldom used room so it doesn't hear much of anything either. Having worked 30+ years in the computer industry, I well understand the abilities/limitations.
Same here, I got a couple of them and use one to watch the dog when we are out. One in the basement and one in the garage. I have another that I move around if I have anyone working in the house so I can either look in on them, or have a record of what they were doing. They do a pretty good job for the money. I'd like to get something for outside, but I don't really have a place to plug it in so I need something that runs on a battery.

According to the reports, email address seems to be the biggest deal for me. I don't have any of the Alexa, etc... things, and passwords were not compromised (although I never reuse passwords, so it would only have been for that website). I guess someone could have my router name.

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Same here, I got a couple of them and use one to watch the dog when we are out. One in the basement and one in the garage. I have another that I move around if I have anyone working in the house so I can either look in on them, or have a record of what they were doing. They do a pretty good job for the money. I'd like to get something for outside, but I don't really have a place to plug it in so I need something that runs on a battery.

According to the reports, email address seems to be the biggest deal for me. I don't have any of the Alexa, etc... things, and passwords were not compromised (although I never reuse passwords, so it would only have been for that website). I guess someone could have my router name.
i am somewhat confused.

I must have like twelve email addresses. When some obnoxious program or website demands my email address, i pick one of the five from the BOTTOM of that list, never to be opened again! Don't all people do that...use spam email bucket holders for those sorts of accounts?

DarkNet

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I do something similar. I own multiple domains that I can control email. When a site requires an email address, I create a new one specific to that site. This way I know where it got compromised or if I start getting spam on that address, who's to blame. Frequently I set them up as forwarding email address so I don't have to "check" multiple addresses.
i am somewhat confused.

I must have like twelve email addresses. When some obnoxious program or website demands my email address, i pick one of the five from the BOTTOM of that list, never to be opened again! Don't all people do that...use spam email bucket holders for those sorts of accounts?

Bt74

NES Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Well the idea here is you stick it out the window pointing at your driveway so you can see if any suspicious people show up. It's possible the Chinese may be hacking this, although the info they will gain from this is rather limited. You don't want this in your bedroom or living room watching you all the time, unless maybe you want to be an unpaid p0rn star on some voyeur web site.

But with any of these cameras, I think you're better off not using the built-in software and cloud uploads, and instead hook it to Blue Iris running on your PC. Have Blue Iris be the only way these cameras can be accessed... the Chinese won't have hacks built into that. (Blue Iris is just one guy who works 24x7 on this. Pretty sure he's not in China.)
WOW, Someone might have gotten my user name! Now they can hack the two cameras looking out my windows. The horror! One looks up my driveway and one looks out at my food plot.

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
they should rename these Wyze cameras to be Stupidze cameras

enbloc

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
I'm a little old-fashioned. All my imaging devices are called "mirrors"...

To date: None have been hacked...

Top Bottom