• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

WWYD? What would you do?

Came across this video and it made me wonder a couple of things...

If you were approached in this manner what would you do? At this point the aggressor already has the drop on you. Drawing a weapon while his is already displayed doesn't sound like a good option.

Likewise if you were a witness to this... Would you tell the aggressor to drop the weapon and hope he doesn't spin and fire?

I'm sure im overthinking it and in the heat of the moment you'll react at that time. But this video just made me wonder about what I would do.

http://www.reddit.com/r/videos/comments/2gls41/my_buddy_getting_robbed_at_gunpoint_while_his/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fire until slide lock.

homeboy ****ed up by not having a weapon of any kind when hanging out in a place where this kind of shit happens in the middle of the street.

he would have had plenty of of chances to jam a knife into that dude's throat. ample time to draw and fire on several occasions, too.

This quote from the comments is awesome

Whenever I think someone might try to beat me up or mug me, I fake a Russian accent. Its genius. I'll be walking home late at night, two dangerous looking thugs will walk up to be like "Yo man, you know what neighborhood you're in?"
Russian Accent "You think this bad neighborhood...?"
Russians are the scariest white people.

I'd sound my rape whistle then call my mother, and then maybe pee on him.

Seriously though, I would exploit any opportunity to draw and fire...
and then maybe pee on his corpse.

Last edited:
Tough call and its easy to monday moring quarterbacking this when its not yourself, but as soon as that guy put his gun down by his pocket you really need to smash him in the face and knock him over using the bike and repeatedly stomp his dirty face into the cement, I mean I saw multiple times when that gun was pointed down and brute force could have been used.

I'm not a high speed death machine by any means, and i dont know how i would react in the situation if thrust into it suddenly like he was, but armchair QB'ing from my cushy computer chair with cheeto dust stains on my sweatpants, i think i could have drawn on and killed this guy if i was ccw'ing, whilst eating an average sized sandwich with my strong hand.

Likewise if you were a witness to this... Would you tell the aggressor to drop the weapon and hope he doesn't spin and fire?

something along the lines of...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not a high speed death machine by any means, and i dont know how i would react in the situation if thrust into it suddenly like he was, but armchair QB'ing from my cushy computer chair with cheeto dust stains on my sweatpants, i think i could have drawn on and killed this guy if i was ccw'ing, whilst eating an average sized sandwich with my strong hand.

something along the lines of...

Where did the cop come from? Was he an avenging angel of death. materializing out of nowhere?

Last edited by a moderator:
Where did the cop come from? Was he an avenging angel of death. materializing out of nowhere?

He was driving one of the black mini looking vehicles right across from where it all went down. He was there from the start, guess he was waiting for the right time. You can watch the full length vid in HD here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju7Vu4Oa4zE

Best part is they all stand around taking pictures of the bad guy roll around in pain and talking on their phones for a bit. The guy who got jacked starts chewing out the guy who got shot at around the 4:50 mark in the link I posted. Wish My Portuguese was up to snuff.

Last edited:
Get involved in defensive pistol training.
Yup. It's even more than that though. Shooting fast from concealment while someone yells 'bust em' is only a small piece. You really need pressure and interaction to solidify those decision making platforms. Imho
Got any suggestions on a good place?

I would have shot er'rybody. Twice.

For srs though.

https://www.facebook.com/Cloverleaf.Firearms.Group
Haha. Thanks man. @taxman truly being able to defend yourself starts long before the actual altercation, but once the cat is out of bag, training certainly helps.

Yup. It's even more than that though. Shooting fast from concealment while someone yells 'bust em' is only a small piece. You really need pressure and interaction to solidify those decision making platforms. Imho

Haha. Thanks man. @taxman truly being able to defend yourself starts long before the actual altercation, but once the cat is out of bag, training certainly helps.

#shortbusbustem

I assume starting long before would include not wearing a go pro strapped to your head in a foreign city where cars are up on blocks and windows are all boarded up.

I'm hoping to get up to one of your classes asap. One of those things you keep putting on the back burner but I just gotta do it.

I assume starting long before would include not wearing a go pro strapped to your head in a foreign city where cars are up on blocks and windows are all boarded

BINGO.... and even doing some simple wargaming. If X happened right now, I'd do Y. My wife thinks I'm nuts, but I'll zone out and just 'uh-huh' her to death if we're walking to car late at night or something... she knows what I'm thinking and doesn't complain.

BINGO.... and even doing some simple wargaming. If X happened right now, I'd do Y. My wife thinks I'm nuts, but I'll zone out and just 'uh-huh' her to death if we're walking to car late at night or something... she knows what I'm thinking and doesn't complain.

Situational awareness... something most people have ZERO of.

When my gf and I first started dating she asked me why I always insisted on sitting with my back to the wall and my face to the door when we went out somewhere. She thought I was paranoid or something. I explained to her why, out in public, I want to be aware of EVERYTHING that's going on around us. She gets it now but still gives me the "you're so funny" when we are seated at a restaurant and I first locate all the exits, then sit where I can see the door.

My father taught me all this starting at a young age and when he retired from law enforcement and stopped carrying every day, (right around the time I turned 21 and got my first LTC) He told me it was my turn to sit facing the door, and he was going to chow down and trust that I pay attention to EVERYTHING.

Don't worry Dad, I got it. R.I.P.

Situational Awareness, I tell my daughter that everytime I talk to her. She is a student and RA down at UVA and she tells me about how the young women are too trusting. I may have made her paranoid but it might save her life sometime. She just arranged a self defense class for students and was flooded with responses.

Situational Awareness, I tell my daughter that everytime I talk to her. She is a student and RA down at UVA and she tells me about how the young women are too trusting. I may have made her paranoid but it might save her life sometime. She just arranged a self defense class for students and was flooded with responses.

Sucks that students can't carry anything substantial to protect themselves. I hope you taught her to fight dirty if she ever finds herself in a shitty situation. Like, gouging eyeballs and kneeing testicles. F*ck all that "just piss yourself" garbage. [angry]

Sucks that students can't carry anything substantial to protect themselves. I hope you taught her to fight dirty if she ever finds herself in a shitty situation. Like, gouging eyeballs and kneeing testicles. F*ck all that "just piss yourself" garbage. [angry]

She knows that life is more important than a few arbitrary rules and I will leave it at that.

What would I do?

Well, for starters, whatever shithole that video was filmed in, I would make it a point to "not be there". [laugh]

-Mike

What would I do?

Well, for starters, whatever shithole that video was filmed in, I would make it a point to "not be there". [laugh]

-Mike

Best advice. Some of the places people go as tourists are mind boggling. Surprising how many violent places are popular with tourists. If you are going somewhere you think you might need a gun, don't.

If you were approached in this manner what would you do?

If there's nothing outrageously valuable in it, I'd give him the backpack. That's what I'd do. Even if I was carrying.

I am SO not interested in turning an armed robbery into a "well, you see, I was in imminent and otherwise inescapable fear for my life... so I drew and shot the fukka dead" type of court experience.

The "we're having an armed encounter" way to deal with this would be very quickly:
  1. Push the guy away, if he's within arm's reach.
  2. Quickly move off "the x" -- lateral to and away from the assailant
  3. Draw, once you're *well* out of the assailant's reach.
  4. ORDER the assailant to DROP THE WEAPON.

With either approach, you take your chances. But I like the "take my morchila, Mr. Homeboy. Just. Fakkin. Take. It. And leave me alone."

Too funny. To save some random kid's backpack? LOL. No. F'ing. Way.

Back
Top Bottom