• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

WWII Vet Shoots 5" Group at 1000 Yards

Not that I have even qualified on a 300 yard range yet, but is there anything in MA or NH that has a 1000 yard range? Just curious.

Not that I have even qualified on a 300 yard range yet, but is there anything in MA or NH that has a 1000 yard range? Just curious.

Not yet, but one is in the works at Pemi up in NH. The closest one that I know of right now is in NY. There are a few 600 yard ranges around though. (Reading, Nashua, Scarborough, etc.)

my heart races just thinking about shooting 1000yrds. Shooting 300yrds with a battle sight was tough enough, can not imagine 1000yrds. Awesome

my heart races just thinking about shooting 1000yrds. Shooting 300yrds with a battle sight was tough enough, can not imagine 1000yrds. Awesome
I've shot 600 with a service rifle on 1/2 a dozen occasions. I'm not a particularly good shot. On a calm day it wasn't all that hard to keep it in the 8 ring or better when prone. But I'm guessing that 1000 yards is a whole different ballgame. And I know that the 69 gr. Federal Gold Match ammunition that I used at 600 yards wouldn't cut it for 1000 yards.

Last edited:
I've shot 600 with a service rifle on 1/2 a dozen occasions. I'm not a particularly good shot. On a calm day it wasn't all that hard to keep it in the 8 ring or better when prone. But I'm guessing that 1000 yards is a whole different ballgame.

It's like anything else. You still have to do your part, but it is much easier with the right gear and ammunition.

B

If you shoot in NRA-sanctioned competition, the target looks the same at 1000 yards as it does at 100 yards. The targets scale up or down so the aiming black is always 6 MOA and the scoring rings always span more or less the same MOA.

The issue is not looking at the target. The farther the target is the more a slight adjustment will affect the final impact. That is all. Haven't done 300yrs in a while, but rememeber very well how much easier is to hit a 200yrd target vs a 300yrd and maintain a tight grouping with iron sights. The Vet on the video clearly still has the muscle memory to do the deed properly. Cudos to him

The issue is not looking at the target. The farther the target is the more a slight adjustment will affect the final impact. That is all. Haven't done 300yrs in a while, but rememeber very well how much easier is to hit a 200yrd target vs a 300yrd and maintain a tight grouping with iron sights. The Vet on the video clearly still has the muscle memory to do the deed properly. Cudos to him

If the target MOA is the same, then the same adjustment has the same affect. The bigger issue is the wind. It's not much of an issue at 200-300 yards. At 600 yards, the wind becomes a big deal. I remember a match at Devens where I missed a wind shift, and my 9s and 10s suddenly became a 7 at 3:00.

The longer distance, the slower your round is going, the more it is affected by wind.

Wind and velocity, very much in agreement. But tell me, how much a 1 mm "jerk" will translate form 100yrds to 300 and 600yrds. Especially when you are up in age and not quite as steady, Sand bag or not. Loved the Popup targets we used during training, from 50 to 300yrs with a few seconds to aquire and hit. Thanks for the feed back.

But tell me, how much a 1 mm "jerk" will translate form 100yrds to 300 and 600yrds. Especially when you are up in age and not quite as steady, Sand bag or not. Loved the Popup targets we used during training, from 50 to 300yrs with a few seconds to aquire and hit. Thanks for the feed back.
As Jose said, the size of the target is scaled at the different distances, such that the bull is always 6 MOA. So movement that displaces the barrel by 1 MOA will have the same scoring effect on the impact point at all distances. That is, while a 1 MOA mistake at 100 yards will move your impact point about 1" and a 1 MOA mistake at 600 yards will move your impact point about 6", the score would be the same because the 600 yard bull is proportionally larger.

My mistake. We are talking "targets". My brain was stuck thinking Standard "human size targets" at different distances. Of course in NRA-sanctioned competition, the target look the same at 1000 yards as it does at 100 yards. We are on the same page now. In the video the Veteran (80+yrs) was shooting human size targets at 1000yrds. In mybook, that is a skill not everybody can brag about, but a few elite. Very cool.

Ah, gotcha. Sorry for the confusion. And no argument on your post -- human sized target at 1000 yards is a whole lot harder than human sized target at 100 yards.

Awesome story and a wonderful tribute to an American hero, who was just doing his duty as an American to the best of his ability.

That was awesome. Wish I was related to him so he could teach me how to shoot like that!

Well, one of our forum mates claims to be able to shoot 10 for 10 on a 6 inch target with his NM M1A at 1000 yards. Maybe he can offer you some lessons.

Back
Top Bottom