WWII sniper rifles

gerrycaruso

NES Member
Tomorrow I'll shoot a 1903 Springfield against a 91/30 at 300 yards. The 03 has a William Malcolm 8x scope and the Mosin has the original scope with leather covers. I bought it from a Russian guy who said his grandfather carried it in WWII. It appears to be all original and in very nice shape. He wanted $500.00 and I thought that was cheap. Tomorrow will be an interesting day at the range

The 91/30 sounds very interesting. Love to see some pictures and look forward to a range report.

My money's on the 1903. The M91/30 snipers are really designated markesman (or markswoman) rifles.

mosin snipers can shoot. Get some decent ammo.
Lapua 185gn
Wolf gold if you can find some
Also PPU match

The hornady stuff is supposed to be good too but I never shot any

Tomorrow I'll shoot a 1903 Springfield against a 91/30 at 300 yards. The 03 has a William Malcolm 8x scope and the Mosin has the original scope with leather covers. I bought it from a Russian guy who said his grandfather carried it in WWII. It appears to be all original and in very nice shape. He wanted $500.00 and I thought that was cheap. Tomorrow will be an interesting day at the range
As long as both scopes are zeroed and ammo is decent it might be a close fight.
Unless if corse the mosin is a hashed together reproduction ( although the reproduction scopes found on the Molot rifles are decent)
The Malcom has 8x vs 2.5x on the mosin.
Both may or may not have good clarity?
I know the few original Malcoms I peaked through looked like the bottom of a empty dirty coke bottle.

So I say first 5 shots should be shot for group only, then you can mess with the scopes

How did the guy know his grandfather carried that rifle in ww2? Or was he saying he carried that MODEL of rifle in ww2?

What factory stamp is on it? What's the date of manufacture on the receiver? Are there any import Marks on it? Those were generally on the left side of the receiver and were made with a dot matrix kind of font with a etching pen.

Oh....and sounds like a good range session have fun.

Last edited:
How did the guy know his grandfather carried that rifle in ww2? Or was he saying he carried that MODEL of rifle in ww2?

What factory stamp is on it? What's the date of manufacture on the receiver? Are there any import Marks on it? Those were generally on the left side of the receiver and were made with a dot matrix kind of font with a etching pen.

Oh....and sounds like a good range session have fun.
I would press for any other related stuff to the rifle,$500 I would have bought the story and the rifle. You cant put a repro sniper together for $500

I had to settle for 200 yards at Shirley because the 200/300 at Harvard is closed during the cowboy match. I used a 150 grain Sierra Match King in the .30/06 and a 174 grain .312 Hornady hpbt match bullet in the 7.62x54R. The 03 won but not by a lot. The 03 has a better trigger and more than 3 times the magnification. I've already loaded more match ammo for the Mosin and will try 300 as soon as the cowboys are done with their match. Probably tomorrow.

I had to settle for 200 yards at Shirley because the 200/300 at Harvard is closed during the cowboy match. I used a 150 grain Sierra Match King in the .30/06 and a 174 grain .312 Hornady hpbt match bullet in the 7.62x54R. The 03 won but not by a lot. The 03 has a better trigger and more than 3 times the magnification. I've already loaded more match ammo for the Mosin and will try 300 as soon as the cowboys are done with their match. Probably tomorrow.
Now we need pictures!

I finally got to shoot at 300 and the 03 shot about 1MOA while the Mosin shot about 2MOA This was shooting match bullet handloads and I'm guessing that the much greater magnification of the 03 had a lot to do with the results. These rifles were meant to be shot by young men, not old geezers like me.The Mosin did better with ball ammo than the 03 but the Mosin was shooting factory ball ammo and the 03 was shooting mixed brass reloads. I'll ask my daughter to post some pictures when she gets home from her latest business trip. I don't know how.

Nice work! That '03 looks great.

Also a good deal on the Mosin. I think I paid ~$535 for mine not too long ago but other than yours haven't seen one much below $1K. Mine was a 2.5 MOA shooter but with some 'careful fitting' (CMP match shooters know what that means) I have been able to get it a little below 1 MOA. They respond well to tweaks.

Back
Top Bottom