• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

WWII re-enactment

Is this the same event that was held in Stow? I see on the maps the address are close. Did they change the location or just using this address for parking?

Are you serious ? If that is true this will be the last year I attend.

Maybe they'll relent in the years to come. There are two sides to every story. I joined the SS only because it was my best friend's unit - his grandfather was 1st SS. He wears his watch as his daily piece. Has kept good time for 75 years. I've been made unterscharfuhrer and Stabs Clerk (senior corporal/junior sergeant and staff clerk) as I am a little old and round.

Truth be told, I'd rather be Heer. My mother's a lilttle upset with me for it - she was born in Denmark three weeks after the Germans rolled in and grew up under occupation.

t

I'll be there in mufti. This year they are not allowing SS units to be politically correct.

t

you've got to be shitting me. Who said that, can they release an official statement regarding that?

Let me get this straight, SS is no bueno, but Soviets are OK? What a bunch of bullshit. I understand that they are private foundation but they should label their shit as "good feeling well sanitized "historical" foundation.

Let me be clear, this is exactly the problem with gun owners in MA, you bend over and take it up your ass then bitch about it.

- - - Updated - - -

Truth be told, I'd rather be Heer. My mother's a lilttle upset with me for it - she was born in Denmark three weeks after the Germans rolled in and grew up under occupation.

t

Good thing that she "wasn't liberated by Soviets like Berlin or Prussia or many other parts ... you figure out what happened to women and girls yourself.

Her eldest uncle on her father's side was killed at Verdun in April, 1916, at 21. Two other uncles were Heer and POW in Russia, and both escaped and made it home. Neither was 'right' in the head after the war.

t

Email conversation with my unit leader:

Me: Is this the event we're going mufti? Why?

"There's no SS allowed"

Me: ?!? Perhaps we should have Heer tunics; looks like a great event.

"Its a great event i used to crew 9th SS Tiger tank at that event, and last year i drove Bob Collings original Panther."

Me: Is there a Heer unit we're friendly with we could play with next year?

"Not likely most heer units won't let the SS come play. There used to be SS until last year. Then the neighbors made a stink that Bob bought 25 tanks so now no SS to keep everyone quiet."

Me: We can't wear smocks and play? I don't get it. Newbe to politics. But at least no SS insignia nor on the helmet with a cover. Decent compromise to me.

"SS Smocks are different"

"Most Heer units look at the SS guys as knckle dragging thugs and don't really give us respect. Some do. But its just like the 1940s the Heer wasn't happy when the SS turned up"

t

What is the noise level like at these events? I think my 5 year old would love it, but if it's earplug level, it might be too much for him.

It gets pretty loud, they sell ear plugs there but I use to bring my own when my son was little. You can google Battle for the air field re-enactment and watch the video to see what you think.

Last edited:
"Hogan's Hero's" will be banned as well as "Rat Patrol", "Combat", "Guns of Navarone", "Tobruk", "Where Eagles Dare", "Von Ryan's Express", "The Dirty Dozen", the list goes on.

I said to my wife over a month ago jokingly, "watch they will ban Gone with the Wind soon." A week later a theater in the south banned it from viewing. WTF???

More - in summary, the tanks needed their own road. The guy won a lawsuit against the local landowners and built the road. The land owners are suing him. Why? I don't know. Our 'presence' could give bad press and aid to the lawsuit; that's why we're banned.

Really? The potential 'threat' of reenactors wearing SS uniforms at A WW2 EVENT against political correctness is enough to get us the boot?

T

"Hogan's Hero's" will be banned as well as "Rat Patrol", "Combat", "Guns of Navarone", "Tobruk", "Where Eagles Dare", "Von Ryan's Express", "The Dirty Dozen", the list goes on.

I said to my wife over a month ago jokingly, "watch they will ban Gone with the Wind soon." A week later a theater in the south banned it from viewing. WTF???

At least there's still "Song of the South".

Email conversation with my unit leader:

Me: Is this the event we're going mufti? Why?

"There's no SS allowed"

Me: ?!? Perhaps we should have Heer tunics; looks like a great event.

"Its a great event i used to crew 9th SS Tiger tank at that event, and last year i drove Bob Collings original Panther."

Me: Is there a Heer unit we're friendly with we could play with next year?

"Not likely most heer units won't let the SS come play. There used to be SS until last year. Then the neighbors made a stink that Bob bought 25 tanks so now no SS to keep everyone quiet."

Me: We can't wear smocks and play? I don't get it. Newbe to politics. But at least no SS insignia nor on the helmet with a cover. Decent compromise to me.

"SS Smocks are different"

"Most Heer units look at the SS guys as knckle dragging thugs and don't really give us respect. Some do. But its just like the 1940s the Heer wasn't happy when the SS turned up"

t

I called the foundation last week and tried getting some official statement in this regard, not that I don't trust a fellow NESer, but I'd love to see what Collings had to say about it as explanation. I was told that all directories are out on vacation but someone will be available later this week.

For the purpose of the event, re-enactors are actors participating in a play, not some torch marching event. Also, this spells out that one kind of actors are OK, but some are not, i.e. you can not lower one scale and not raise the other. If someone in Collings feel that NKVD is somehow better, I got a few choice words for him/her.

The other problem is that there is no "they", there is probably one, just one specific dude, may be a couple, who is driving this and I would like to know who.

ok, here is an update on Collings and policies for re-enactors.

I called earlier this week, as I said I would. No directors were available again, but I got an email so I contacted one of the directors with the question if some re-enactors were not allowed based on whom they re-enact. I got a reply back very quick. According to this director, Collings Foundation "We are not really part of the reenactment community", nor they directly solicit re-enactors presence, merely work with people in that community to come and be part of the show.

The director explained that some were not invited back based on broken commitments (to be present for two, not one day) and interaction with public that's not up to their standard. There was nothing in the response about judgement call on which units were re-enacted. Also, "This is a public event on private party, and our process about who takes part is not really up for debate. "

I followed up with very specific question "Exclusion/non-invitation of units is NOT based on whom they re-enact?" + request for some Collings' official statement that could be shared in public. I have not heard anything back for day and a half.

Well, here are my thoughts:

0. I presume that this "rumor" of Collings doesn't allow re-enactment of certain units to be true.

1. Getting into modifying history rather than preserving it isn't what the foundation publicly states it does.

2. Once you file for tax-exempt status and forgo the obligation to pay millions in taxes, you are on the hook to MAMGL as a non-profit and all obligations that go with it. You are NOT like the other private collectors who pay taxes. The events that they put on are in fact an obligation according to the law, not something they do out of goodness of their heart.

3. I think that a lot what Collings does is good. I don't think that this revelation will damage them in the short run. In the long run, this attitude may result loosing their non-profit status, especially if what I hear their neighbors getting pissed off and forming a consorted effort to accomplish that. I hope that when it happens and Collings go to the public for support, they remember this.

4. As someone who have done shitload of non-paid volunteering work, their attitude and actions are pretty shitty. I think that it always happens to small non-profits that become too big and the goal is lost in pursuit of megalomaniac desire to expand. I hope that they get corrected.

At least one SS crew is here and they brought their Jagdpanzer 38(t) Hetzer tank destroyer. Very nice.
imagejpeg

Hopefully picture shows, from the phone at the show.

At least one SS crew is here and they brought their Jagdpanzer 38(t) Hetzer tank destroyer. Very nice.
imagejpeg

Hopefully picture shows, from the phone at the show.

Actually that vehicle belongs to The Collings Foundation. Was the same unit that crewed both the Hetzer and Stug. Is the same unit that used to bring their own vehicles (from NJ I believe), but now just crew the vehicles (except the driver) that belong to Collings.

Back
Top Bottom