WWII GI bring-back: 1935 Beretta?

So my in-laws are migrating to Florida finally and I am helping pack and they suddenly exclaim, "Hey, you like guns right? What's this?"

Out comes this old Beretta that has been kept in a sock for 60+ years.

She swears up and down . . . "I was told it was a Luger!, and its a .22 cal!"

She was ignored as usual and I did a little research and discovered it was a 1935 Beretta in .32 ACP. Anyway, I just wanted to know if anyone knew a little more about them, value and who and where or IF they were issued to Axis at all. I doubt it was actually a war trophy bring back and assume it may be something her father just acquired during his tour.

Just wanted a little info, any help is appreciated.
Thanks!

Here's some pictures, hope they help.
http://s821.photobucket.com/albums/zz139/xx240gxx/?action=view&current=beretta1.jpg

http://s821.photobucket.com/albums/zz139/xx240gxx/?action=view&current=beretta2.jpg

http://s821.photobucket.com/albums/zz139/xx240gxx/?action=view&current=beretta3.jpg

http://s821.photobucket.com/albums/zz139/xx240gxx/?action=view&current=beretta4.jpg

I think they were Italian Officer's pistols, My cousin has a similar one in .380 that was in fact from the Italian Army

I don't know about the .32s, but the .380s were issued to Italian officers. I've got one my father-in-law brought back from Rome. He was stationed in what had been Mussolini's headquarters, and one of the other NCOs found a case of them unissued and unfired stored there.

Ken

I have a 1934 .380 that was a gi bring-back. I think the .32 1935 was the civilian version. Because of some law citizens were not allowed to own guns in military calibers.

I'm tired, but it seems that both the .32 and .380 were "issue" arms. If there are markings: "RE" is army, "SP" is police.

At least that's what i can get from Smith's Small Arms of the World and Hogg's Military Small Arms of the 20th Century.
Both agree that they're good pieces.

Cool.

Bring backs. There's a concept that pisses me off... because it doesn't exist any more.

The prices of these guns are generally anywhere between $200-$400 based on their overall condition and functioning. Most in very good cosmetic & working condition seem to be worth around $350 more or less.
Some parts can be hard to find, including spare barrels. According to Blue Book some special models with fancy engraving can be worth up to 300% more.
But some of them are even given away for...free.

Last edited:
Those are pretty sweet little guns. Lack of spare cash and the desire to not stock another caliber before I start reloading are the only thing that have kept me from picking one up.

I have a sweet (90%) 1934 380 acp manufactured in 1942 and it is loads of fun. The war production 1934s were officer's pistols (AF, Army, Navy) and the later ones are for police or civilian service. They were stamped with an additional marking in roman numerals that correspond with the fascist government taking over Italy.

The war time 1934's in .32 were also officer's guns and many of them have Nazi marks, in addition to Italian stamps. There are a couple of good books ( the best being Beretta Pistols - The Ultimate Guide by J.B. Wood) that give a lot info on the war time pistols.

Pictures

I didn't look at the pictures until now. Your pistol may have been a late wartime pistol when they were rushing them out the door. Beretta produced a small number of them at that time with no markings on the slide.

What is the serial number marked on the other side of the pistol (you only closely show the left side in the pictures). I may be able to help you with a date of manufacturing.

Ash

Wow, thanks for all the information everyone, the strange thing is like you mentioned samandglove1, there are no markings on the slide whatsoever except the serial number, but if you could get a date that would be awesome! I also just discovered it is in fact marked 4UT on the frame right near the tang. Very small marking that I needed a magnifying glass to see.

The serial number is : 603708
The only other marking on the pistol at all is the caliber which is metric (7.65) and the S stamped for the safety.

Thanks for you help again guys, I think its all pretty interesting. Also, its a pretty cool little gun.

So it seems that your pistol was a very late (one of the last) WWII produced 1935. It looks like it was manufactured at the very end of 1944 or the very beginning of 1945 and it was produced for the Nazis (only used by officers). It is generally accepted that #615969 was the last wartime 1935 produced by the end of the war, so your pistol was not too much before that. The 4UT marking is pretty cool.

Have fun with it.

I have been doing some internet research and here is something I found on the Gun Boards forum regarding disposition of the Beretta's. Check them out gunboards.com there is alot of info there.

According to a letter from Beretta (dated 1985) to Col. Robert Whittington they stated the following about Model 1935 pistol sales:
-----------------------------------------------
In October 1943 the Beretta Company started the production of model 1935 caliber 7.65 pistols, having a serial number of 500.000. Listing herebelow to whom all pistols have been sold up to April 1945:

Serial number 500.000, Date of sale October 1943 to Serial number 509.000, Date of sale March 1944, Sold to- German Army Hqs, Social Rep. of Italy - Navy, Few sporting dealers..

Serial number 509.000, Date of sale March 1944 to Serial number 525.000, Date of sale June 1944, Sold to- German Army Hqs.

Serial number 525.000, Date of sale June 1944 to Serial number 534.000, Date of sale August 1944, Sold to- German Army Hqs., Japan Imperial Army.

Serial number 534.000, Date of sale August 1944 to Serial number 599.000, Date of sale February 1945, Sold to- German Army Hqs.

Serial number 599.000, Date of sale February 1945 to Serial number 616.000, Date of sale April 1945, Sold to- German Army Hqs, Social Rep. of Italy - Army Hqs.

Naturally, not all 616.000 serial numbers were used so it wouldn't be correct to say that we produced 616.000 pieces of model 1935 cal. 7.65 pistols.

Sincerely,
(Alessandro Viti)
p.p. FABB. D'ARMI BERETTA - S.p.A.

I saw a Beretta 1935 in .32 at Zero Hour a few weeks ago for a pretty good price. I stupidly told myself that I absolutely did not need another old handgun. Last week, when I realized that I absolutely had to have it, I went back to the shop and it was gone.

Once a dumbass, always a dumbass..........

I have a Model 1934 in .380. Its story is similar, but better.

My dad landed at Utah beach on D-Day as a 1LT. He was issued this gun along with US stamped leather.

He really didn't like the "9mm corto". When he had the opportunity, he upgraded to a 1911 (presumably from a fallen soldier). The M1934 retired to his duffel, and stayed there until he returned in 1945.

The assumption was that it was part of a batch captured in the Italian campaign. There were shortages, and they were issued to officers for the invasion. I once tried to find out how many were ussed. Perhaps just to the 4ID.

--jcr

Back
Top Bottom