• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

WWII German Squad Tactics

A German unit had twice as many machine guns as an equivalent allied one. The advance centered around the machine gun and the riflemen were in support. Interesting there were at least two full length WW1 Gew98s of the 9 riflemen.

T

Produced by the Brit's with captured weapons of the period? Interesting that the German soldier does not chamber a new round before advancing. That makes me think this was an educational film made by the Brit's, rather than actual German footage.

My great uncle started his WWII service in Africa just ahead of Montgomery rolling in. He said Brit and Australia comandos came in just ahead of the campaign to target machine gun posts. He was pulled from Africa to begin training as 10th mountain because he could ski.

Produced by the Brit's with captured weapons of the period? Interesting that the German soldier does not chamber a new round before advancing. That makes me think this was an educational film made by the Brit's, rather than actual German footage.

That and the fact that there are multiple cameras out in the open and they're shooting blanks. :)

In the book “Shots Fired in Anger” the author waxes eloquent on the virtues of the Nambu Light Machine, Gun, stating the Allies had no equivalent.

An Army Light Infantry Platoon typically consists of three squads and two machine gun teams, while a Ranger Platoon typically has three.

If you read the book; Stormtroop Tactics: Innovation in the German Army, 1914-1918 you'll see many similarities that developed the weapons capabilities and tactics of the U.S. (especially the USMC) in WWII.

Amazon link to the book: https://tinyurl.com/yahgqck2

If you'll see many similarities that developed the weapons capabilities and tactics of the U.S. (especially the USMC) in WWII.
As the USMC officially adopted the M1903 Springfield as their battle rifle in late 1940, it sure doesn’t seem they were following German developments at all.

The US Army translated the German Army’s field manual and like the Brits, made training films to demonstrate their tactics.

The Army often found the Germans to behave “By the book” and this predictibility was exploited.

But all moot in this sense. I had extensive personal conversations with Colonel Gunther Brehde, a WWII Fallschirmjager (Paratrooper) who fought against pretty much everyone. The US Army’s development of “Time on Target” artillery was absolutely devastating and demoralizing. He said US Army Infantry had so much confidence they would advance as little as 100 meters behind the barrage, versus 600 meters.

When asked who the best infantry soldiers he faced were, he replied the the Free Poles ferocious and deadly. They did not expect to be taken prisoner.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom