• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

WWII era 1911

In exchange for the wedding band my fiance has agreed to buy me a 1911 on an approximately 2k budget. I would like something that saw service overseas in WWII, preferbly a colt. It may get shot occasionally but more likey will spend most of its time as a collector/display peace. I'm not looking to buy a story, but something of WWII vintage is definitely a requirement. True collector value (matching numbers) is not as important to me as it being correct for the period, functional, and not completely trashed. I'd like a colt, just because.

I know very little on this subject so feel free to school me.

Mike

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

With some careful shopping you should be able to find something for between $1000 and $1500. Go on Gunbroker and type "Colt 1911A1" in the search field. That will give you the HIGH END of what you should be paying. Don't rush or you will overpay. Buy the gun, not the story.

With some careful shopping you should be able to find something for between $1000 and $1500. Go on Gunbroker and type "Colt 1911A1" in the search field. That will give you the HIGH END of what you should be paying. Don't rush or you will overpay. Buy the gun, not the story.

Sometimes... the story is worth it.

I'd gladly pay a premium for any rifle or pistol carried by any member of Easy Company (101st Airborne).

But everyone is different.

Collectors in nh seems to every time I go in there have a ww2 era 1911. Just need to figure out the transfer . Why I really need a c&r...

I had a chance to nab a m1911 for 1k$ but some one tried to fix the front sight . Wasn't sure if it could be fix right since the person brazed it badly.
I also really want a ww2 era 1911 to go with my grand pa's take home p38 .

im more amazed you got out of having to wear a wedding ring brother haha your getting a double score [smile]

Do you have your C&R FFL? If not, get one - makes it easier/less costly to find what you are looking for. Otherwise you are penalized by the "legally owned in MA by '98" BS. Best $30 I ever spent.

How hard is it to move on a C&R? I'm gonna be moving at the very least around the state a bit the next few years, that has been the only thing holding me back. Also, how long does it take to process?

Mike

Don't know about the move for sure since I haven't done it - I think you file a form to update your license/receiving info. As far as how long, I got it in about five weeks (two years ago). Others may have more recent info for application processing since this stuff seems to be "seasonable". You do need to keep a written record of your C&R purchases, and which is legally open for audit (your records must match what you show them). From what I've heard such an audit is rare for most modest collectors. But I have to say that being able to purchase out of state opens up big opportunities for anything collectable. And even in state for C&R purchases you get to avoid the whole "call in" thing and possibly the roster issue.

Definitely think about a C&R, best money I've ever spent... personally I know I wouldn't have gotten half of my collection if it weren't for that wonderful thing [grin]

I am on the lookout for a ww2 1911 too... but my list is long and never ending so you'll probably beat me to it, besides I'm busy with German guns at the moment anyways, oh and saving up for a stupid ring [rolleyes]...

Do you have your C&R FFL? If not, get one - makes it easier/less costly to find what you are looking for. Otherwise you are penalized by the "legally owned in MA by '98" BS. Best $30 I ever spent.

Any MA FFL or seller with some common sense will transfer a Colt 1911A1 into the state. How do you think Gen 2 Glocks come in?

I too would love a 1911A1 to go w/ my Garands. So I will definitely be following the mistakes and tips given in this thread.

What am I looking for in terms of serial numbers, proof marks, etc?

Mike

Mike I have a copy of the collectors guide for 1911 if you want to borrow it. I use it all the time when at gun-shows etc. You will be surprised what some folks think are all correct, or never been refurbed etc. PM me your address and I will get it out in the mail tomorrow. The key is to shop around and not limit yourself to the dealers around the Northeast. out West and down South are far better markets.

My advise is take your time. At first you see some that look great. Think about it. Plus red the book. Its an easy read and well wroth it.

If you are coming to the Wilmington GS I can bring it with me. I am working at the Stoney Acres tables.

Any MA FFL or seller with some common sense will transfer a Colt 1911A1 into the state. How do you think Gen 2 Glocks come in?

Not sure you understand how the restrictions on FFL handgun transfers work. Just because a WWII 1911A1 was certainly made before '98, doesn't mean it can be taken in from out of state and sold to an LTC-holder via an FFL01 dealer.

This is why a C&R is essential to collectors of these old milsurps. You are basically legally "bypassing" the AG/ EOPS bullshit and FFL01 transfer process altogether. I will always renew my C&R license.

Last edited:
I guess I don't understand, care to elaborate?

Because in order to be legally transferred to a MA resident by a MA licensed dealer, handguns either (1) need to be on "the list(s)", or (2) need to have been legally owned in MA prior to '98.

The first is pretty much no for all C&Rs, and and if you are buying from out of state, the second is almost certainly a no as well.

Back
Top Bottom