• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

WWII Carbine Summer Postal League CLOSED Winner Post #102 45collector

well then keep shooting to "I" say its cold enough

Yes please...a couple more days at least so I can enter the K31 for my first and very likely only submission to the match. I actually brought it back from Indiana just in case the Winchester 1917 wasn't going to be ready for the October vintage CMP match at OCSA. I still might use the K31 even though the Winny is currently under the knife by the spaghetti head. Mostly because the sights were part of the recent refurb and I don't want to waste too much 30-06 trying to find my zero in a match setting.

I actually thought this was closed already, or I would have entered my target from last Saturday.

Slow prone target from Camp Ethan Allen, K31 for CMP Vintage, 200 yards on electronic SR:

1D0viNol.jpg

Firing point 2 kinda sucks, because it's rolling off to the left. Not as much as #1, which really sucks. Should have not cleared after my sighters so I could claim an official 15 shot target. Last 3 sighters were X's, IIRC first two shots were at least 9's so would have been 147-7X.

You can see a reflection of the K31 receiver across the lower part of the screen, and my ugly mug at upper left.

Yes please...a couple more days at least so I can enter the K31 for my first and very likely only submission to the match. I actually brought it back from Indiana just in case the Winchester 1917 wasn't going to be ready for the October vintage CMP match at OCSA. I still might use the K31 even though the Winny is currently under the knife by the spaghetti head. Mostly because the sights were part of the recent refurb and I don't want to waste too much 30-06 trying to find my zero in a match setting.

I actually thought this was closed already, or I would have entered my target from last Saturday.
Enter what ever you want, still warm out.

Slow prone target from Camp Ethan Allen, K31 for CMP Vintage, 200 yards on electronic SR:

1D0viNol.jpg

Firing point 2 kinda sucks, because it's rolling off to the left. Not as much as #1, which really sucks. Should have not cleared after my sighters so I could claim an official 15 shot target. Last 3 sighters were X's, IIRC first two shots were at least 9's so would have been 147-7X.

You can see a reflection of the K31 receiver across the lower part of the screen, and my ugly mug at upper left.
Thats a decent monitor.

Thats a decent monitor.

You can zoom in, zoom out, and visibility is good even in very bright sunlight. The system is very exacting, however. You'll never get the benefit of the doubt if something looks like it might be touching the line. It is, or it isn't.

200 yards on SR target. 146-1X, sighters plus 10 for score at today's CMP match, Old Colony.

rLXg2JJl.jpg

Some pics of the K31:

DWhGoGUl.jpg

iIswHh5l.jpg

Learned something new from 76Too today. The 'P' stamped on top where barrel meets the receiver denotes that the rifle was released from the military for public use. This rifle has some Schutzenfest stickers and the larger white sticker identifies the owner and his business. Unter the butt plate is a troop tag for the same individual but during his time in the service.

Target 1: 139/150 - 2x - 100 yds
Target 2: 120/130 - 2x - 100 yds

I think I've found my load!
View attachment 303652
View attachment 303653

My last two entries for the match. 44gr Varget with 200 gr Nosler HPBT. Not sure if it's 100% the load or the fact that I gave the K98 a thorough cleaning (first since May) or a combo of both. Either way dead on elevation-wise. Still need to hold to the right to compensation for the front sight--does anyone have any recommendations on a front sight tool? I'd really like to bump it over as I think I could really shoot well with it once it's perfectly zeroed. I'll have to get the sight hood off and then on again as well.

View attachment 303655

No spotting scope so I was stunned when I went down to see target two. Very rarely can I shoot that well...I think the K98 has now claimed the title from my Lee-Enfield. Oddly, I was kind of rushing due to time constraints; maybe it caused me not to overthink things. I mismanaged my rounds though: doing some off hand practice on the steel plates between the two SR-1s I ended up only having 13 rounds left for the second target.

Prior to the Noslers (this is the second batch I've made) I had only ever used 150gr Hornady, so that might have something to do with it. My K98 has, for the year I've had it, done well for me.

Perfect weather, an ideal way for me to round off the match. I told a friend of mine that I think the K98 will need to go into semi-retirement for a while now, since it's been basically the only thing I've shot this summer apart from a few NH range trips to use my ARs/AKs and to shoot another member's FAL.

Already thinking ahead to the Winter Warrior Match!

View attachment 303656
I ordered the 98 transitional front band with the sling swivel at 6 OC from liberty tree collectors. Im also going to pick up a new front sight blank thats squared and then a rear sight leaf and either mod it to take a aperture of some sort or just square notch a sight?

I ordered the 98 transitional front band with the sling swivel at 6 OC from liberty tree collectors. Im also going to pick up a new front sight blank thats squared and then a rear sight leaf and either mod it to take a aperture of some sort or just square notch a sight?
Let me know how the band works. The current sling setup works pretty well for me off hand.

I didn’t hear the fat lady sing yet...so I took my matching ’39 Sauer K98 to the range. 100 yards, artificially small target - SR-1 would have been a higher score. 3 boxes ‘53 Yugo surplus, 1 of ‘56...the lowest score. Didn’t look close enough. 1 double tap in the ‘56. Scored 115/0, 117/1, 87/0, and 119/0. Still a lot of effort to do this. But fun.

t

Attachments

• 6E3EF6B6-9A46-48A8-8FCB-10742D74C4CC.jpeg
    6E3EF6B6-9A46-48A8-8FCB-10742D74C4CC.jpeg
    169.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Being a proctologist by nature, I overlaid each target onto a SR-1 target, with a pencil through the pair of X’s. New adjusted scores: 123/1, 131/1, 119/0, and 133/1.

Now that’s more like it

t

Attachments

• 9F4B6D28-23EA-4318-889C-FD819686C3E0.jpeg
    9F4B6D28-23EA-4318-889C-FD819686C3E0.jpeg
    75.2 KB · Views: 7
Official Closed

I will pick a winner by random selection soon
I think this was a nice contest.
I debated doing a Red October / November (date difference due to calendar systems) but didn't get around to it.

I have an idea for another competition for December, but it wouldn't be strictly milsurp.

Still, I think it's fun to have "motivation" for getting out to the range.

I like seeing all the guns and targets, got some of the guns I dont shoot out to the range also.

I have another purge coming up after the holidays and might get another boxOsheet to offer up as a prize in some other type of match. Im still adding to the prize box for this match

Back
Top Bottom