WWII Carbine Summer Postal League CLOSED Winner Post #102 45collector

You know, nothing else makes sense. Prolly be back at the range on Saturday. Is there a way to fix the rear site so it won't move that way? Wifes nail polish (clear)
comes to mind...
the rear sights do not come apart easy....basically all staked together depending on what style machined or stamped. I gave up trying to get my windage knob/screw appart to fix one of my sights. I ordered a complete sight

Such a beautiful day. Took the new Underwood out today at 25 yards. New Aguila ammo. But we have a problem. The op-rod cycles the action and chambers a round, but does not cock the hammer. So it was one shot at a time, eject a live round to cock it, and repeat. Hopefully when I compare it to my Winchester I can figure out what’s wrong. Didn’t bother at 100 until I get this fixed. Also put a couple mags out of my Mauser HSc.

t

Attachments

• F7E37E9B-388F-411F-A73C-48A5BEF66BBC.jpeg
    F7E37E9B-388F-411F-A73C-48A5BEF66BBC.jpeg
    116.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 906B5B64-F9A1-4CE2-BD11-1FD2F9F143AF.jpeg
    906B5B64-F9A1-4CE2-BD11-1FD2F9F143AF.jpeg
    142.7 KB · Views: 5
Such a beautiful day. Took the new Underwood out today at 25 yards. New Aguila ammo. But we have a problem. The op-rod cycles the action and chambers a round, but does not cock the hammer. So it was one shot at a time, eject a live round to cock it, and repeat. Hopefully when I compare it to my Winchester I can figure out what’s wrong. Didn’t bother at 100 until I get this fixed. Also put a couple mags out of my Mauser HSc.

t
The sear and sear spring are the week link in the carbine trigger. I have had the hammer hook snap off also.

So what exactly am I looking at? Working one (top), parkerized IBM on the bottom = not. I've never detail stripped one of these before.

t

Attachments

• IMG_8231.jpg
    IMG_8231.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_8232.jpg
    IMG_8232.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_8233.jpg
    IMG_8233.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_8234.jpg
    IMG_8234.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_8235.jpg
    IMG_8235.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I took my Inland out about a week ago with one of the 50yd targets I downloaded from the link posted here. Thought it was sighted in for 50yds already so I took 10 shots and checked the target and they were all low. Adjusted the sights up one click. Unfortunately I didn't have another printed so I used this Caldwell 8" target and superimposed the 50yd B-6 rings on it after taking my 10 shots.
50yd.jpg
That translated to a 99 - 6x

Then I came back to this thread and found out we were supposed to do 15 shots lol. So back to the range this weekend for 15 shots @ 100yds with the same gun and ammo:
IMG_20190827_154542.jpg
IMG_20190827_154546.jpg

That is a 139/150 from the bench resting on the bag. The two high shots were my first two and I used a slightly lower hold for the rest rather than messing with the sights.

As I recall the rifle has the correct barrel and parts. I don't remember if the stock is right but its too pretty to mess with!

Nice. Like most, it has been rearsenaled and had the upgraded sights, flip safety, and bayonet lug added.

Thanks, never really dug into the details on it too much. Price was right and it looks good and shoots good so that was all that really mattered to me.

I took my Inland out about a week ago with one of the 50yd targets I downloaded from the link posted here. Thought it was sighted in for 50yds already so I took 10 shots and checked the target and they were all low. Adjusted the sights up one click. Unfortunately I didn't have another printed so I used this Caldwell 8" target and superimposed the 50yd B-6 rings on it after taking my 10 shots.
View attachment 300009

Then I came back to this thread and found out we were supposed to do 15 shots lol. So back to the range this weekend for 15 shots @ 100yds with the same gun and ammo:
View attachment 300010
View attachment 300012

That is a 139/150 from the bench resting on the bag. The two high shots were my first two and I used a slightly lower hold for the rest rather than messing with the sights.

As I recall the rifle has the correct barrel and parts. I don't remember if the stock is right but its too pretty to mess with!
Nice, mot going to hold anyone to the shot count or score . Prizes are luck of the draw. High scores are bragging rights so on the 24th you can fist pump with a srong slow Yyyyyeeeeessss! All while giving yourself the thumbs up in the reflection if your screen!!!

View attachment 300009

View attachment 300010
View attachment 300012

Good looking carbine and not to bad at 100 yards for UMC. My carbines puked on that stuff

Trigger assembly and op-rod are en route back to the seller to be rebuilt. Op-rod spring was about 1 inch too short.

t
That just sucks, like I said that hammer spring looks “new” so someone might have been there already

Good looking carbine and not to bad at 100 yards for UMC. My carbines puked on that stuff

Thanks, probably would have been a couple of points better if I had those first two shots sighted in. My carbine likes that ammo and Aguilla as well as my reloads. It really doesn't like the Israeli police hollowpoints though, they're all over the place.

Put 50 rounds of mixed .32 acp out of the HSc before the rains came. Used Remington, Winchester, PPU, and Fiochhi. This pistol just loves PPU 71gr JHP.

t

Attachments

• 59D7EE0E-4C17-43AD-A87B-218C0433B5A5.jpeg
    59D7EE0E-4C17-43AD-A87B-218C0433B5A5.jpeg
    157.6 KB · Views: 4
Sent the trigger group and op-rod spring back to the seller. His response:

"All good to go I replaced the sear and recoil spring and had the same results you did..

I replaced the hammer and hammer spring it runs fine now I actually think it may have been the hammer (wear) but I'm including the replacement recoil spring as the one that was in it is about an .75"- 1" short in my opinion... Sorry for the inconvenience.. I'll get the trigger group and spring in the mail Tue after Labor Day Thanks"

t

Sent the trigger group and op-rod spring back to the seller. His response:

"All good to go I replaced the sear and recoil spring and had the same results you did..

I replaced the hammer and hammer spring it runs fine now I actually think it may have been the hammer (wear) but I'm including the replacement recoil spring as the one that was in it is about an .75"- 1" short in my opinion... Sorry for the inconvenience.. I'll get the trigger group and spring in the mail Tue after Labor Day Thanks"

t
I hope it all works out.

Underwood carbine. New Remington ammo, 25 and 100 yards.

t

Attachments

• F298E0C8-19AA-4283-9EBC-49F490A47136.jpeg
    F298E0C8-19AA-4283-9EBC-49F490A47136.jpeg
    139.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 44EF8D08-62F5-49BB-8782-EBFF395CCBB4.jpeg
    44EF8D08-62F5-49BB-8782-EBFF395CCBB4.jpeg
    144.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 6563AA24-E25C-4562-9684-A9E6768A441C.jpeg
    6563AA24-E25C-4562-9684-A9E6768A441C.jpeg
    130.8 KB · Views: 9
  • BBD3F6A7-2CB5-4C1E-A68E-63D023F383AE.jpeg
    BBD3F6A7-2CB5-4C1E-A68E-63D023F383AE.jpeg
    118.4 KB · Views: 8
133 / 150 2x - 100yds

t.jpg
Another run with the K98.

First time trying the Nosler 200 gr HP bullets instead of my normal Hornady 150s.
Varget for powder.

a.jpg

Probably my favorite bolt action. Just enjoyable to shoot.
r.jpg

133 / 150 2x - 100yds

View attachment 302586
Another run with the K98.

First time trying the Nosler 200 gr HP bullets instead of my normal Hornady 150s.
Varget for powder.

View attachment 302587

Probably my favorite bolt action. Just enjoyable to shoot.
View attachment 302588
Nice , now to find the sling swivel that gets to 6 oclock.
I still have not found one that fits.
i use a web GI sling anyway.
If I can get out and zero my k98 I might bring it. IF I can see the rear notch.

Target 1: 139/150 - 2x - 100 yds
Target 2: 120/130 - 2x - 100 yds

I think I've found my load!
t1.jpg
t2.jpg

My last two entries for the match. 44gr Varget with 200 gr Nosler HPBT. Not sure if it's 100% the load or the fact that I gave the K98 a thorough cleaning (first since May) or a combo of both. Either way dead on elevation-wise. Still need to hold to the right to compensation for the front sight--does anyone have any recommendations on a front sight tool? I'd really like to bump it over as I think I could really shoot well with it once it's perfectly zeroed. I'll have to get the sight hood off and then on again as well.

a.jpg

No spotting scope so I was stunned when I went down to see target two. Very rarely can I shoot that well...I think the K98 has now claimed the title from my Lee-Enfield. Oddly, I was kind of rushing due to time constraints; maybe it caused me not to overthink things. I mismanaged my rounds though: doing some off hand practice on the steel plates between the two SR-1s I ended up only having 13 rounds left for the second target.

Prior to the Noslers (this is the second batch I've made) I had only ever used 150gr Hornady, so that might have something to do with it. My K98 has, for the year I've had it, done well for me.

Perfect weather, an ideal way for me to round off the match. I told a friend of mine that I think the K98 will need to go into semi-retirement for a while now, since it's been basically the only thing I've shot this summer apart from a few NH range trips to use my ARs/AKs and to shoot another member's FAL.

Already thinking ahead to the Winter Warrior Match!

r.jpg

Target 1: 139/150 - 2x - 100 yds
Target 2: 120/130 - 2x - 100 yds

I think I've found my load!
View attachment 303652
View attachment 303653

My last two entries for the match. 44gr Varget with 200 gr Nosler HPBT. Not sure if it's 100% the load or the fact that I gave the K98 a thorough cleaning (first since May) or a combo of both. Either way dead on elevation-wise. Still need to hold to the right to compensation for the front sight--does anyone have any recommendations on a front sight tool? I'd really like to bump it over as I think I could really shoot well with it once it's perfectly zeroed. I'll have to get the sight hood off and then on again as well.

View attachment 303655

No spotting scope so I was stunned when I went down to see target two. Very rarely can I shoot that well...I think the K98 has now claimed the title from my Lee-Enfield. Oddly, I was kind of rushing due to time constraints; maybe it caused me not to overthink things. I mismanaged my rounds though: doing some off hand practice on the steel plates between the two SR-1s I ended up only having 13 rounds left for the second target.

Prior to the Noslers (this is the second batch I've made) I had only ever used 150gr Hornady, so that might have something to do with it. My K98 has, for the year I've had it, done well for me.

Perfect weather, an ideal way for me to round off the match. I told a friend of mine that I think the K98 will need to go into semi-retirement for a while now, since it's been basically the only thing I've shot this summer apart from a few NH range trips to use my ARs/AKs and to shoot another member's FAL.

Already thinking ahead to the Winter Warrior Match!

View attachment 303656
I have one like this somewhere, worked well
German Mauser K98, Gewehr 98, Swede M96, Turkish M38 Front Sight Adjusting Tool. | eBay
I forget how much it moves the sight per 1/4 turn but it was easy enough to use on the line.

I have decided to extend the summer postal match until the weather turns! looks like a nice warm drift into fall! I think maybe the first day it does not break 60'F or Halloween?

Last edited:
I have decided to extend the summer postal match until the weather turns! looks like a nice warm drift into fall! I think maybe the first day it does not break 60'F or Halloween?
Thursday here will be low 50s:
upload_2019-9-30_10-49-13.png

Friday and Saturday will have lows in the 30s.

Back
Top Bottom