WWII Carbine Summer Postal League CLOSED Winner Post #102 45collector

Pulling in my 100 yard target. Hope to get out a couple more times.

t

Attachments

• 5A5975DF-528D-4E71-8052-5D3498097878.jpeg
    5A5975DF-528D-4E71-8052-5D3498097878.jpeg
    160.7 KB · Views: 18
Pulling in my 100 yard target. Hope to get out a couple more times.

t
For a plinker it groups pretty good with better ammo. I usually just run cheap fodder and p!ink at 4" steel at 100 yards.
22lr with good ammo and no wind is capable of moa at 100 yards. I dont know when it happened but long ago 22lr small bore matches where run to 200 yd ended at some point?
Pembroke still has a 200 yd off hand league in the summer with lights and everything.
Same with silhouette matches. Seems to have completely died in this area.
heres a good one shooting at 2moa targets at 200 yards. With some wind. Theres shooters out there pushing 22lr 300+

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d56w2ug9oJs

Last edited:
Dude, chill. Working on it. Had to work today (down PBX and a server room that was at 105F!) and yesterday I was riding in the parade in Woodville, NH with the Mt Sinai #3 Shriner's Cycle Unit.

Just printed some B2 targets, so soon...

I'll post my 200 yard K31 target from the match this Sunday. Will include the prone 5 sighters plus 10 for score to make it 15. Sighters could make it 'fun', should be on paper. Unless a M39 is somehow considered a carbine, I only have the K31 for this period.

I'll post my 200 yard K31 target from the match this Sunday. Will include the prone 5 sighters plus 10 for score to make it 15. Sighters could make it 'fun', should be on paper. Unless a M39 is somehow considered a carbine, I only have the K31 for this period.
I was thinking same thing. Plus if I dont stop moving tonight i might get 15 rounds loaded up for the M44 to try between relays Sunday. I have no idea where this thing shoots so it will be fun and useful

OK... not too shabby.

Plainfield M1 Carbine. Haven't shot it in something like 7 years; the ammo is some sketchy reloads - had one dud most of the way through it, which is where I lost NPOA as you can see. Had to single load the last round, too... Position was seated at a bench but the rifle was supported by the sling and my elbows - no bag. 25 yards.

20190705_190709.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like I've traded my M03A3 Smith-Corona for an Inland M1 Carbine.....serial number is something out of The Twilight Zone as it relates to me personally...but I won't say it now lest I jinx myself.

We adopted another furry milsurp a week ago today...our smallest one was diagnosed with terminal lung cancer two weeks ago and doesn't have a long time left.[sad]

Our son did his first ever honest work at age 17.5 - cutting the grass. A well spent $10 in my current condition. [smile]

t

Attachments

• IMG_7697.jpg
    IMG_7697.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_7709.jpg
    IMG_7709.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 16
  • Screen Shot 2019-07-05 at 8.42.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-05 at 8.42.34 PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 16
68/150
100 yards
M44 carbine

Up Next
8H6oL6u.jpg

QqwO3pWl.jpg

all matching except forced match magazine floor plate

So I have only shot this rifle once , it was years ago and with some cast loads to make sure it went bang.

The rifle shot very low 100m setting it was off the paper of the SR1 target aiming at 6 oclock on the black bull. Ended up on the 500m setting. Shoots a tad left also.
I loaded up some 180 grain round nose around 2500fps. Its far to stout for fun shooting a short light rifle.
Might pick up some light .312” bullets and try again?
Trigger is a solid 6lb typical MN trigger.

Sights are no fun for my eyes.

I lost one round when it lodged into a stuck case after a head separation

View: https://imgur.com/a/n4PLKpl

Last edited:
Shot the K31 at the Pembroke match today. Shots were centered nicely but I had a little trouble getting elevation right. Shot way too high, then dropped rear sight a notch and shot too low. Tried center hold- didn't like it but it worked so-so.

Score 137/150 including 2 X's, prone with sling on SR target at 200 yards. Will post scorecard later.

I also had some issues with elevation. I don’t shoot rifle very much so I makes notes on my phone about POA with different guns/ different ammo. Back in April I had settled in nicely with my M1 carbine (with my reloads) so that sitting the front sight post exactly at the bottom of black on an SR1 target would put me around the X at 100 yards. Yesterday I fired 10 rounds and then looked through the spotting scope. They were all way high. Adjusted my POA and got a little closer. Weird. Does weather/ temperature really have any effect on elevation of POI at 100 yards?

C1A7B774-A001-4E0A-B93B-D3309ACADCBC.jpeg

I also had some issues with elevation. I don’t shoot rifle very much so I makes notes on my phone about POA with different guns/ different ammo. Back in April I had settled in nicely with my M1 carbine (with my reloads) so that sitting the front sight post exactly at the bottom of black on an SR1 target would put me around the X at 100 yards. Yesterday I fired 10 rounds and then looked through the spotting scope. They were all way high. Adjusted my POA and got a little closer. Weird. Does weather/ temperature really have any effect on elevation of POI at 100 yards?

View attachment 292160
very much so, humidity also fun stuff. Your horizontal drift is not to bad so looks like you either had a different sight picture or maybe the rear sight elevator got bumped.

View attachment 292160

I'm thinking very different ammo or the rear sight was bumped? That's too much to be accounted for by atmospheric conditions. Light and or atmosphere one maybe two clicks at the worst.

Agreed horizontal displacement is relatively tight for a carbine. Next target should pepper the black.

What powder are you using in those reloads you were shooting? It could be one that is temp sensitive

What powder are you using in those reloads you were shooting? It could be one that is temp sensitive
I know H110/W296 is definitely temp sensitive, which is probably the go-to powder for 30 carbine. I haven't shot enough of my reloads (during the winter and summer) in my carbine to know if there's a big change in POI.

They are very easy to bump.
I will have to ask.
Try saying this with Italian accent
Do you check your sights before you shot your first shot.

I took a photo of the position of the rear sight and put it with my notes on that rifle in my phone, months back. I checked the position of the rear sight elevation last night. I didn't move.

I know H110/W296 is definitely temp sensitive, which is probably the go-to powder for 30 carbine. I haven't shot enough of my reloads (during the winter and summer) in my carbine to know if there's a big change in POI.

Yup I'm using H110 for .30carbine. 14.7gr with a 110gr bullet. Each case trimmed to 1.280. I'll shoot it for score a few more times this summer, making note of where I need to aim it to keep it in the black, and then try again in late Fall and see if there's any difference. I'm used to shooting rifle with a peep sight (FAL, AR, Carbine, Garand) so I don't think it's that I was running on a different sight picture last time. I put the top of the post dead center in the aperature, like I always have.

Back
Top Bottom