WWII B-17 Crew Info Needed

K98

Sorry if this isn't the appropriate forum, but being military related, maybe someone could help. I am looking for info on an uncle of mine. He was a bombardier on a B-17 that was shot down over the White Cliffs of Dover. No unit information or years of service are known.

While doing a quick search online, I see that government records were lost in a fire pertaining to WWII veterans.

I'm assuming you started with the National Archives, which is where you found the info on the fire?

Online Veterans and Military Documents

My Grandfather's records were lost in the fire as well and he never spoke of the war. It took years of research and lots of frustration but I eventually pieced it all together.

Sorry I don't have much help to offer, but my point is don't give up. Keep searching, talking to family and vets, going to military shows, whatever. You'll catch a break and it will come together. Good luck!

The fire did happen, and it was a tragedy for searches like yours. To get meaningful help from folks online, on any site, you’d need to find out his unit and the field they flew from, as well as the dates he was there.

His unit is important. It might have a survivor’s organization, a website, or a Wikipedia page.

Other than that, the local Dover paper might have archived material, but you’d almost certainly need to call or write them if they’re even still in business. Plus, it would help to know approximately when he was shot down.

Good luck.

I was searching for info on my Dad's uncle who was a B24 bombardier. I just used his name and 8th Air Force and found a whole bunch of crew listings. Good luck with the search

After several hours online, I located his serial number, date of enlistment, and ss number. The "American Air Museum" website in England shows he was with the 95th Bomb Group. The hunt continues...

You're lucky he's American. I was only able to get my great grandfather's listing in the German casualty reports. He fell at Verdun in April, 1916, age 21.

T

Last edited:
I have done a lot of research on my grandfather's service in the AAF. I'd be happy to help but I'm not exactly sure what it is you're looking for or what you have to go on. If you don't want to post his name and info, feel free to PM me and I'll do some digging.

4th from the bottom; Karl Schoop. XI ArmeeKorps, Minenwerfer Bataillon Nr. 4. I had tried that war graves site, but the entry comes up "not enough information." He probably rests in an unmarked grave on site, along with several hundred thousand others.

t
Screen Shot 2017-12-30 at 3.52.14 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-12-30 at 3.57.57 PM.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom