• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

WWII Army Air Force Summer Flight Helmet

Happened upon this at a yard sale the other day. Looks to be an issued aviators flight helmet, made right in my back yard (almost) at Bates Shoe Co. in Lewiston, ME in 1944.

Intact Western Electric receivers and Bouton goggles. And although the pictures don't pick up the definition well, there is a visible sweat/grime line across the forehead area, which could indicate that this may have seen some air time in WWII or later.

Not really sure where this fits into my collection, as I don't have much in the way of uniform items. But it seemed too cool to pass up. So, pics, and enjoy. Thanks for looking.

flight_helmet_001.JPG

flight_helmet_002.JPG

flight_helmet_003.JPG

flight_helmet_004.JPG

flight_helmet_005.JPG

flight_helmet_006.JPG

flight_helmet_007.JPG

flight_helmet_008.JPG

Nice find buddy!!
I have my dads WW2 gear and his goggles do not look like the ones in your picture. His head set looks about the same. He fought in the European campaign for the Army Air Corp. He piloted P47 Thunderbolt . One hell of a flying gun ship, six 50 cal machine guns.....now that's fire power. He is still with us today, 96 years young and golfs twice a week. Whats his secret, a glass of good scotch every night, or two.

Last edited:
Nice find and in a way a memorial to the once industrial might of these United States, back when we were "The Arsenal of Democracy" and not a country of corporate headquarters with factories overseas.

Be sure to thank your father for my freedom, Fred. I mean that. He's a hero to me.

I'll be looking for a styrofoam mannequin head for this, to make a proper display.

That's a great yard sale find.

I have boxes of old surplus stuff like that, that my father gave me. Everyone else in my family called it "junk".

Please, it's "treasure".

Back
Top Bottom