• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

WWII Arisaka Type 99 Questions

K98

Are there any Arisaka collectors here? I have one that I would like to try to find the correct style bayonet for, as well as a sling. This one has intact aircraft sights, matching bolt, and full imperial markings with no damage. It also has the mono-pod attachment. Is there a source for ammo?
Thanks

Sounds pretty well intact. They are great shooters.

Gunbroker is probably your best bet for original parts. There's a guy at the ASMIC show monthly in Boxborough MA that specializes in Jap stuff. Generally not a lot of Arasaka parts but a great resource for anything WW2 Jap.

Source for ammo? Roll your own.

I've got a type 38 carbine. while ammo for that is 6.5 jap, not 7.7, they're both out there. albeit not cheap, which is why I invested in dies because I like to shoot mine. source for a sling Im not sure about, but the bayonet would be designated a type 30 bayonet. Type 30 bayonets were produced from 1897 to 1945. they fit on the earlier type 38 rifles as well. earlier versions, i.e. before ww2 made, will be of better quality, as raw materials were harder for Japan to come by latter on in the war. nice examples are out there for certain, take a little time and you'll find a nice example as I did. not sure where you're located but I know Bron classic firearms in Sturbridge usually carries jap ammo. and surely one of your better local shops could order you some up in a pinch.
please post some pics, I like arisakas, and yours sounds to be a lovely specimen. good luck and enjoy, great rifles and an interesting piece of history.

The Type-30 bayonet should be an easy acquisition. And with patience, $1-150 should land you a nice one.

The sling will be more difficult, and maybe more expensive. Unless you are willing to settle for a repro canvas for $30.

Nice...
I have seen a few slings over the years. I finally scored a rifle with a bayo.
Ammo is out there but has climbed to well over 1$ per round.
New production Brass can be found from time to time.
You can also buy dies and form 7.7 from 30-06.... they take .311-312" bullet.
Hornady makes it along with PPU also.

Here's a pic showing the unaltered chrysanthemum. A true vet bring back with no import markings.

Thank you for the info.

I bought some 7.7 Jap at B&K Sales in Natick a couple of weeks ago. If you see it anywhere buy it. I forget the brand but it's loaded with Privi brass that can be reloaded.

If you can get down to SE CT we can load up all that you want...and shoot some onsite to boot.
Needless to say, bring your rifle!
Contact me for component availability, since I'm running quite low on most items.
I'm here just about every day...

Years ago, Hoffman's in central CT, had three bags of virgin 7.7x58mm Prvi brass collecting dust. I'm sure they are long gone by now.

Also, Hansen's in Southport, CT had crates of 7.7 machine gun ammo on strippers. This is a semi-rimmed cartridge, not for the Type 99, but it's the only "official" 7.7 Japanese military issue I've seen.

There is a shop in Branford, CT that has the most diverse collection of mil-surps that I've seen in state, but he doesn't do walk-in retail (??...mostly auction web-site activity apparently). Had a wall full of Arisakas, a few years back. Can't say what he has for accessories nor real-world prices.
http://fflgundealers.net/hunters-shop-the.html

Last edited:
Here's a pic showing the unaltered chrysanthemum. A true vet bring back with no import markings.

Thank you for the info.

thats a nice looking rifle.... i have a 2 vet bring backs.....most look like they where battle beat then stuck in the rafters of a barn when brought state side...

This Type 99 Arisaka is a Kokura (1939-1945), with a series number of 22. As far as the bayonet goes, which would be correct for this model and date of manufacture, Hooked Quillon, Straight Quillon, Straight Quillon w/square Pommel? Or were all 3 types issued at the same time?

Back
Top Bottom