WWII 03-A3 Ammo Type

K98

I'm getting into a caliber I am unfamiliar with. For this rifle type I have heard that contemporary 30.06 should be avoided. What is the preferred grain weight for safe shooting?

Yup, shot any 30-06 you find. I will shoot the corrosive stuff out of mine since it's so easy to clean a bolt action.

The M1 Garand needs to be M1 specific to avoid bending the op-rod, unless you buy something like a schuster gas plug, then you can adjust it for anything.

I'm getting into a caliber I am unfamiliar with. For this rifle type I have heard that contemporary 30.06 should be avoided. What is the preferred grain weight for safe shooting?

Like others have said, 03A3 can shoot anything. There were some early 1903 rifles that should only be fired with light loads due to metallurgical issues, but the 03a3 rifles were made long after that was resolved.

depending on what you expect from your rifle and ammo for me the PPU M2 new production ammuntion is by far the best bang for the money IMHO its under 80 cents per round and I can get under 2moa in my 1903A3 when Im shooting well and my lack of skills gets me from getting 1moa groups from my 1903a4 clone.....1.5ish normally.
other than that if your just looking to shoot and have the ability to hold the black on a SR target then even HXP from the cmp will do.

Thank you for the response. I found PPU 150 grain FMJ for .75 a round. Guess I'll stock up on it. I just want something to use for plinking paper at 50-100 yards. Not use to the peep sight on this. The eyes aren't what they used to be.[sad2]

Google bill bentz and get the USMC .100" front sight and see if he still makes the aperture slide with bigger rear hole. Helped me greatly. Along with a specific Rx lens for shooting.

1st see if the gun shoots where you want it to on the rear sight setting you want. BILL will walk you through this also.

I,have a few sights by Bill one for your average M2 load. One for my cast loads...think short sight.
And another he left taller than anyone would ever need so I could customize it myself.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom