• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

WWII 03-A3 Ammo Choice?

K98

What are folks using at the range for their WWII issues 03-A3's? Would 150 grain be a good choice, or go hotter?

No need for anything hotter unless your trying to buck the wind at 600yards plus.
For general plinking I like the PPU M2 ammo and HXP surplus. Other than that buy the cheapest stuff off the shelf you can find. Unless your really trying to shoot the X ring

Stay with the 150 grain. Fired a friend’s 03 once, thought my shoulder was going to fall off! I don’t have that problem with the Garand. Good luck and have fun!

What are folks using at the range for their WWII issues 03-A3's? Would 150 grain be a good choice, or go hotter?

What do you mean by hotter? Usually hotter refers to pushing said bullet faster, ie., an increased powder charge using the same bullet. Factory loads are hard to decipher, since they don't usually post what's in them. Good luck finding factory ammo that is loaded with 2.0 grains more for any given group of components.
Unless you reload, the posts above make good sense.

If you reload cast bullets can be fun.... I shoot a 160 grain cast over 16grains or 2400 for about 1600fps good enough for a few gold and silver trinkets at cmp vintage. 10 ring accurate to 200 yards when I can put them there

Last edited:
Stay away from modern commercial ammo not specifically loaded for milsurp
I'm doubtful there's any modern 30-06 that is close to hurting a 1903a3 .....of course we need to take into account abuse of receiver prior .
Close inspection of locking lugs and proper headspace should keep any modern 30-06 under control.
One might ask why you would want to shoot a 220 grain full power 30-06 at paper.
The original 30 cal 1903 ammo was 220 grain bullet 30-03
Before switching to 150 and 173 grain bullets off and on through out the 30 cal fodder for military use.

Stay away from modern commercial ammo not specifically loaded for milsurp
Why? He's shooting a solid bolt action rifle in 30-06. It's not an m1 where there is the option rod "problem" with modern 30-06 that folks talk about....although I've put plenty if Remington core loc through my m1 beater and it still runs like a champ.

The 03A3 will take pretty much anything you feed it. The 1917 will take anything you feed and and ask for more!

I shoot my corrosive M2 ball through a M1903A1...then wash, repeat.

Anything from M1 HXP from clips to mid 1950's LC MATCH.

J5nDXxs.jpg

VCI2Es1.jpg

.............:cool:............

Back
Top Bottom