• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

WWI German Mauser Rifle - 1916

A friend of mine has a WWI German rifle, manufactured in 1916, in excellent condition. His father brought back two, giving him and his brother one each. He was wondering what the rifle would be worth? Anyone interested in seeing the rifle may go to the following link (I hope it works) and see several pictures I have taken of it. All the parts numbers are the same. My picture of the bore did not do it justice. It is brighter than shown. The bluing would probably be rated at 20-40%. Little or no rust. The bolt works great. The wood has a tiger stripe to it.

http://s351.photobucket.com/user/Hawkeye1936/library/

The URL gets me to a login page, not to the particular pictures.

Length of bbl would be useful info as there are a number of possible variations of the Mauser that were in use during WW1 and values might be quite different between them.

WWI German 1916 Rifle

The URL gets me to a login page, not to the particular pictures.

Length of bbl would be useful info as there are a number of possible variations of the Mauser that were in use during WW1 and values might be quite different between them.

OK, let me try again on the pictures. There are about 12 - 15 showing identical parts numbers and condition of rifle. BTW, the fellow just stopped by and from the breech to the muzzle is 30 1/2".

Try this link: http://s351.photobucket.com/user/Hawkeye1936/slideshow/

Let me know if that doesn't work. If not, I am at a loss since the info on Photobucket gives that link and the other one as share links.

Pictures work fine now. Now I'll let the Mauser experts help you with values. I like them and own a few but am no expert on value.

Very nice, matched, 1916 DWM Gew98. Only missing the cleaning rod. Nice tiger striped stock. The bluing is not that bad; the receiver and the bolt were left in the white. There is some nice patina there. The only thing we need to see is that the stock matches - the SN should be in the keel of the stock, a little way below the trigger guard. A matched, but badly pitted, 1915 Spandau went on GB recently for $370. IMHO yours is worth $800 or so, maybe more.

T

Very nice, matched, 1916 [STRIKE=undefined]DWM[/STRIKE] Mauser Oberndorf Gew98. Only missing the cleaning rod. Nice tiger striped stock. The bluing is not that bad; the receiver and the bolt were left in the white. There is some nice patina there. The only thing we need to see is that the stock matches - the SN should be in the keel of the stock, a little way below the trigger guard. A matched, but badly pitted, 1915 Spandau went on GB recently for $370. IMHO yours is worth $800 or so, maybe more.

T

A very nice one indeed. There aren't too many matching ones around on this side of the pond; most of them have mis-matched bolts. Can't say anything as to value as I'm not up to date with the U.S. market. Over here it'd surely be in the $ 600+ range.

Prices seem to be dipping lately. Gew98s definitely go for less than a K98. Lesser pieces are going for about $400 on GB. Juergen's $600 maybe a better estimate.

T

Very nice, matched, 1916 DWM Gew98. Only missing the cleaning rod. Nice tiger striped stock. The bluing is not that bad; the receiver and the bolt were left in the white. There is some nice patina there. The only thing we need to see is that the stock matches - the SN should be in the keel of the stock, a little way below the trigger guard. A matched, but badly pitted, 1915 Spandau went on GB recently for $370. IMHO yours is worth $800 or so, maybe more.

T

I'll have to check with my friend concerning the S/N on the stock. You say "a little way below the trigger guard"? Must I take the stock loose from the receiver to find it, or is it visible just by observing the outside of the stock?

How do I go about finding out what it might be worth and then is there a link on this forum where I might find people who would be interested in it?

How do I go about finding out what it might be worth and then is there a link on this forum where I might find people who would be interested in it?

If I were you, I'd ask the guys in the military mauser forum on forums.gunboards.com to nail down a good price. You could then create a classified ad on here under the Rifle classified ad section.

?

Jurgen and I both gave you opinions. We are very experienced Mauser collectors. There is an active wanted-to-sell/buy/trade link on this forum.

T

The K98k forum is one of the best around.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom