• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

WW2 reenactment

majspud

NES Life Member
NES Member
I'm have my debut as a WW2 reenactor on 6/10 with the 2nd battalion, 1st SS on 6/10 at Fort Tabor. Thought I'd put a few rounds out of my bring back '36 Nagant, which will probably be my primary carry piece as a unterscharfuhrer (buck sergeant) in the feldgendarmerie (field police). The white shoulder boards are infantry for combat reenacting; I have orange boards for police. Hopefully my shirts will get here in time or I'll have to wear a civil war shirt. 46 rounds at 57 feet; 18 rounds PPU, the rest surplus. I also have my Luger to use.

I wonder how much stopping power this really has at 20 yards.

I'm also going to have to shave my beard! Haven't done that fully since '99. I had a partial for my neck surgery in September.

T

Attachments

• IMG_2715.jpg
    IMG_2715.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_2641.jpg
    IMG_2641.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Well, finally bit the bullet and sorted my brass for the eventuality of reloading. Took more than three hours. Left two containers have Yugo 8mm/pistol caliber brass/range pick ups - mostly .556. Left jug is 90% full of HXP and the odd Lake City .30-06. Right jug is about a third full of PPU and Hornady 8mm. With CMP almost out of .30-06, new PPU bulk is still an option as it is currently less than CMP. It's Mauser surplus I'm worried about; it's getting harder to find.

Lot of fun. I had to sit in a chair and look down; my neck won't bent up. On the plus side, I found about 20 Mauser stripper clips that accidentally slipped in.

t

Attachments

• IMG_2716.jpg
    IMG_2716.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 38
Always interested in reenacting. I had a few colleagues to Civil War and Revolutionary War stuff, but nothing more recent.
That's a lot of brass, too. I managed to accumulate a measly 30 pieces of 8mm Mauser from a guy shooting a K98 that doesn't reload and told me to take it. All PPU, once fired. So when the day comes that I get a K98, I'll at least have a few pieces, but would want to buy a few boxes unless I find someone offloading some brass.

Pleasantly surprised that they let you use real firearms in your reenacting. Would be interesting to march around with one of my M1s or my 91/30. Bayonet on, of course.

at around 225-250 ftlbs of energy with a 30 cal blunt nose bullet ..... not going to be pretty. Maybe the heavy wool and canvis jackets but help a little... the 762 nagant falls somewhere between 38spl and 9mm

Last edited:
Reenactment is this weekend at Ft Tabor in New Bedford. All my stuff is in, save uniform shirts. My Civil War shirts will have to do for now, but my grey polo shirt perfectly matched the knit pattern German service shirt. So I fully shaved today, for the first time in my life since I've had a mustache and beard, and my wife took my picture for my Soldbuch. I played with the settings and printed a toned B/W picture. Here I am.

t

Attachments

• IMG_2815.jpg
    IMG_2815.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 42
Good luck!

I hesitate to say the pic in the soldbuch looks good, because then I'm saying you look like an SS guy. But the pic in the soldbuch looks good, and not in a "you'd make a great Nazi!" way.

Understand! I am half Danish/German. I researched Soldbuch pics and tried to match a pose I saw of a senior sgt.

t

25 years of Civil War re-enacting have tempered me for it. The uniform is much lighter than a CW one, but you're carrying twice the kit.

Participated in my first WW2 reenactment Saturday. As Unterscharfuhrer of the 1st SS, 2nd Battalion, I drilled the men in matching, manual of arms, and rank identification. The battle only lasted 5 minutes due to our late arrival from a weapon malfunction. We walked right into force nearly 7 times our strength and were wiped out. I tried a fast running turn to the rear, my new jackboots slipped on the dry grass, and I did a face plant followed by a bounce. I thought it looked good, so I stayed down. Fired all of three shots. I'm on the far right, using my RC AR42 ZF41, and my friend/recruiter/oberscharfuhrer, second from left, has his full auto MP40. I think I look terrible in the picture. First time in my life I've been without a beard and a mustache at the same time.

t

Attachments

• IMG_2833 (1).jpg
    IMG_2833 (1).jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 27
Back
Top Bottom