• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ww2 medals info needed

warwickben

bubba Kalashnikov
ccea2c714981f66f011a4f2bc7a261e0.jpg

My grand ma sent away for replacement medals for my grand fathers that where stolen. She's waiting on the replacement bronze stars. He was awarded two . She told me I'm being left all his military stuff.

Would like to know what these medals are for.

American Campaign Medal
World War II Victory Medal
Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal

Cancer of the eyes to whoever stole your grandfathers medals.

By bronze stars do you mean the actual bronze star medal or do you mean the battle stars that will go on the Asiatic Campaign medal? (The yellow one). You can likely get a copy of his actual service records to help you out with getting it right. Also if he has a CIB (assuming he's army) from WWII he qualifies for an actual Bronze Star. You can find out online how to get it for him.

American Campaign Medal (predominately blue one) means your grandfather served in the Continental United States or its contiguous waters.

Asiatic Pacific Campaign Medal (yellow one) means he served in the Pacific War against the Japanese

World War II Victory Medal was awarded to all service members who served in the war to commemorate our victory in WWII. The multicolored sides are the same color as the WWI victory medal separated by the large red band.

For what it is worth, my father had the exact same medals. Order of precedence left to right facing (wearers right to left) American Campaign (most likely because he served stateside first) Asiatic Pacific Campaign, World War II Victory Medal.

Jeeze Ben it would have taken less time to google what's written on the medals to figure it out than to take the picture, upload it and make the thread. [slap]
I looked them up I was mainly confused about the american campaign and pacific . I didn't realize you could have both .

By bronze stars do you mean the actual bronze star medal or do you mean the battle stars that will go on the Asiatic Campaign medal? (The yellow one). You can likely get a copy of his actual service records to help you out with getting it right. Also if he has a CIB (assuming he's army) from WWII he qualifies for an actual Bronze Star. You can find out online how to get it for him.

My grand father was usmc.
From what my grand mother told me he got a Bronze star in the pacific And got a bronze star in the Philippines . Looking at one some of the photos that where not stolen he is wearing one bronze star medal but she's not sure when that photo was taken.
The pacific medal came with a tiny bronze battle star.

Looking at the order list of what hasn't shown up that I can remember. The Philippines medal (still waiting on it )has a note about bronze star medic ??
Also waiting for the rifle marksmen which he scored expert .

My grand mother dose a lot with ww2 vets and helped have the wakefield memorial rebuilt . One of the vets explained to her how to contact the service.
Me and her are trying to get all the medals needed and a reproduction of his uniform to have it mounted in a frame .
From his diary , what I'm able to read he got moved around a lot .

not everyone likes googling stuff, some people like the site interaction and knowledge of the members on here [wink]

- - - Updated - - -

and how did all his stuff get stolen? what POS did that?

Yup, same here. About 20 years ago I did the same thing. Contacted the U.S. Army regarding my Dad's service medals which was a two year process as I recall. Got the medals, (which we lost as children playing in the yard), and had them mounted and framed. He never knew he was awarded the Bonze Star. I gave them to him on Father's Day, he was embarrassed, I was proud.

not everyone likes googling stuff, some people like the site interaction and knowledge of the members on here [wink]

- - - Updated - - -

and how did all his stuff get stolen? what POS did that?

He passed away in the early 80's.
In the late 90's we went away on a family trip, grandma included. When we came back helping her bring stuff in we noticed a window on the back side of the house smashed out.
They open the garage and parked the van and filled it up.
They didn't find the guns my grand ma was holding for us till we got old enough.
They stole one safe that wasn't bolted down and tried to steal one that had stuff like family rings like my great grandmas engagement ring.

Yep, my dad has all three
My dad has those as well as the European/African/Middle Eastern campaign and a Purple Heart. The medals tell a story and they are great to have as a family remembrance. We ordered my fathers records about 25 years ago and then ordered all medals listed. I was surprised that he had "campaign service stars" for Normandy (European) and Leyte (Pacific). I knew he was in the D-Day invasion (gunners mate on landing craft) but he told me that he spent 14 months in the Pacific on an ammunition cargo ship and never saw land when I saw the "battle star" I asked him how he got it and he said that his ship (USS Hercules) was awarded a campaign star for Leyte because they took damage and casualties from Kamikaze attacks!!! If your grandfather was a Marine I wonder if he was at Leyte also?

Back
Top Bottom