• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

WW2 Army Recods

deerdad

NES Member
Back in June or July I had the local VA office help me and sent out a copy of my fathers official Army records from his WW2 service to find out about his awards. I just got a letter from the National Personnel Records Center and they have authorized the shipment of the following medals.
Bronze Star
Purple Heart
Good Conduct Medal
American Campaign Medal
European Campaign Medal w/3 bronze service stars
WW 2 Victory Medal
Combat Infantry Badge 1st Award
Honorable service Lapel Button WW2

I'm excited about this and I'm sure my mother will be flooded with emotions as well. (he passed away back in 63)
Just thought I would share some news about a long gone WW2 vet.

Greg

These are the sorts of awards given for front line service in an infantry unit, the tip of the spear. He was the recipient of a combat award, the Bronze Star, wounded (perhaps not at the same time), and awarded the coveted Combat Infantryman's Badge. All indicate impressive service.

Back in June or July I had the local VA office help me and sent out a copy of my fathers official Army records from his WW2 service to find out about his awards. I just got a letter from the National Personnel Records Center and they have authorized the shipment of the following medals.
Bronze Star
Purple Heart
Good Conduct Medal
American Campaign Medal
European Campaign Medal w/3 bronze service stars
WW 2 Victory Medal
Combat Infantry Badge 1st Award
Honorable service Lapel Button WW2

I'm excited about this and I'm sure my mother will be flooded with emotions as well. (he passed away back in 63)
Just thought I would share some news about a long gone WW2 vet.

Greg
I agree, your Dad is gone, but not forgotten, by you and my gratitude for sacrifices during WW II.

wow that is pretty amazing...Your dad was an american hero. just out of curiosity what do you need to find out the info about a ww2 vets service records? My grandfather, who I sadly was not to close with, never discussed it. But my dad told me he landed on D-Day etc and saw action. What would I need to get a search going? any help would be appreciated. thanks

Great to hear. My grandfather's records were lost in the National Archives fire in 1973. I've been able to patch together his history, but I wish I had his full records. I'm very happy for you and your family.

Congrats you have a lot to be proud of. My father never spoke very much to me about his service although I knew he had been in the Normandy Invasion as a gunners mate in the Navy. After that he went to the Pacific and told me "I loaded machine guns on an ammunition supply ship. We never came within 10 miles of land. It was just a lot of loading landing craft sending ammunition, water , and dry goods to the Marines."

When my mother sent away for his medals we got a Service "statement" that showed his postings and the fact that he was on the USS Hercules. His medals awarded included THe Asiatic Pacific Campaign medal with 3 campaign stars. WHen I looked up his ship I saw that it had 5 battle stars awarded. I said "Gee dad you told me you just loaded and unloaded cargo what are these Battle stars for?" His answer "well we got attacked by kamikazes in the Marianas and the Philippines". Really dad???!!!

So I googled his ship and found they supported the marine landings at Saipan, Leyte, Luzon, and Iwo Jima and came under direct attack by kamikazes at Saipan and Luzon Gulf. So much for "loading and unloading".

All this knowledge came from requesting his medals and following the clues on the service sheet.

I think Brokaw was right when he called them "The Greatest Generation".

MAGG, the address from the letter is:
National Personnel Records Center
Military Personnel Records
1 Archives Drive
ST. Louis, MO 63138-1002
I was lucky that my mother had saved everything from so long ago. We brought the papers to the local VA office and they filled out the paperwork to send out. I never knew my father because he had passed away just before I was born in 1963. On his separation papers the Campaigns are Northern France, Rhineland, and Central Europe. He was wounded on Dec 1, 1944 in Lorraine while pushing north to Bastogne.
My mother still has the copper fragments from the German bullet that hit him in the leg. These awards will be something I will cherish forever. Yes I will post pics when they arrive.

Greg

MAGG, the address from the letter is:
National Personnel Records Center
Military Personnel Records
1 Archives Drive
ST. Louis, MO 63138-1002
I was lucky that my mother had saved everything from so long ago. We brought the papers to the local VA office and they filled out the paperwork to send out. I never knew my father because he had passed away just before I was born in 1963. On his separation papers the Campaigns are Northern France, Rhineland, and Central Europe. He was wounded on Dec 1, 1944 in Lorraine while pushing north to Bastogne.
My mother still has the copper fragments from the German bullet that hit him in the leg. These awards will be something I will cherish forever. Yes I will post pics when they arrive.

Greg

thanks so much Greg....definitely looking forward to see your dads stuff when it arrives

The package arrived in the mail today and as promised, here are a couple of pics. The process took roughly nine months.
I hope the pics are clear enough to show the labels on the boxes also.

Greg

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    202.4 KB · Views: 40
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    193.6 KB · Views: 31
That is really special and very thoughtful of you, Greg. Now they can be treasured and your father's service remembered for generation to come. Good on you!

- - - Updated - - -

I have access to "Fold3" if anyone has a family member who served and they want me to look them up. I'll let you know if I get any hits.

Back
Top Bottom