WW1 Gear Help

I know it is not a firearm but I figured it was cool and maybe one of you knew something. Below is what I think is a WW1 helmet with the insignia of the 2nd Division painted on it. I believe these were done on the way home on ships but I am not sure. I found this in my uncle's attic after he passed. I do not believe anyone in the family was in WW1 so I think he got it someplace as he was in Korea and was a bit of a collector of stuff.

From what the interwebs tell me, the stamp looks correct for WW1 us helmets and the wear, while good, looks correct as well. The thing that puzzles me is that the background is aqua rather than black. My question is if this could be a Marine helmet as the 2nd had Marine Brigade attached to it (5th and 6th Regiments) and it seems to make sense that they may paint the background something different to standout and aqua for Marines makes sense to me.

Any thoughts? Sorry bout the pics damn camera...

IMAG1067.jpgIMAG1061.jpgIMAG1062.jpgIMAG1063.jpgIMAG1064.jpgIMAG1065.jpgIMAG1066.jpg

As you mentioned a lot of different units fell under the 2nd Div. banner (both Army and Marines). As you can see here, several different colors were used behind the Indianhead:
4ww1pat.jpg

Marines also like to put EGAs on their helmets too (but not all had them):
th
th
th

It looks like your helmet has the artillery shell behind the Indianhead, so I would probably say that it is from one of the several artillery units that were attached to the 2nd ID such as the 17th Field Artillery. Here's one of their helmets:

@trippingpara: Looks like you are right. It seems like it belonged to some Red Legs.
@OldNorth: Thanks! I will jump on over there and update.

Back
Top Bottom