1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

WTT WTS or WTT 1884/87/15 Italian Vetterli

Discussion in 'WTS/WTT Rifles' started by majspud, Jun 1, 2016.

1. majspud

majspud NES Life Member NES Member

For the last few weeks I have been moving the one-offs of my collection to focus more on German and American pieces. Here are two more:

1884 M1870/87/1915 Italian Vetterli fucil. Originally manufactured as a single shot black powder rifle and chambered in 10.4x47R by Brescia, serial number NP 3926. These rifles were converted first to a Vitali four round box magazine fed with a Mannlicher style clip from 1887-1896, still in 10.4x47R, until superseded by the M91 Carcano. Starting in 1915 they were converted again with a barrel liner and new magazine to the now standard 6.5x52mm Carcano cartridge as an emergency measure due to Italy’s chronic arms shortage in WWI (and WWII). These conversions were intended for home guard, police forces, and new regiments that were not expected to see combat – as the black powder designed Vetterli action was deemed not up to prolonged firing with the higher pressures of the modern smokeless powder Carcano cartridge. Stock marked ‘S. Polotti over E. FIGLI’ (S. Polotti and sons) and renumbered to match on the right side, and a hexagonal stamp with ROMA and 1916 as the date of the conversion on the right side. Bore is bright and sharp. Overall condition is exceptional with good wood and clear cartouches and stampings. Sling is an original, similar, M89/11 Swiss style. I have put 60 rounds of PPU out of it and it shoots fine, although 3 feet high at 100 yards.

Description : Above

Accessories : sling on the only

Selling Terms : FTF if possible. These rifles are antiques, so all you need is to be over 18.

Price : $400 each, or WWI/WWII German or American pieces

Contact Information: PM here.

Pictures: (optional)

Statement of Legal compliance:
    I will comply with all Federal and State Laws. If the firearm is to be shipped, you must provide me with a signed copy of your dealer's FFL (or your 03FFL if this is a Curio and Relic). For private party face-to-face transactions (only permitted by Fed law when both buyer and seller live in same state), I will meet all applicable state and federal laws.

When ammunition, magazines or other regulated items are sold/bought or traded as part of this transaction, I agree to follow all applicable local, state and federal laws and regulations pertaining to these items.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016

2. majspud

bump

Looking for another Garand. Will pay the difference.

T

3. majspud

up

Still looking for a Garand. Also K98, M1 carbine.

T

4. majspud

Up.

Reduced to $350 each.

Still looking for a Garand.

T

5. majspud

B T T T

6. majspud

Zoom

Gew88 withdrawn.

No real trade needs. Vetterli is $350 is firm; really a nice historical piece from a government getting its money's worth. Quite the rework: single shot bolt action black-powder to magazine fed black-powder, to smokeless powder.

T

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
  7. majspud

Bump once or twice more.

T

8. majspud

Last bump.

T