WTH? I'm a Grandfather

majspud

NES Life Member
NES Member
Looks like we were too late with Mr. Tribble. As I was leaving the office for the night, one of the cats went and sniffed an object by my desk. I thought it was a mouse, as we've had a recent problem. However, it was not a mouse, it was a baby rabbit! For the last two weeks all three of my female rabbits (3) were having "false" pregnancies and nesting in various corners of my office. They went as far as stealing nesting materials from each others' nests. I found blood in one nest, a dead baby in another nest, and a third dead baby a cat had obviously got to.

The survivor has a small wound on its side. I frantically warmed some milk and fed it with a pipet, as the mother seemed uninterested and the baby had wandered off. They are now reunited in a cardboard box with some wood chips, and all the fur I could collect. Vet is closed, of course, and tomorrow is a blizzard. Called an emergency clinic and got a bit of advice to hold until tomorrow.

I'm wondering if either of the other two are pregnant?!?

Mom and kit.

t

Attachments

• IMG_4176.jpg
    IMG_4176.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
My wife is with the kit on the couch keeping it warm, and offering milk from time to time. We're think at least one other rabbit is pregnant, and we can slip this one into the litter. I have her isolated in my bathroom. These babies sure are small. We've no idea what we're doing, neither having had pets give birth. Waiting for the vet to call any minute.

t

Attachments

• IMG_4177.jpg
    IMG_4177.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 32
while waiting for the vet to call, google to see if there any help online about handling/feeding baby rabbit. They need nutrition for sure.

Just got back from the pet store with replacement kitten formula. Vet looks closed for the day due to the weather; pouring rain right now.

t

Can you call a animal hospital such as Tufts or Wachusett to ask for advice rather than waiting on your vet to call back? At least you will get a live person who should be able to get you to the right people.

I talked to the emergency vet clinic at midnight. They don't see rabbits, but told me what to do. The baby has taken some formula and is sleeping under my wife's hair against the crook of her neck.

T

Sorry to hear about the mom,I hope the little one makes out ok.

Dad: Black French Angora
Mom: Tan/White Lion Lop
Kit: Dark Grey skin (dad), and mom's large ears. Whatever else, it's going to be quite the fur ball. "Dad" was a precocious three months old at conception.

Attachments

• IMG_4020.jpg
    IMG_4020.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1975.jpg
    IMG_1975.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_4177.jpg
    IMG_4177.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Here we go again; little LiLo delivered a stillborn kit 10 minutes ago.

t

Attachments

• IMG_4182.jpg
    IMG_4182.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 22
Sorry to hear about your problems. Hopefully your love and efforts will turn things around.

And another live half-sibling. Found this one crawling across the carpet.

t

Attachments

• 53681194796__B164334A-AE35-47D9-B1FE-F4793A564304.jpg
    53681194796__B164334A-AE35-47D9-B1FE-F4793A564304.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Oh, shit. Found another kit from yesterday. We'd been hearing noises and little cardboard sounds. This one had crawled into a toilet paper tube, left for the bunnies to chew on, that was under the baseboard radiator. That makes two live and three dead from Nala, and one live and one dead from LiLo.

t

Attachments

• IMG_4196.jpg
    IMG_4196.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Put the three together in a made up nest for the night. All OK today. We'll keep an eye if LiLo is feeding them. Very active and noisy, which is good.

t

Attachments

• IMG_4197.jpg
    IMG_4197.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 14
Black baby died this AM. Grey baby died in our hands. Wife is currently feeding the striped one who is talking to her.

T

Last edited:
Mom of two was dead. The other didn't seem to notice. I did feed them all last night. Rough three days. A short life, but they were loved.

t

Attachments

• 53694408654__BA3DF77C-17F4-4CB1-BCD7-5861C87DE6DB.jpg
    53694408654__BA3DF77C-17F4-4CB1-BCD7-5861C87DE6DB.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom