Wtf wareham pd

Good to know. Wife and I are waiting on our LTCs. We understand that they will be restricted. In the meantime, our 3 small-caliber bolt action rifles and both of our 12 gauge 870s sit unloaded in our locked safe inside of our locked master bedroom closet. Is this a good plan?
You just moved to the state. This is belt and suspenders with respect to the law.

Good to know. Wife and I are waiting on our LTCs. We understand that they will be restricted. In the meantime, our 3 small-caliber bolt action rifles and both of our 12 gauge 870s sit unloaded in our locked safe inside of our locked master bedroom closet. Is this a good plan?
That’s a great plan if you intend on them being the property of the burglars who break into your house. How long do you think it is going to take you to get one of them out of the safe and all loaded up and ready to shoot? How long do you think it will take a burglar to get to your bedroom from the back door?

You do realize that possession of an expired license, or license revoked for failure to file a change of address, is a civil offense (no prison time, just a fine) provided the person with said expired license has not become a MA PP or been denied a renewal of said license. A MA ADA tried to argue that a 15 year old expired license (it may have been an FID) no longer provides this protection because that was "obviously not the intent of the law", but the court disagreed. (It may have been non-precedent setting district court).
You are aware that at least in one case that I was involved with, the ADA charged the guy criminally for possession without a license (old expired FID, never tried to get it renewed).
That’s a great plan if you intend on them being the property of the burglars who break into your house. How long do you think it is going to take you to get one of them out of the safe and all loaded up and ready to shoot? How long do you think it will take a burglar to get to your bedroom from the back door?
Sure and every B&E thief carries a battery-operated grinder to break into safes when they rob houses. And they stick around the house for 30-60 minutes to do all this. Sorry, you watch too many TV shows! In my experience from years ago when we didn't have all the tech and the Karens weren't all mobilized, our response time to a call averaged 6-10 minutes.

You are aware that at least in one case that I was involved with, the ADA charged the guy criminally for possession without a license (old expired FID, never tried to get it renewed).

Sure and every B&E thief carries a battery-operated grinder to break into safes when they rob houses. And they stick around the house for 30-60 minutes to do all this. Sorry, you watch too many TV shows! In my experience from years ago when we didn't have all the tech and the Karens weren't all mobilized, our response time to a call averaged 6-10 minutes.
Did you even read my post before going all Karen mode? I was talking about how long it will take to retrieve said unloaded gun from said locked safe in order to defend yourself. Not sure where you got breaking into a safe and such.

You just moved to the state. This is belt and suspenders with respect to the law.
MA law is similar to Illinois law. You need FOID (Firearm Owner Identification Card) to possess a firearm and/or ammunition, even in your own home. These are issued by the Illinois State Police. Prints and photos are done at an ISP barracks. There is no concealed carry. It is a possession permit only. Wife and I figure it would be wise to keep the guns securely stored unloaded until we get our MA LTCs. Why invite trouble? I heard a lot of horror stories about gun arrests and prosecutions in MA.

Yup. I know of one case that went to trial and the ADA claimed there was an implied time limit (the FID was 15 years old) and the defendant prevailed.

This law is also why PDs are encouraged to maintain perpetual records of any denials.

MA law is similar to Illinois law. You need FOID (Firearm Owner Identification Card) to possess a firearm and/or ammunition, even in your own home. These are issued by the Illinois State Police. Prints and photos are done at an ISP barracks. There is no concealed carry. It is a possession permit only. Wife and I figure it would be wise to keep the guns securely stored unloaded until we get our MA LTCs. Why invite trouble? I heard a lot of horror stories about gun arrests and prosecutions in MA.
I could have been clearer. You're doing the right thing WRT the law here. In fact, locking the closet is above and beyond.

I am not the kind of person who takes unnecessary chances, especially when the result is jail. I once spent 3 days in jail and do not wish to repeat that experience! This is the safe that we use. BassPro 10 gun model. Doesn't hog the whole closet. Wife needs room for her ever-expanding clothing collection.

Attachments

• 20210125_110843.jpg
    20210125_110843.jpg
    280.6 KB · Views: 24
You're doing the right thing WRT the law here. In fact, locking the closet is above and beyond legally meaningless.
FTFY.

Well,
at best it's completely redundant if the safe is valid (which it is).

And unless it's a very charming lock(, door, walls ...),
a Mass court wouldn't consider it sufficient.

And unless it's a very charming lock(, door, walls ...),
a Mass court wouldn't consider it sufficient.
I think that's still TBD. What we do know for sure is that one of those little push-button, bathroom privacy "locks" isn't sufficient.

A good friend of mine has been in limbo with the wareham pd in getting his ltc. They took his check for the application and deposited it 5 mo the ago. He’s followed up with them religiously. Attached is the letter he received stating it’s because of fingerprinting and “not safe” to do so now. Are they not fingerprinting criminals when they’re arrested? Who’s the decider on when it is in fact safe to get fingerprinted? Any comment on their Facebook page gets deleted. Anyone have any avenues they may help my friend would be much appreciated

Since this has been answered well already, I'll toss in my tongue in cheek suggestion

Offer to wear latex gloves while they take your prints!

Get yourself locked up by local 5-0, make sure it’s only a misdemeanor, then, when they’re taking your prints just ask them to make 2 copies and forward one to LO. Pay your 40.00 bail, and off you go in under an hour.
giphy.gif

If OP has expired license and is caught in possession of a gun, something will be done about it. Won't be pleasant. No LEO is going to ignore such a thing. He had better keep everything well hidden and locked up. If he or his wife have a medical episode, LE will be right there next to the EMTs when they enter his home.
Carry on an expired license should be a civil case. Not criminal.

Expirations does not trigger revocation.

Carry on an expired license should be a civil case. Not criminal.

Expirations does not trigger revocation.
Civil only of the person has not become ineligible to have an LTC; has not been denied a renewal since expiration or had the LTC revoked for any reason other than failure to file a change of address.

Lowell PD pulled this on buddy applying for LTC same timeframe. He went back to work and Security fingerprinted him on official card. He brought the card back to Lowell PD with completed application and Letters of Recommendation. We'll see how long before he gets his LTC and if there are any restrictions.

Back
Top Bottom