WTF WAAF

new guy

NES Member
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Who knows if the station was carrying debt, or how much it was costing to keep broadcasting when you factor in rent, salaries, etc. It sounds like they bought/wanted the spectrum space, so maybe it was an asset purchase deal.

appraiser

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
A really well written piece with a few great pictures on the subject of WAAf's last days

Photo credit: Greg Caparell

WAAF-NEW.jpg

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
well, the reason i ask is the sale seemed very "rushed". When the boston globe was about to go tits up, they went way out of their way to find a liberal buyer that promised to keep the paper running....instead of just dumping it for the first buck they found.

I suspect the poor ratings recently were a result of this Radio.com corporation controlling the playlists...and NOT lettinng AAF do the things they do best....promoting new local rock bands, having studio interviews and unplugged sessions, doing zany things.

Seems like if they sold the station properly, someone with deep pockets and a love of rock music/ boston could have ponied up the 10 million. I mean shit, some of these rich dudes spend that much on a nice car!
It's a double-edged sword. You nationalize your playlist and such and lose the local touch. . . and local revenue. Or you keep the local staff, don't make THAT MUCH more money and are still in deep because of a bigger payroll.

As I said several pages before, terrestrial radio is dying quickly. The areas of growth are specialty and rural. We aint' rural so a Christian station seemed like a good fit. (Despite the high % of godless heathens in mASSachusetts.)

Asaltweapon

NES Member
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
It's a double-edged sword. You nationalize your playlist and such and lose the local touch. . . and local revenue. Or you keep the local staff, don't make THAT MUCH more money and are still in deep because of a bigger payroll.

As I said several pages before, terrestrial radio is dying quickly. The areas of growth are specialty and rural. We aint' rural so a Christian station seemed like a good fit. (Despite the high % of godless heathens in mASSachusetts.)
My wife says I'm on the Express Train to hell.
Some days I think I might even be running that bitch.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only smart thing Nickelback ever did was have Dimebag Darrell do a guest appearance on one of their songs

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A really well written piece with a few great pictures on the subject of WAAf's last days

Photo credit: Greg Caparell

View attachment 333964
Maybe it is just that "rock & roll" and "rockers" are getting old. A new generation is coming into place.

Kids these days. Their music is so loud, and you can't understand the words anyhow.

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I miss, "Whip'm out Wednesdays". Was driving truck in those days, had a couple of nice shows on 128...
Back about 10-15yrs ago, I was on the board of a small Christian school. We were doing these Wed AM tours of the facility to develop an endowment base. I forget what we were calling it, but the acronym was WOW. Everyone loved it. The repressed principal vetoed it.

"Do you know that a radio station used to do this?"

"Yeah. Opie and Anthony on AAF. Like 8 years ago."

"Well, people are going to get the wrong impression."

"Only those that maybe aren't right for our message. Those who you are looking to give $ have no idea what you are talking about."

She was so afraid of anything sexual. We called it something lame instead. It fizzled and failed. Oh well.

67ray

NES Member
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
WAAF posted the last two days of their broadcasting on WAAF.com. All the guests can be heard no commercials

enbloc

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
I'd give it a strong "6".
Its got a steady beat and you can dance to it...

Top Bottom