• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

WTF? Ammo jammed my Glock

GSG

Was at the range today shooting & halfway through a magazine full of WWB the gun wouldn't go into battery. I tried chambering it a couple times from different magazines but it stayed the same each time. Closer inspection showed that the case on the .357 SIG round was slightly longer than normal, so it fed correctly but won't fire or even go into battery. I'm guessing this is a manufacturing issue? All the cases in the box are marked .357 SIG and there's nothing else that looks incorrect about any of the other rounds.

It's the one on the right hand side.

384189_10152231017020150_968895554_n.jpg

Gun with the round chambered.

545367_10152231016385150_1936865265_n.jpg

Has anyone ever seen this before? I'm going to be checking my defense rounds a lot closer now.

WTF indeed! That whole box needs to go back to whereever you bought it, and a carefully documented letter needs to go to Winchester. Yow!

'course, you probably don't want to use WWB for defensive use anyway, but that's a different issue.

WTF indeed! That whole box needs to go back to whereever you bought it, and a carefully documented letter needs to go to Winchester. Yow!

'course, you probably don't want to use WWB for defensive use anyway, but that's a different issue.

I honestly don't recall where I bought it, but the box is intact. I'd fired about 60% of the rounds in the box when this happened so I still have the rest. And I just meant I'll be examining all defense ammo in general closer, since this round didn't look or feel strange when loading the magazine, but it gave me a nice malfunction to clear.

that's why you need to stick with 9mm [wink]

Jokes aside, it is weird, that such obvious flaw slip through.

The NATO measurement of .357 SIG is 9mm Awesome [wink]. I agree about the odd part though, I don't know much at all about the loading aspect of cartridges which is why I asked here.

An imp cutter will fix that easily.

What's that? It looks like the case is just slightly elongated, stretched out or something.

They were trying to upgrade you to 9X25 Dillon for free [wink]

That or 7.62x25 Tokarev. [laugh]

Take the box and a photo of the round and send a politely worded letter to Winchester explaining the problem. They may do something, maybe not.

Glock 357SIG chambers are tight. I bet it would fire in my Sig 226. Just sayin

Call Winchester/Olin. I had some issues with some WWB and after making a call, I emailed a picture and they sent me a paid FedEx box for the ammo. About a week later I had a few coupons in the mail.

Im a relatively new owner of a G17 and G19. I'm also a cheap bastard. So in my infinite wisdom I negotiated with a local gun shop to buy 1000 rds of tulammo (at $10/box of 50) thats a russian made steel cased 9 mm ammo. I shot it in my G19 and it was a mess light strikes, slide jambs, chamber jambs. I took the ammo back and got 1000 rds of Federal American Eagle. Not a single light stike, jambs after shooting 500 to 600 rds of american eagle (see glock light strike thread on this forum).

I'm not an expert but what I learned after talking to Glock, posting questions here and on a Glock forum are:

1) use american factory made ammo only (others differ on this)
2) replace springs and firing pin after 3000 rds or so
3) WWB is a good american made ammo but its bottom of the line so while you may go thru 1000s of rds and not have a problem, from what I have read I'm not surprised you had a problem with WWB. I would use it on the range but never for self defense.

I had the same issue you had. Normally reload my own target ammo, but picked up a couple of boxes of Winchester .357 Sig's at a gun show for a really good price. It was one round out of a hundred. Kept it as an example. It's the one on the right.

IMG_0823.jpg

Last edited:
Im a relatively new owner of a G17 and G19. I'm also a cheap bastard. So in my infinite wisdom I negotiated with a local gun shop to buy 1000 rds of tulammo (at $10/box of 50) thats a russian made steel cased 9 mm ammo. I shot it in my G19 and it was a mess light strikes, slide jambs, chamber jambs. I took the ammo back and got 1000 rds of Federal American Eagle. Not a single light stike, jambs after shooting 500 to 600 rds of american eagle (see glock light strike thread on this forum).

I'm not an expert but what I learned after talking to Glock, posting questions here and on a Glock forum are:

1) use american factory made ammo only (others differ on this)
2) replace springs and firing pin after 3000 rds or so
3) WWB is a good american made ammo but its bottom of the line so while you may go thru 1000s of rds and not have a problem, from what I have read I'm not surprised you had a problem with WWB. I would use it on the range but never for self defense.

Don't buy anything steel cased, I never have. I personally don't think it's worth it at all. I put brass through all my guns and have never had a problem. There's something to be said for that. Everyone's different I guess, but I'd much rather spend the $$$ on quality ammo.

Don't buy anything steel cased, I never have. I personally don't think it's worth it at all. I put brass through all my guns and have never had a problem. There's something to be said for that. Everyone's different I guess, but I'd much rather spend the $$$ on quality ammo.

Not me.

I like to shoot and have not started reloading yet. For plinking, I shoot whatever is available and inexpensive. If my Glocks could not eat steel case ammo, I would think of that as a larger issue. I want all my guns to run on every possible ammo, in the event ammo becomes scarce, you may not have the luxury of choice.

That being said, I mostly shoot federal in my pistols cause it's about as cheap as it gets at WM prices, but I have run plenty of steel case throug my 21, 30 and 19 without issue.

My AR is has thousands of rounds of steel case and it runs like a top, and at .24 / round, I get a lot of practice.

To each their own.

Off the top of my head, I don't know the exact case lengths of the .357 SIG, Corbons, etc. Are these long cases actually headstamped 357 SIG?
Just goes to show that you have to inspect factory ammo, too; can't simply assume it's all gtg.

Back
Top Bottom