• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

WTB Converted M16

Converted? Generally speaking you're looking at

1- registered receiver (a factory M16 or a gun/receiver built as such before 86 and registered as an MG)
2- registered sear (AKA, RDIAS)
3- registered lightning link

If we're talking option 1 a shitload of RRs are factory M16 receivers. Others may have been builds but I think those are rare, considering when building new MGs was legal there probably was little to no incentive to reinvent the wheel by converting an AR15 and then paying the tax.

-Mike

You might talk to Greg at GFATech in Natick or Jim McLoud (himself) at either Shooters Outpost or Manchester Firing Line.

You might talk to Greg at GFATech in Natick or Jim McLoud (himself) at either Shooters Outpost or Manchester Firing Line.

Thanks for the suggestions, I already spoke to Greg and he is getting back to me.

I tried to buy a MG from Jim himself last year but it didn't happen.

Mike, I am looking for option 1. I don't want a NIB Colt safe queen that people are asking $20k for. I want one to shoot, a LOT... I have found the pre '86 conversions are much cheaper than the factory guns which I think makes sense.

Thanks everyone for their input!

Chris

Last edited:
Chris,

What you are referring to is known as a "no colt" or a conversion/converted RR (registered receiver) this applies to any mfgr. AR15. Although you will discover Colt semi AR15's that have been converted these are known as "converted colts" (no factory m16 colts). The term pre86 is not needed as after 1986 it was illegal to manufacture any civillian transferable automatic weapons, this understood in the NFA community. Beyond RR's you can also buy RDIAS ( registered drop in auto sear. There are also variations of mfgr. and quality (steel being the best) the are not many on the registry and the ease of a RDIAS with any host weapon reflects pricing. Lighting link is another option but not recommend. Last, there are factory colt M16's, without getting winded, you will typically find A1's 614's etc. I would recommend asking questions and doing some homework before any NFA purchase, these guns are expensive, and you want to make sure your spending your money wisely. Hope this helps.

Chris,

What you are referring to is known as a "no colt" or a conversion/converted RR (registered receiver) this applies to any mfgr. AR15. Although you will discover Colt semi AR15's that have been converted these are known as "converted colts" (no factory m16 colts). The term pre86 is not needed as after 1986 it was illegal to manufacture any civillian transferable automatic weapons, this understood in the NFA community. Beyond RR's you can also buy RDIAS ( registered drop in auto sear. There are also variations of mfgr. and quality (steel being the best) the are not many on the registry and the ease of a RDIAS with any host weapon reflects pricing. Lighting link is another option but not recommend. Last, there are factory colt M16's, without getting winded, you will typically find A1's 614's etc. I would recommend asking questions and doing some homework before any NFA purchase, these guns are expensive, and you want to make sure your spending your money wisely. Hope this helps.

I have been dabbling in NFA for a short while, thanks for the advice!

Chris

Converted? Generally speaking you're looking at

1- registered receiver (a factory M16 or a gun/receiver built as such before 86 and registered as an MG)
2- registered sear (AKA, RDIAS)
3- registered lightning link

If we're talking option 1 a shitload of RRs are factory M16 receivers. Others may have been builds but I think those are rare, considering when building new MGs was legal there probably was little to no incentive to reinvent the wheel by converting an AR15 and then paying the tax.

-Mike

Don't forget about rewelds.

Gov used to sell cut up M16 receivers for dirt cheap, as scrap. This was before torch cutting, so it was just a clean bandsaw cut or two. Guys like John Norrell and John Stemple perfected the process of jigging two parts of these scrap receivers up, and welding them together to make a "new" receiver out of actual M16 receivers (so you still had the Colt markings, etc).

There is some great info on rewelds in this thread -- http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_23/347921_M16_rewelds.html

Last edited:
deactivated and then reactivated guns are not that common and hold a lesser value for obvious reasons, simply less desirable.

Back
Top Bottom