• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Wrong size cleaning rods for AR15

Joined
Jul 28, 2005
Messages
5,659
Likes
111
Feedback: 6 / 0 / 0
[frown] I just sat down to really clean my Bushmaster Ar15 and just realized the chamber brush has Military 8-36 threads and all my cleaning rods are 8-32. Darn! I just ordered some spare stuff from Bushmaster too (inlcuding a Dewey coated rod)! Now I need to find the adapter and I don't think any shops around here carry them! Maybe I can find something that will work that isn't Dewey.
 
Check out the Dewey website, get the phone number and call. I've spoken with and ordered directly from Brian Dewey. It's a very small family owned company, and the ONLY dealer that resells his products in MA is Four Seasons, who doesn't seem to bother anymore. If you know what you want, call them and they will deal with you directly. Last time I ordered something, I got a couple rods and about 8 brushes...I think it was actually cheaper even after he FedEx ground shipped it to me (He's in CT, so it was like 2 days) than if you were to get it through Midway or somewhere like that.
 
dreppucci007 said:
Check out the Dewey website, get the phone number and call. I've spoken with and ordered directly from Brian Dewey. It's a very small family owned company, and the ONLY dealer that resells his products in MA is Four Seasons, who doesn't seem to bother anymore. If you know what you want, call them and they will deal with you directly. Last time I ordered something, I got a couple rods and about 8 brushes...I think it was actually cheaper even after he FedEx ground shipped it to me (He's in CT, so it was like 2 days) than if you were to get it through Midway or somewhere like that.

Thanks sir.. I didn't even realize they were close by. I'm checking out the website now. It's strange that FS doesn't carry more lines like this. I often wondered if they could do more business if they carried more targets, electronic muffs, etc. Oh well.
 
It's a Bushy fun-gun, not a $3,000+ competition rifle... don't worry about it.

You don't need a Dewy rod for it. A simple USGI cleaning kit, a few extra bore and chamber brushes, a bottle of CLP, patches, (maybe a little Sweets every now and then), and you're good to go.
 
Hey, to each his/her own. I don't know how lugnut feels, but I don't care if it's my Remington 700 or my $100 .22 Marlin, I use a nice coated Dewey rod to clean my guns all the time, even if the rod did cost a little more...I want the quality.
 
dreppucci007 said:
Hey, to each his/her own. I don't know how lugnut feels, but I don't care if it's my Remington 700 or my $100 .22 Marlin, I use a nice coated Dewey rod to clean my guns all the time, even if the rod did cost a little more...I want the quality.

Ditto. Those rods are quality and make it more fun to clean!
 
Chamber Brush

I use a GI rod as it never touches the chamber or barrel. All the rod does is allow you to turn the brush and pull it back out of the chamber.

Brownells probably carries the adapter and has the light weight shipping rate. [smile]
 
Bushmaster has the Dewey cleaning rod adaptor so you can use any cleaning rod, check their web page under cleaning tools.
 
Chamber Brush

Unless you buy their chamber cleaning rod, you are out of luck. A standard rod with the ball bearing handle will just spin and not turn the chamber brush. That's why I use the GI rod.[grin]
 
rscalzo said:
Unless you buy their chamber cleaning rod, you are out of luck. A standard rod with the ball bearing handle will just spin and not turn the chamber brush. That's why I use the GI rod.[grin]

LOL- yeah I understand. I didn't quite realize what the differences are from the std rod and the chamber rod but fortunately I bought one, along with some mops and brushes. ;)
 
Back
Top Bottom