• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Wrong handed AR shooting solutions

Good day, hope everyone is well! I had a question about options to help with being a lefty shooter using the AR platform. I see there are some options for ambi magazine releases from Troy, NORGON, KAC, Strike Industries, and NORGON knock-offs Battle Steel and Arms Unlimited. I was hoping some folks had some experience with these as I was leaning towards grabbing the Strike Industries as I cannot stomach spending more than $30ish bucks on an ambi mag release. Thanks in advance!

Life ain't easy when you're a lefty.
I just train using my left hand for mag changes and use my right to support the rifle. It's not as much of a hindrance as some would make you think.
Rapid fire on a bolt action left handed? (think SMLE) that's a hindrance.
I'm looking into the fully LH AR-15 right now weighing the pros and cons. Haven't decided yet

One of my ARs runs a Seekins Precision with the 70° throw. It's been fine. You can set it for the regular 90° or 70° and has different sized levers. I paid $30 for it. I use the long lever lefty side and the short lever for righties.

However, my preference is for Colt's reversible safety. It eliminates the lever on the other side of the receiver and I find it more pleasant not to have anything near my trigger finger when resting it on the frame or firing. I have to adapt to righties' guns--why shouldn't they have to deal with a true lefty safety?

It's compatible with any milspec lower, too, you don't need a special one. Only $22 as well. And if for some reason you want to make it a regular right-handed safety or you sell your AR and the buyer wants it that way, you can just flip it and it's a regular milspec safety.

I'm a lefty and have the Norgon on all my ARs.
It's Mil-spec, used my the Marines and SOFs.
I've got a left hand upper from Cross Machine and Tool.
It ran great through a 3k round count class and beyond.
Rock River Arms Cross Machine Tool AR Rifle New paint complete left side.jpg

Last edited:
My wife is left handed. I used a Cross Machine Tools ambi-lower as a base and used a Larue ultimate upper kit to finish it.

More money than you want to spend, but the CMT ambi lower is a really well made lower.

Woops--just realized you're talking mag release, not safeties.

For those I just run the regular ones, lol.

LOL no worries, I have radian charging handles and talon ambi safeties and love those products. it just stacks up and gets really annoying that I am spending a good chunk towards an new upper receiver or pistol getting my rifle kitted out to be ambidextrous... 4 rifles x $90 bucks for NORGON = $360... That's obscene and not including the Radian talons and raptors, and thankfully I got those massively discounts on sunnystateoutdoors.com

Last edited:
My wife is left handed. I used a Cross Machine Tools ambi-lower as a base and used a Larue ultimate upper kit to finish it.

More money than you want to spend, but the CMT ambi lower is a really well made lower.

Ironically enough 1/2 my lowers are YHM, and I love that company and their products. I'll have to check out Cross Machine Tools for future builds.

Good day, hope everyone is well! I had a question about options to help with being a lefty shooter using the AR platform. I see there are some options for ambi magazine releases from Troy, NORGON, KAC, Strike Industries, and NORGON knock-offs Battle Steel and Arms Unlimited. I was hoping some folks had some experience with these as I was leaning towards grabbing the Strike Industries as I cannot stomach spending more than $30ish bucks on an ambi mag release. Thanks in advance!

The only thing I needed was a good quality ambi saftey. I shoot leftyy half the time (left eye dominant) and feel comfortable. BADS get in the way of the MOA.

Mag release on RHS doesn't bug me.

Oh. I also use a BCM mod 4 charging handle. The vltor is nice too, but the charging handle and safety and I'm good to go with either hand.

I’m a lefty, my wife is not. I thought about this very thing as well as ever other ambi issue out there. I came to the conclusion that I would be better off learning left hand manipulation of right handed firearms. This way I can pick up any gun and feel comfortable and merely appear awkward. Enter this video

View: https://youtu.be/KeHevvoWws4

An ambi charging handle is a must (Radian Raptor) and the ambi safety is take/leave. I hate that this is where I’m at, but it was just what I decided for myself. I’m still grappling with bolt action rifles. Pistol grip and bipod seem necessary. I learned to shoot on a righty .22 bolt action with a throw that didn’t hit my left hand, so left hand bolt manipulation feels awkward. Anything else, short or long action, will smash my trigger hand when running the bolt unless a pistol grip is present. Anyway, good luck fellow lefties. Do what feels right and just practice, train, repeat.

Last edited:
I’m a lefty, my wife is not. I thought about this very thing as well as ever other ambi issue out there. I came to the conclusion that I would be better off learning left hand manipulation of right handed firearms. This way I can pick up any gun and feel comfortable and merely appear awkward. Enter this video

View: https://youtu.be/KeHevvoWws4

An ambi charging handle is a must (Radian Raptor) and the ambi safety is take/leave. I hate that this is where I’m at, but it was just what I decided for myself. I’m still grappling with bolt action rifles. Pistol grip and bipod seem necessary. I learned to shoot on a righty .22 bolt action with a throw that didn’t hit my left hand, so left hand bolt manipulation feels awkward. Anything else, short or long action, will smash my trigger hand when running the bolt unless a pistol grip is present. Anyway, good luck fellow lefties. Do what feels right and just practice, train, repeat.

Great stuff, thanks.

As a south-paw, I've never had any issue using the platform other than catching brass down the shirt or having it land on my arm while prone.

To the contrary, I find that you can respond to a stoppage easier because you can see the bolt with your non-dominant eye while pulling the charging handle with the left hand (never have to remove the stock from your shoulder)

As a south-paw, I've never had any issue using the platform other than catching brass down the shirt or having it land on my arm while prone.

To the contrary, I find that you can respond to a stoppage easier because you can see the bolt with your non-dominant eye while pulling the charging handle with the left hand (never have to remove the stock from your shoulder)
this
This. I think platform works better shooting lefty.

If you are a true lefty there should be no problems with the AR. Only thing is a A1 with out the brass deflector you will get a few random pieces of brass dinging your ear or shoulder on the right side and possible the brim of your hat if you get all up into the rear sight. Nose to charge handle style.
Im a lefty and really dont find any reason for the ambi add ons. I have one AR with the ambi safety but im so used to using my trigger finger/nuckle i hardly use it. i have a ambi mag release on my 22lr dedicated lower , im not even sure why.

Doesn’t Geissele have an ambi mag release? I don’t know how much they cost, but it may be a start. Although, if the Strike Industries ambi is more than you want to spend, I’d expect the Geissele (if they have it) would be too.

ARF classified?

I run stock rifle's left handed just fine. Had to do it in the army and I think adding anything new would just screw me up. Best of luck with what ever you decide on!

Lefty's come in second of God's cruel jokes (after gingers).
That's why back in the old days nuns at Catholic schools used to smack the blasphemers
on the hand with a ruler for their sacrilege to correct and atone for their sin.

flanders-leftorium.jpg

Doesn’t Geissele have an ambi mag release? I don’t know how much they cost, but it may be a start. Although, if the Strike Industries ambi is more than you want to spend, I’d expect the Geissele (if they have it) would be too.

ARF classified?

Geissele only does the oversized bolt catch which is compatible with NORGON.

While practicing weapons manipulation for standard rifles is important, I was just looking to make my rifle more user friendly. I already run my glock stock to be familiar with handling.

Geissele only does the oversized bolt catch which is compatible with NORGON.

While practicing weapons manipulation for standard rifles is important, I was just looking to make my rifle more user friendly. I already run my glock stock to be familiar with handling.
Most LH gun stuff was thought up by righties so it does not work well generally.

I've never had a problem shooting left handed with any firearm. The only modification I have ever made to anything was to my 1911's. So, all my 1911's wear an ambi. All my shotguns are doubles or have a top tang safety. I have one left handed firearm, a Ruger gunsight Scout, thats it. For bench guns I prefer a right handed bolt, I usually single feed rounds, so my fire control hand never leaves position and the rifle stays in the bags with minimal movement or shift in position. I think clearing malfunctions is way easier as a lefty as well. Its much easier to pronate your firing hand rather than supinate it for clearing pistols.

I have the KAC ambi mag release. I didn’t love it and took it off after my first trip to the range with it. I’ve been thinking about installing it again, but as others have mentioned I also see value in just running it the regular way.

Back
Top Bottom