• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

WRKO Transmitter

Those antennas have been a pain in my ass all my life.
When I would run speaker cables across my room, you could hear WRKO talk shows through the speakers even when there was NO power to them.
When we used to have copper lines to our phones the radio used to play so loud through them that many times you'd give up trying to talk.
The phone company was out here so many times trying to fix it with filters and the like. We used to buy phones with the shortest cords to keep it to minimum .
Cordless phones were just out completely.
They forced the entire neighborhood to go to fiber optic as soon it was available to solve the problem.
I live close enough that we'd walk down and play ice hockey under them .

Frank-4.png

I have a friend who is an engineer for I Heart Radio, he was up at the WRKO transmitter site yesterday and sent me a few pics:
Ask him to take a picture of the graph
where they go QRP at 6:00PM summer weekdays
just to rub Howie's rhubarb.

Those antennas have been a pain in my ass all my life.
I live close enough that we'd walk down and play ice hockey under them .
The tingle tells you they're working.

As I told @cockpitbob in a PM almost six years ago...

(I once stopped my bicycle for a water break on a hot summer day underneath​
and the [bicycle] frame was plucking so much energy from the stray field​
that my thigh was getting nipped by the seat post cross bolt.​
I first thought it was a stinging insect, and then thought it was a steel burr.​
Took me a minute to realize I was getting shocked.​
I moved another 100 yards to finish my drink, ...).​

WRKO bugs me because I try to listen to it all the time in Walpole and can hardly pick it up and I can see Boston from my yard, but if I drive up to Concord NH and further I hear it as clear as a bell. I guess they care more about people in NH than us in lib Mass

WRKO bugs me because I try to listen to it all the time in Walpole and can hardly pick it up and I can see Boston from my yard, but if I drive up to Concord NH and further I hear it as clear as a bell. I guess they care more about people in NH than us in lib Mass

The antenna towers are lined up North & South, so that's the direction the signal pattern radiates.
It's really bad if you're West of Boston, especially after sundown when they lower the power.
For those West of Framingham, you can't even hear WRKO at night.

we built a solar panel farm over in Ashland, under the big towers behind the Hess Station. When the solar guys would unlock the gates next to the outbuildings in the morning you could hear the spanish speaking channel through the vibrations in the chain link.

When we used to have copper lines to our phones the radio used to play so loud through them that many times you'd give up trying to talk.
I had that with WTAG as a kid.

They forced the entire neighborhood to go to fiber optic as soon it was available to solve the problem
Well, that's not going to happen.

As I told @cockpitbob in a PM almost six years ago...

(I once stopped my bicycle for a water break on a hot summer day underneathsome of the other (345KVAC?) outputs from Sandy Pond Substation,and the [bicycle] frame was plucking so much energy from the stray fieldthat my thigh was getting nipped by the seat post cross bolt.I first thought it was a stinging insect, and then thought it was a steel burr.Took me a minute to realize I was getting shocked.I moved another 100 yards to finish my drink, ...).
I had this happen to me under the power lines at Greenbriar park in Oxford. My friend thought I was nuts. Then he touched my bike and said "Let's get outta here!".

Back
Top Bottom