• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Wrentham Man charged and firearms seized

Did the story say how the police found out?

Doesn't look like an ex-girlfriend or something like that.

According to police, none of the weapons listed had serial numbers; officials believe that Roby was assembling them in his home after purchasing different parts of the weapon(s). The suspect does not and has never had a license to carry a firearm, State Police say.
Multiple organizations - both state and national - also provided aid in the preceding investigation, including the Norfolk County DA and the Massachusetts Attorney General's Office. U.S. Customs and Border Patrol, the U.S. Postal Inspection Service, and Homeland Security assisted during the investigation as well.

"This investigation and warrant execution was a shining example of a multi-agency partnership, and one that removed an arsenal of home-assembled high-capacity weapons from a defendant who was not authorized by law to make or possess them," Colonel Kerry A. Gilpin, superintendent of Mass. State Police, is quoted as saying in a release by police.

Did the story say how the police found out?

"According to police, none of the weapons listed had serial numbers; officials believe that Roby was assembling them in his home after purchasing different parts of the weapon(s). The suspect does not and has never had a license to carry a firearm, State Police say."

Where have we heard this story before?

Followed with

"Multiple organizations - both state and national - also provided aid in the preceding investigation, including the Norfolk County DA and the Massachusetts Attorney General's Office. U.S. Customs and Border Patrol, the U.S. Postal Inspection Service, and Homeland Security assisted during the investigation as well. "

I think it's a safe bet the USPS tipped off the others based upon packages he was receiving in the mail...

"According to police, none of the weapons listed had serial numbers; officials believe that Roby was assembling them in his home after purchasing different parts of the weapon(s). The suspect does not and has never had a license to carry a firearm, State Police say."

Where have we heard this story before?

Followed with

"Multiple organizations - both state and national - also provided aid in the preceding investigation, including the Norfolk County DA and the Massachusetts Attorney General's Office. U.S. Customs and Border Patrol, the U.S. Postal Inspection Service, and Homeland Security assisted during the investigation as well. "

I think it's a safe bet the USPS tipped off the others based upon packages he was receiving in the mail...
So how does this work? They track all this stuff coming and going, cross reference with the locals to determine if someone is licensed and if not they get a warrant? If they are licensed but theyre getting too much stuff or potentially the "wrong" stuff they get a warrant?
eta- Or is it more likely that someone pops up on their radar first for some reason and then they start tracking his purchases?

Last edited:
I have a hard time wrapping my brain around someone going to jail for the rest of their lives simply because they owned a little piece of metal that fits into a pistol and yet here we are.

I have more of a hard time wrapping my brain around the federal government's willful defiance of a direct prohibition on them infringing on citizen's protected right to keep and bear arms.

When government refuses to obey the law they lose their authority to demand that I do.

ROBY is charged with the following offenses:
1. Possession of a Machine Gun (multiple counts);
2. Unlawful Possession of a Firearm (multiple counts);
3. Possession of a Large Capacity Weapon or Feeding Device (multiple counts);
4. Unlawful Possession of Ammunition;
5. Using or Possessing a Silencer (multiple counts);
6. Production, Possession, Transportation or Use of Explosives or a Destructive Device (multiple counts); and
7. Unlawful Possession of Fireworks.

ROBY is charged with the following offenses:
1. Possession of a Machine Gun (multiple counts);
2. Unlawful Possession of a Firearm (multiple counts);
3. Possession of a Large Capacity Weapon or Feeding Device (multiple counts);
4. Unlawful Possession of Ammunition;
5. Using or Possessing a Silencer (multiple counts);
6. Production, Possession, Transportation or Use of Explosives or a Destructive Device (multiple counts); and
7. Unlawful Possession of Fireworks.

You can clearly see that Number 7 is what really put the nail in his coffin.

He would have 7 days from the time it is capable of firing a shot, not necessarily from the time the lower was finished.
You only need a serial # to transfer a firearm.

If you build one you have 7 days to FA-10 it and you can FA-10 it without a serial #.

@Len-2A Training, please correct me if I’m wrong.

He would have 7 days from the time it is capable of firing a shot, not necessarily from the time the lower was finished.

You only need a serial # to transfer a firearm.

If you build one you have 7 days to FA-10 it and you can FA-10 it without a serial #.

@Len-2A Training, please correct me if I’m wrong.
I don't see how anyone could ever be convicted for failing to FA-10 a home made firearm. I have parts that I purchased 5 years ago that I haven't used yet. If I assemble a rifle tomorrow, how would the Government prove that it was assembled more than 7 days ago?

I don't see how anyone could ever be convicted for failing to FA-10 a home made firearm. I have parts that I purchased 5 years ago that I haven't used yet. If I assemble a rifle tomorrow, how would the Government prove that it was assembled more than 7 days ago?
I agree, its dumb. My understanding is it comes from the way they define a firearm. Part of that definition is "capable of firing" a projectile. If it isnt capable of doing that, it isnt a firearm. If it isnt a firearm, it doesnt need to be registered.

Back
Top Bottom