WPD 91-106 S&W 5906

42!

NES Life Member
NES Member
Had an ok day with an auction, ended up with S&W 5906, with WPD 91-106 stamped on the frame. Figured I'd give it a shot trying to find out what the markings are.

Pretty easy to figure out its W?????? Police Department, and I'm going to guess the 91 is the year 1991, and the 106 is just an ID number. It would be fun to find out what PD had it.

And so I appeal to the great NES brain trust. Does anyone know where this came from? There are plenty of Ws around, and it could be anywhere, it's not limited to MA, so speculation is pointless. I guess I'm hoping someone will say "ya I remember those".

1669172561554.png

those are great guns IMO. i have a few stashed around the house.
I'm starting to get embarrassed by the number of those pistols I have. That one is part of a 2 gun lot with the 5906 and a 669. In my defence, there re no 2 exactly alike.... yet. I want one of the RCMP marked ones.

Had an ok day with an auction, ended up with S&W 5906, with WPD 91-106 stamped on the frame. Figured I'd give it a shot trying to find out what the markings are.

Pretty easy to figure out its W?????? Police Department, and I'm going to guess the 91 is the year 1991, and the 106 is just an ID number. It would be fun to find out what PD had it.

And so I appeal to the great NES brain trust. Does anyone know where this came from? There are plenty of Ws around, and it could be anywhere, it's not limited to MA, so speculation is pointless. I guess I'm hoping someone will say "ya I remember those".

View attachment 689737
A friend ended up with an Ithaca 37 that had RCMP markings. Guns do get around!

I have a 5903 TSW that came from the Atlanta PD, apparently a lot of PD's used them a while back.

I'm looking at a couple at auction, a Devel S&W59 and a Scorpion 39-2 by Trapper Gun Inc. I just don't know if I'm ready to throw down that kind on money.

1670478493409.png1670478587158.png

What kind of auctions do you find around? Are they online or estate sales? Where can I find good auctions?

Thanks

Pretty sure it came from Springfield, MA.

I'll see myself out.

What kind of auctions do you find around? Are they online or estate sales? Where can I find good auctions?

Thanks
The short answer rockislandauction.com is where I go most of the time. To the point that they call me to "remind" me of upcoming auctions. An actual human being calls. Its important to remember, you don't go there looking for a specific gun, you are not shopping. You go and see what's coming up and deside if you want the lot. I've bid on lots where I only really care about one or two items, so I get some guns I don't care much about. Sometimes I'm plesantly surprised, like the pre-ban SKS that takes AK47 mags. It was just a come along for a gun I wanted, turns out to be worth more than I paid.

Been thinking of starting a thread for this. It would have to include rules on what an auction is. Gunbroker is NOT an auction. I'll put it up later today

What is an auction:
Can be online or in person, often streamed real-time.
There is a set time of the auction where multiple lots will be sold with the fall of the hammer. They do not continually extend the auction deadline.
Multiple item lots will often be included, but not an absolute requirement.
There is NEVER a buy it now option.
You NEVER deal directly with a seller, you deal only with the auction house.
Most will have a buyer's premium.
Real Estate auction will often have just one lot, gun auction will always have multiple lots.

What I wouldn't want is post about GunBroker or eBay, these are examples of NOT an auction.
Examples of real auction Rock Island Auctions, Morphy Auctions, HiBid.com (maybe)

The short answer rockislandauction.com is where I go most of the time. To the point that they call me to "remind" me of upcoming auctions. An actual human being calls. Its important to remember, you don't go there looking for a specific gun, you are not shopping. You go and see what's coming up and deside if you want the lot. I've bid on lots where I only really care about one or two items, so I get some guns I don't care much about. Sometimes I'm plesantly surprised, like the pre-ban SKS that takes AK47 mags. It was just a come along for a gun I wanted, turns out to be worth more than I paid.

Been thinking of starting a thread for this. It would have to include rules on what an auction is. Gunbroker is NOT an auction. I'll put it up later today

What is an auction:
Can be online or in person, often streamed real-time.
There is a set time of the auction where multiple lots will be sold with the fall of the hammer. They do not continually extend the auction deadline.
Multiple item lots will often be included, but not an absolute requirement.
There is NEVER a buy it now option.
You NEVER deal directly with a seller, you deal only with the auction house.
Most will have a buyer's premium.
Real Estate auction will often have just one lot, gun auction will always have multiple lots.

What I wouldn't want is post about GunBroker or eBay, these are examples of NOT an auction.
Examples of real auction Rock Island Auctions, Morphy Auctions, HiBid.com (maybe)
Great, thanks for the info 👍🏻

That is hard core S&W semi auto collecting!

As to your original question a call to customer service at the factory will at least get you a production date. Other people have had luck getting who it was originally shipped to, but i've never had luck with that.

The RCMP and NYPD used the 5946 Double Action Only versions. I believe that the RCMP recently took their's out of service.

I'm looking at a couple at auction, a Devel S&W59 and a Scorpion 39-2 by Trapper Gun Inc. I just don't know if I'm ready to throw down that kind on money.

View attachment 695516View attachment 695518

Sorry. :)

At one time, the 5906 owned the market for duty pistols, while the 3913 did the same for non-uniform carry.

Back
Top Bottom