• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

WPA 30-06 experience

I've been looking for some cheap range ammo for my 30-06 rifle and I ran across the WPA stuff at a pretty reasonable price in bulk. It's Russian made (Wolf), steel case, 145 grain. Has anyone shot any of this stuff? I'd like some feedback on it before I buy a couple of thousand rounds.

If anyone knows of a shop that sells it locally let me know and I'll go grab a box or two and take it to the range. I haven't been able to find it in the shops in the Milford, Ma area. Thanks All.

Depends on what you are shooting it out of. I probably wouldn't run it through my Garand, or a really fancy bolt gun but for plinking why not?

The Russian ammo is mostly steel jacket (with a thin copper plating) and it wears bores faster. The steel cases don't expand when the gun is fired and that tends to make it shoot a bit dirtier (more gas can leak back into the action from the chamber). The steel cases are a bit harder on things like extractors, depending on the specifics of the gun.

The suggestion to look for surplus ammo is a good one.

I ki have a couple of cases of steel case .223 here for the next ammo shortage. I shoot the brass case stuff first though.

Garands were designed around 30-06 ammo that was lower pressure than a lot of modern 30-06 loads. Can wreck your op rod.

I'd worry about the pressure with a Garand for sure. No idea how hot that stuff is loaded.

I agree but the 147 grain stuff is only 2700fps I'm doubtful the gas pressure at the port is really going to be to high.

You could reload some cheap bullets and still have ammo 100% better or order your 10 case limit from cmp. For not much more and be sealed in nice tins.

Last edited:
Garands were designed around 30-06 ammo that was lower pressure than a lot of modern 30-06 loads. Can wreck your op rod.

Garand was designed for 276 the army said hey JCG you know we got 2billion rounds left over from WWI make it work in the M1 will yeah... the M1 I'm,sure saw many many rounds of M1 ball ammo with 174gn bullet at 2600fps.

I know the gas port pressure is what determines if your op rod gets beat to death or not. Although I would put the 147 grain WPA wolf through my gun with out issue NOW what I wouldn't use is the wolf gold as that will have 180 gn bullet going close to 2700fps.

OP if you get some wolf wpa post a report no matter what gun you have.

Believe it or not I'm still shooting .30-06 cartridges from way back. I had such a surplus. Some of the 20 rd boxes are marked at $ 3 and change! With that said the only Wolf ammo I've used has been .223 out of my Remington 700 ( remember that?) and I've had no trouble at all.

I'd buy some of the HXP ammo from CMP. It's 60 cents per round shipped in a sealed spam can. 192 rounds per can. Is the WPA cheaper than 60 cents and come with a spam can, bandoleers, and stripper clips?

viewImage.aspx

Last edited:
I will and I'm putting it through a modern hunting rifle.

If the ammo is being shot out of a modern bolt action rifle (assuming that's what you mean by "hunting rifle"), then you should be fine. Might just have to yank on the bolt a little more to extract the steel cases. If it's a semi auto like a Browning BAR or a Blaser or a Benelli, I'd just check with the manufacturer.

That being said, if you're going to be hunting with the rifle, I'd use more hunting friendly ammo to shoot with. CommBloc/Eastern European ammo can be very off in terms of the accuracy department and simply won't function the same as say Remington CoreLokt or a premium hunting round. I've seen great Russian ammo and I've seen absolutely shit Russian ammo - same goes for Yugo, Bulgarian, etc.

If the ammo is being shot out of a modern bolt action rifle (assuming that's what you mean by "hunting rifle"), then you should be fine. Might just have to yank on the bolt a little more to extract the steel cases. If it's a semi auto like a Browning BAR or a Blaser or a Benelli, I'd just check with the manufacturer.

That being said, if you're going to be hunting with the rifle, I'd use more hunting friendly ammo to shoot with. CommBloc/Eastern European ammo can be very off in terms of the accuracy department and simply won't function the same as say Remington CoreLokt or a premium hunting round. I've seen great Russian ammo and I've seen absolutely shit Russian ammo - same goes for Yugo, Bulgarian, etc.

Yea it's a bolt action and I would never dream of using that ammo for anything but plinking at the range. Come hunting time I use my hunting ammo to make sure everything is GTG.

It'll be fine in your bolt gun. I'm assuming it's not a fancy one with a hand lapped barrel like a Weatherby Mark V or the like. If it was you probably wouldn't be looking for ammo bargains. Blast away!

Back
Top Bottom