WOW!!! Nice Nagant!!!

God, why did I have to pick up this rifle midway through my work day?? I just returned from Pat's Gun Shop in Lanesboro where I picked up my new to me Mosin Nagant M-44! I now have this insane urge to blow off the rest of my day and get to the range!

This gun is in really beautiful shape! Bore is shiny, stock looks nice, numbers match, (so far) and it came with a double pouch, tool kit, greaser, (still packed with grease) and a sling. I have no earthly idea what all the tools are for yet, so it looks like I'll need to do some reading.

I also picked up 3 varieties of 7.62x54R. The first is new Brown Bear ammo, the second was a box of 10-rounds of FMJ. They came in stripper clips and were packaged in an oddly shaped brown cardboard box. The last ammo was 40-rounds packed 20 per box in very light green, (mint) colored boxes. They stand out because the coating on the cases is dark green and the projectiles have a silver tip. None of this stuff is marked as far as I can tell, so any tips would be great. I have the day off tomorrow and will post pics along with a range report. This rifle seems to be sweet! I'm so excited! Amazing what a $75.00 gun can do for the soul eh? [grin]

The clipped ammo sounds like Bulgarian light ball, and the other sorta sounds like Czech silver tip (but that came in paper packages)

Treat the second two sets as corrosive and clean thoroughly with Hoppes after you're done.

There should be a screwdriver looking tool in the kit with a few notches cut out on it. Thats your firing pin protrusion tool, its used to check how far the firing pin is sticking out of the bolt.
I've got a few links posted here for surplusrifle's site that shows how to take the bolt apart, re-assemble, and use the tool.
The brown bear ammo is non corrosive new production ammo. Its heavy hitting, and you'll feel it.[smile] The other 2 are corrosive (at least primer wise). M-Pro7 or windex removes the corrosive salts from the bore, inside the chamber, and bolt face. Just be sure to use Break Free or Kroil after for metal protection because any water based cleaner used foir corrosive ammo deposits removal will leave the metal unprotected.

There should be a screwdriver looking tool in the kit with a few notches cut out on it. Thats your firing pin protrusion tool, its used to check how far the firing pin is sticking out of the bolt.
I've got a few links posted here for surplusrifle's site that shows how to take the bolt apart, re-assemble, and use the tool.
The brown bear ammo is non corrosive new production ammo. Its heavy hitting, and you'll feel it.[smile] The other 2 are corrosive (at least primer wise). M-Pro7 or windex removes the corrosive salts from the bore, inside the chamber, and bolt face. Just be sure to use Break Free or Kroil after for metal protection because any water based cleaner used foir corrosive ammo deposits removal will leave the metal unprotected.

Thanks - you too vellnueve! Yes, the tool that looks like a bottle opener is there, along with some other bits and pieces - one looks like a jag, but I can't make out what the others are for. Looks like I'll have to do some surfing tonight. I'm amazed at how nice this rifle is - like a walk through time....

Congrats and enjoy - I look forward to the day I add one to my collection.

I'm really glad I bought it - if for nothing else than something new to mess around with. I buy one gun annually - kind of a firearms savings plan, until my wife finishes her RNP, (thank God for August 08!). This year, it went to my daughter who decided to ski race. So, I got my annual gun and got to make my daughter happy....Works great for me... [wink]

I can't figure out where they're all coming from in such good shape. I bought this one a few months ago and it looks like it just came out of the factory... as do most of those available now. I brought it to the truck shoot and it not only looks like new, but acts that way too.

No, I did not take part in the bayonet charge.

One gun a year !!!!!??? You are a sick puppy...get with the flow and join the gun of the month club.

web%20m44_1.jpg

I can't figure out where they're all coming from in such good shape. I bought this one a few months ago and it looks like it just came out of the factory... as do most of those available now. I brought it to the truck shoot and it not only looks like new, but acts that way too.

No, I did not take part in the bayonet charge.

One gun a year !!!!!??? You are a sick puppy...get with the flow and join the gun of the month club.

web%20m44_1.jpg

Wow! That's sweet looking. Mine looks much the same only my tool kit is pleather and my sling is green and the loops brown leather. Other than that, it looks close to new. I wonder if it's just the way they were stacked for storage or something, as the examples I saw in the gun shops last year or so were pretty beat....

I think the ones out now are imported by a company called R Guns. People slammed this company when their rifles first started showing up because of a huge import stamp on the receiver, but they have imported some very nice rifles including a good number of rarities like 1943 dated M44s for example.
The reason why they look so good is because about 80% of the M44s, 91/30s, and a few other examples that will be out there soon like another batch of M38s, is that these rifles were all refurbished in Russian arsenals. That process means new bluing, replacement of worn or damaged parts, and renumbering to match. They are in a sense, brand new rifles because I don't think any of them were shot after refurbishing.
There is one company out there that is selling M44s that haven't been refurbished. These are well used rifles and show it. They have an accessory deal going and are selling them for $99.99 which is actually a little high for a major distributor.

Okay, first off, thanks so much everyone! It's been a long day, (I had to work until 9pm)!

I got the rifle home and gave her a good going over. Everything seems to match. The bolt, receiver, magazine latch and buttstock are all marked with two symbols and the number 9465. The receiver is also marked with '1945r'. The bore still appears to have some cosmo on deck, so it needs a good scrubbing. The front sight hood is also tweaked a bit. Looking down at it with the rifle on it's belly, it appears to be canted to the right at about 1 o'clock. Since the post itself looks okay, I'm not sure if this will affect accuracy, but I'll find out in the snow tomorrow... [grin] The M44 is imported indeed by RGuns and is in the 28,000 range. The only thing I noticed was that with the firing pin down, it takes a bit of effort to action the bolt - nothing extraordinary, but was wondering if this is normal. Other than that, I'm thrilled with it - what a nice looking rifle for 75-bucks! I already want another one and I haven't even shot this one yet....

The only thing I noticed was that with the firing pin down, it takes a bit of effort to action the bolt - nothing extraordinary, but was wondering if this is normal.

You mean once the bolt is closed?
If so thats normal. When the bolt is closed and locked and the firing pin is released, there is pressure when you turn the bolt handle to open it because of the locking lugs and the spring inside the bolt that cocks it again.
Once nifty thing about Mosins is that if you chamber a round and pull the trigger and the round doesn't go off, you can recock the bolt without oppening it simply by pulling back on the cocking knob with the bolt still closed.
Here's how to operate the safety along with some other useful info: http://www.surplusrifle.com/russianmosin189130/operations.asp

You mean once the bolt is closed?
If so thats normal. When the bolt is closed and locked and the firing pin is released, there is pressure when you turn the bolt handle to open it because of the locking lugs and the spring inside the bolt that cocks it again.
Once nifty thing about Mosins is that if you chamber a round and pull the trigger and the round doesn't go off, you can recock the bolt without oppening it simply by pulling back on the cocking knob with the bolt still closed.
Here's how to operate the safety along with some other useful info: http://www.surplusrifle.com/russianmosin189130/operations.asp

Yup - that's exactly it. Thanks for the link - going to check it out and read up some more. That's a neat feature for sure. I'm really glad I got this rifle - tweaked sight and all. It has a lot of character and I can't help but to wonder where it's been and who had it before me....

**EDIT** Neat site - thanks! Mine is from the Izhevsk Arsenal. The safety is pretty neat - I've read complaints about them, but I like the feel of it.

Last edited:
The clipped ammo sounds like Bulgarian light ball, and the other sorta sounds like Czech silver tip (but that came in paper packages)

Treat the second two sets as corrosive and clean thoroughly with Hoppes after you're done.

Hoppes won't do it----you have to have an amonia based cleaner
for corrosive ammo. Use Windex with amonia and pour down the barrel and then wipe down the bolt face and surrounding area.

i bring a small squeez bottle with the mixture and after shooting at the
range i pour it down the barrel, just to be safe---incase i forget to
clean it immediately after getting home.

Pats is my favorite place

blueleader

This was a common thing for me in the beginning, go out for lunch and buy a gun often my lunch hour turned into two hours. My place was very flexable at one time.

This was a common thing for me in the beginning, go out for lunch and buy a gun often my lunch hour turned into two hours. My place was very flexable at one time.

I work in psychiatric outreach, so when I'm in the neighborhood, I stop by Pat's and shoot the bull. By the way, he has only two M-44's left. One is $75.00 - the other $90.00

I put another 50-rounds through mine yesterday - this thing is awesome!

Hoppes won't do it----you have to have an amonia based cleaner
for corrosive ammo. Use Windex with amonia and pour down the barrel and then wipe down the bolt face and surrounding area.

i bring a small squeez bottle with the mixture and after shooting at the
range i pour it down the barrel, just to be safe---incase i forget to
clean it immediately after getting home.

Pats is my favorite place

blueleader

Hoppes has ammonia in it.

I use the orginal G.I. Rifle Bore Cleaner and the G.I. Weapons oil(bores only) on all my guns. I never had one problem yet with corrosive ammo. I think its the humidity and moisture enviroment that activates the corrosive to take action in our bores. I put away a rifle after shooting it with corrosive ammo for almost 1 year, i forgot about it. When i finally remembered i figured the worst. After cleaning the bore it was perfect and undamaged. Again its the enviroment we store our guns in that matters. My guns are stored in safes were its very dry.

I soak my bores with the orginal G.I. rifle bore cleaner then i run patches thru it until there clean, Let the juices flow and do there thing. Let it soak. Then i run dry patches thru it and then oil up the bores with G.I. Weapons oil.

I had a gun shop that had wall to wall C&R guns in the racks. I could browse and paw on everything for hours. The owner was great and never bothered anyone. Too bad he went out of business The Meriden Trading Post was an awesome place to shop he had every mauser that you could think of. Just imagine the smell of cosmoline when you first walked into the place and it had 12 racks that were 20' long full of all types of c&r's. I was in C&R heaven....I miss that place...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom