Wow, Indycar has "The Big One"

Lone Wolf McQuade

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Saw it live as well difficult to watch it again. Several years ago I did the Richard Petty Driving Experence at the same track. I was going just over 150 MPH down the straits but Dan was going 70MPH faster. Life is very fast at that speed.
RIP Dan.

OCB

NES Member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Completely removed skull from spine without tearing the skin. Not sure of the clinical term but I stand by "decapitation" for the sake of this discussion.

Sent from the Hyundai of the droids, the Samsung Replenish, using Tapatalk.
internal decapitation. apparently also called orthopedic decapitation.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Completely removed skull from spine without tearing the skin. Not sure of the clinical term but I stand by "decapitation" for the sake of this discussion.
Fair enough. I read skull fracture, amongst other things.

Two racers down yesterday, very sad. I hope their families have as easy a time as possible, considering.

cekim

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Wow, good photo of what happened. Look at how deformed his helmet was.
Frankly, can't see well enough to see deformation, but its pretty clear and well understood that if the roll bar doesn't keep your head from being the highest point on the car, it will end badly...

This doesn't need to be a "blood sport," but I have to roll my eyes every time people start out-gassing about this aspect or that aspect of flying around a track at anything north of really about 80MPH... The forces/energy involved in crashes beyond that point are simply stunning when you do the math.

I don't wish for anyone to get hurt, and I am sure they will pour over the data and likely make rule changes, but given the safety record in recent decades, I don't think anyone should be looking for a smoking gun "rule" that caused this to happen.

Could be a materials failure - certainly the design of the cockpit was supposed to nearly preclude this from happening, but...

Could be someone cheating the rules - I am sure there will be more scrutiny on that car than than JFK's assassination...

However, getting up in arms about IRL, rules, track configurations, etc... at this point is premature. Racing is dangerous.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I had the "British Embassy" over yesterday. I DVR'd the F1 race (thrilling racing in the second stint by Webber and Hamilton) and the lads stopped by to watch at about 9:30. We grilled and popped a few pints, then got set for the "other" race. We were all talking about the speeds and the conjested field. My buddy Mike, from Liverpool, said "great marketing with Wheldon but I bet he wrecks" about 30 minutes before green. There were lots of "whoas" and "wwooooos" from my British friends from the start.

There was silence during and after the wreck.

We kept the TV on until what we all suspected was the case. Then we shut it off, cleaned up my house, and they went home. Barely a word said.

Guess what I'm saying is that I've done this about 50 times with this lot of Brits, and never has it been so quiet.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
However, getting up in arms about IRL, rules, track configurations, etc... at this point is premature. Racing is dangerous.
Racing is dangerous, but there are some risks that can be mitigated. F1 has substantially upped their safety without truly taking away from the sport since that awful weekend in '94. The fact that the sport is inherently dangerous does not mean certain measures shouldn't be undertaken to hedge some of those risks. Simple things like longer runoff areas can save lives.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Schumacher got hit from behind by "the Flying Petrov" in the Korea race. Petrov launched but because it was under braking heading into turn 1 the cars absorbed the impact. It was similar to Webber's crash a few years ago in Monaco, IIRC.

These Indy cars were flat out, at 220 MPH when the crash started. Big difference in speeds obviously between ovals and F1 circuits, but the racing is equally exciting.

Actually, the road circuits are more exciting. I've never seen better, more impressive driving than Hamilton and Webber this past Sunday. On the edge, but in control.

Rating - 98.5%
66   1   0
I think it was 3 years ago now that Monday Night Football stopped the "jacked up" segment where the MNF crew highlighted and glorified the biggest hits off the week.... In my mind this was the beginning of Football stopping the perpetuation and glorifiaction of the "big hit" or the "knockout blow" in football. Why? conncussions where up, neck injuries ect ect

Nascar in particular is one of the worst sports for the crash being part of every TV spot and commercial. Worse, I hear Nascar "fans" all the time say the crashes are the best part.... I dont claim to know IndyCar and from what ive seen that dont go to the degree that Nascar does in "advertise" or sell crashes as part of the sport. But IMHO offering 5million reward on a race track that people had concerns over is asking for trouble

Top Bottom