• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

WOW _ WOE _ WOW _ WOW !!!!

Wouldn't count on it next year, but if it holds up it is great news. Sadly, a lot of these breakthroughs are misinterpreted by media and completely glass over the challenges associated with them.

What’s the source of this video? Just released tonight? Notwithstanding the implications for hunting and sport this is very meaningful to me because my father and maternal grandmother died from ALS. My mother-in-law is currently dying from FTD (fronto-temporal dementia) and living with us.

Certainly the speaker has some gravity and hope in his words. I hope for the best to come of this discovery.

Don't buy it.... One I've heard of this theory and it's been largely debunked. 2nd this theory is based on CWD being caused by bacteria not a malformed protein (prion). But that doesn't withstand examination. For example, deer farmers have torched their entire property, didn't farm the land for a decade, and it still came back right away when deer returned to the land.

Researchers claim cure to deadly deer disease, game commission responds

Don't buy it.... One I've heard of this theory and it's been largely debunked. 2nd this theory is based on CWD being caused by bacteria not a malformed protein (prion). But that doesn't withstand examination. For example, deer farmers have torched their entire property, didn't farm the land for a decade, and it still came back right away when deer returned to the land.

While I agree this is unlikely to go anywhere, bacteria are resilient and can survive extremely lengthy periods outside a host in some cases- the most extreme example I know of is on the scale of millions of years.

Can "Zombie Deer" Disease Kill Humans? Research Suggests It Already Has

If the zombie apocalypse were to become real, this seems a plausible avenue for infection.
Seems these prions are really nasty buggers that are extremely hard to kill or sterilize.
The deer infect the environment as they die and plants readily uptake and bind to prions, contaminating food grown there. It is not just spread through predation, but grazing also.

Question from the video in OP, is the bacteria they believe responsible present in the contaminated plants?

Seems the most infected areas are near the bread belt. Imagine it were to somehow get so concentrated as to be distributed to the masses in grains.

It has been a while since I've helped butcher or eaten any venison. May be a while longer...

Last edited:

Me either. CWD is similar to Mad Cow Disease so you'd think they'd work on that one since it's a bit more important.

CWD has not been known to effect humans, but Mad Cow Disease does.

Can "Zombie Deer" Disease Kill Humans? Research Suggests It Already Has

If the zombie apocalypse were to become real, this seems a plausible avenue for infection.
Seems these prions are really nasty buggers that are extremely hard to kill or sterilize.
The deer infect the environment as they die and plants readily uptake and bind to prions, contaminating food grown there. It is not just spread through predation, but grazing also.

Question from the video in OP, is the bacteria they believe responsible present in the contaminated plants?

Seems the most infected areas are near the bread belt. Imagine it were to somehow get so concentrated as to be distributed to the masses in grains.

It has been a while since I've helped butcher or eaten any venison. May be a while longer...

A prion is a malformed protein. It is not something that you can kill or sterilize. It's not a living organism. It can survive heat exposure in excess of 1000 degrees, can survive UV light exposure, and it can persist in the environment for decades.

The disease is pretty scary. Long term impacts could be extinction for the impacted species. Watch the video, very informative.

Prion Diseases | CDC

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHOUpczwcyA

Last edited:
Damnit, his click bait title got me again.

Does the deer have a barcode on it that will tell me its country of origin?

‘Zombie deer’ disease keeps spreading across country, hunters fear it could impact industry

STARKVILLE, Miss - At least 16 states have come up with new regulations to prevent hunters from transporting deer from areas where deer have tested positive for Chronic Wasting Disease.
The Carolinas are among the states that have stricter guidelines. In North Carolina for example, hunters must follow the state's new packaging and processing regulations which require meat from deer to be cut off the bone and wrapped before being transported through the state.

The state also forbids hunters from transporting any part of a deer's spinal column. In South Carolina the state Department of Environment and Resources now requires hunters to label carcass parts with identifying information like the name and address of the individual importing the carcass parts; the state and/or country of origin; the date the deer was killed and the hunter's license or permit number. It’s all a part of an effort to prevent the spread of so-called “zombie-deer” and wipe it out of existence.

Hold up. So their timetable was off? LOL

Yeah that announcement didn't age well did it?

I'm not sure why they got so excited, anyone with an ounce of knowledge on the subject or related field could call that out as complete BS.

Mark my words, 10 years from now this won't be resolved.

Yeah that announcement didn't age well did it?

I'm not sure why they got so excited, anyone with an ounce of knowledge on the subject or related field could call that out as complete BS.

Mark my words, 10 years from now this won't be resolved.

I would venture to guess this is similar to how gypsy moth caterpillars life-cycle.

In year 1 you've got bad GMC's. The second year, it's real bad. Third year? They'll kill many trees. And then about mid-season, you'll see them (the GMC's) and they're all dead. The look like the ass end of the caterpillar has shriveled up. Almost overnight the entire brood is dead. Next year? Next to none of them - only to build again in a few years.

Same thing here. I forget the #, but something like 175,000 car deer-strikes per year on PA roadways. Almost 500 per day. Do we really think in the era of Hiawatha that there were this many deer???

On a related note, I often wonder how much larger the pre-RR buffalo herd was going to get to before it collapsed on it's own as well. Pre-Columbian buffalo numbered a fraction of the herd in 1840. 350 years of reduced Indian populations caused a population explosion in buffalo. They were near the top end of their ability to function in balance with the land.

So my thought is that CWD is a prion (or whatever) that is only "common" when the deer herd gets far too big. Knock it back and the disease can't reproduce as easily. It effectively goes away.

In 2018, the highest 5 states for deer strikes are PA, Montana, WV, Iowa and SD. Where are we seeing CWD most prevalent???

FUDD? Why does he make the claim that the end of deer means the end of the 2A? Oh, that rights. Democrats think the 2A only protects firearms specifically designed for hunting. The Commie senator from VT certainly has said that part out loud.

Back
Top Bottom