• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Would you ever leave a gun at work?

100% of the big companies that I have worked for in the past would fire you if you stored a gun in your workplace.

Completely irrelevant as the OP consistently stated that it was not against company policy and that coworkers were already aware that he shoots. but thanks for rounding out the NES opinion poll beautifully.

The problem with desks and file cabinets are there are only a limits number of key combos and a lot of them have the key # on the lock. So if you had a co-worker who wanted your gun they could just read the number, take it to a locksmith and return with a key. Same with the lock box cables, easily cut or defeated or again a lock with a number on it.
Any lock with a number on it might as well have a key in it.

The problem with desks and file cabinets are there are only a limits number of key combos and a lot of them have the key # on the lock. So if you had a co-worker who wanted your gun they could just read the number, take it to a locksmith and return with a key. Same with the lock box cables, easily cut or defeated or again a lock with a number on it.
Any lock with a number on it might as well have a key in it.

And usually the office admin has spare keys on premises. Not very secure.

I have a lockbox bolted to the trunk of my car. When I go somewhere I can't carry I stop somewhere where I won't draw too much attention, unload the firearm and lock it up.

And usually the office admin has spare keys on premises. Not very secure.

I don't know many, if any, office admins who carry keys to gunvault lock boxes.

I believe that MAJoe is referring to the desk not being secure and after access, someone walking off with the gun vault that has been locked in the desk.

welp - I think we've determined (with the exception of two posts before mine) that the car is out of the equation.
It boils down to comfort level.
I'm thinking having a discrete lockbox in a drawer is better than say - a Fort Knox simplex lockbox bolted to the side of your desk.
With that said - I'd make sure that the discrete lockbox is affixed to the drawer in a fashion - that makes it difficult for someone to pick it up and walk out with it - unless they're carrying the drawer along with them.
If there's no issue with weapons at your place of work - I don't see any other issues..
If there's the whole 'no firearms' thing - you could field strip it, then lock it - and maybe a good lawyer could use Massachusetts' definition of a firearm (that it's capable of firing a shot) in your defense? But then they could fire back with some kind of nonsense of relative ease of construction - having the means to - yada yada.
Like I said - it's up to your comfort level on the situation.

To add to the "military base" conundrum. Don't forget, secure sites (or no go sites) could be schools, or federal buildings - or hell, anywhere really where your car is subject to search by pulling on to their facility and violating one of their rules. Much rather have it on my person, than in the trunk when they ask for you to pop it.

Of course if someone at the office doesn't like the gun being there, even if its not prohibited, even if they can't prove its there, they'll just let you go with no reason given.

If some anti sees it, or the lock-box and even suspects its a gun, they will run to HR. And if HR doesn't let you go (without cause) you better believe that anti will sue them for having a hostile work environment, and since it's MA they will win.

No matter how you cut it, leaving the gun in the office places your job at risk. Maybe a lot, maybe a little, that would depend on the employer and their tolerance for a lawsuit they could easily avoid.

Does your desk have a file drawer on one side? Bolt one like this through the side so it is under your desk by your knee.

FAS1-TLLaundryRoom.jpg

I think we should make the assumption that when he is making site visits where he can carry, it is in the woods and he may encounter a bear. Therefore he absolutely must carry a 9mm with preban mags available. This is not a question of storage or caliber but Glock or Beretta.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I think we should make the assumption that when he is making site visits where he can carry, it is in the woods and he may encounter a bear. Therefore he absolutely must carry a 9mm with preban mags available. This is not a question of storage or caliber but Glock or Beretta.
Do I look like I drive a Cadillac? Gimme a Hi-Point bruh

Think this:

**PRIVATELY OWNED FIREARMS- If you are in possession of a Privately Owned Weapon you MUST stop at the Fort Hood Visitor Center BLDG 69012 prior to entering the installation to register your firearm (s). NO EXCEPTIONS !!!!!

My fault, I brought up this concern, not the OP, doesn't sound like he goes to sites that search the car.

Side question: do they turn you away if you're an armed, authorized visitor or contractor? Or do they just store your weapon for you?

Never visited a military installation since I've started carrying so it never came up.

I know it's off topic, but due to the recent change, Army personnel can now carry a personal handgun on base, so that's probably what the sign is about. If you're a contractor they're not going to let you bring a firearm on base.

I know it's off topic, but due to the recent change, Army personnel can now carry a personal handgun on base, so that's probably what the sign is about. If you're a contractor they're not going to let you bring a firearm on base.

Does .mil personnel need any paperwork to do this?

Eh, someone on topic, since we're talking about places we can't carry. Anyways, I thought carrying on base was somewhere in the back of Trump's mind but of course no one has any details for his plan - e.g. whether civilians can carry, officers vs enlisted, and so on.

Not knowing your office layout (office or cube farm or somewhere in between), or how secure it is, I'd say to have a discreet backpack that you bring into work daily. I have one I use for my lunch, change of socks, book to read while pooping and things I may need during the day. Keep a little book sized safe in the backpack, and throw the gun into it when you need to disarm. You can then lock the backpack into your desk.

In other words, to answer your question - yes, I'd leave a gun at work if I were allowed to do so. If I weren't allowed to do so, I might be extra careful.

And to make this post like everyone else's - you could use a Glock 7 to defeat the metal detectors if you can spare a month's salary or just leave it in your car.

Back
Top Bottom