Would you eat it?

Never saw that condition before. As far as eating it........... Someone on the postings said it's only on the skin and will come off when the animal is skinned. So knowing that, probably not.

Hell no.

I did however, eat a mallard I shot last year that had a condition called "rice breast". Google that one.

that looks ****ed up to me.

Sarcocystis is a parasitic infection caused by a protozoan (single-celled organism). Some species of Sarcocystis can cause illness in certain animals. However, waterfowl affected with this disease usually do not look or act sick and generally the disease is not fatal. Occasionally, severe infections may cause muscle loss with resultant lameness or weakness. Such affected birds may be more susceptible to predation.
Other names for sarcocystis include rice breast disease, rice belly disease, sarcocystosis, and sarcosporidiosis. The most common protozoan infecting waterfowl is Sarcocystis rileyi.

and no. no no no. i've watched too many episodes of "monsters inside me" to willingly consume something with a parasite.

nope nope NOPE RIGHT THE **** OUT OF THE WAY.

[laugh]

It has been studied and found to have no effect on humans. If you cook the breasts properly (which I do, I like 'em doused in a marinade I make, and crispy) the parasites die quickly.

I did it just to say I did it, but I probably won't eat any more ducks I shoot that have that condition. It's fairly rare to find one anyhow. That one I shot last year was my first with Rice Breast.

[laugh]

It has been studied and found to have no effect on humans. If you cook the breasts properly (which I do, I like 'em doused in a marinade I make, and crispy) the parasites die quickly.

I did it just to say I did it, but I probably won't eat any more ducks I shoot that have that condition. It's fairly rare to find one anyhow. That one I shot last year was my first with Rice Breast.

it makes me want to throw up in the same way prosciutto and melon does.

i don't know why. i'm ****in' nauseous right now.

it makes me want to throw up in the same way prosciutto and melon does.

i don't know why. i'm ****in' nauseous right now.

My hunting buddies thought I was out of my mind for eating it. I had done a lot of research on it before I decided to cook 'em up. It was just as tasty as a non-infected breast, and I didn't even gag one bit. [wink]

Imagine how many chickens we've all eaten like that and didn't even know about it?

I know I've eaten some pretty messed up looking wings before.......

I'd cook it with a flame thrower and then bury the ashes... If anyone gave me meat that came off an animal like that, I'd throat punch them and kick them in the jimmies with my size 12 steel toed boots.

Homey don't play that...

Imagine how many chickens we've all eaten like that and didn't even know about it?

I know I've eaten some pretty messed up looking wings before.......

Pretty much this.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't eat deer nor hunt, but some of you are pretty weak stomached. Wasn't that bad.

Here is the question. How many cows and pigs were messed up and we did eat it and never knew it. I had a rabbit with a growth and called fish and game and they said "Make sure you cook it." I just cut the thing off and ate it (after I cooked it).

Here is the question. How many cows and pigs were messed up and we did eat it and never knew it. I had a rabbit with a growth and called fish and game and they said "Make sure you cook it." I just cut the thing off and ate it (after I cooked it).

One word: hamburger

Unless you guys raise your own cattle, chicken and hogs you have ate plenty of animals with skin growths like this(maybe not as bad or maybe even worse). If I shot that I would have no problem eating it as long as the meat looked good once I skinned it.

Back
Top Bottom