Would you consider this barrel damaged?

I just received a barrel in the mail for my 308 build. The packing job was sub-par and upon inspection I noticed some marks on the barrel where it looks like the finish is worn off. I've purchased barrels for other builds from Daniel Defense/Spikes and they were top notch in terms of fit and finish. This barrel cost more than twice what my DD barrel did so I was expecting my socks to be knocked off. Am I being too picky or should this thing be perfect for that kind of coin?

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo 3.JPG

I would have taken a picture of the package before you opened it and contacted where you purchased it from? I myself don't really care to much all about finish as long as it's not damaged or causes malfunctions. My Stag lower has some scratch marks by the take down pins and I could really care less, since It's meant to shoot and destroy things not look pretty behind glass!!

Charles.

Are you going to see that part once it's built? What's the chamber look like? How about the muzzle? Any tool marks inside?

This for an AR build?

The scratches would irritate me, But if you send it back you probably wont see it again for a while... Like NewGunGuy said as long as it still functions its fine.

If you're posting this thread (which you are) then you're actually looking for validation of your unhappiness.

Call the vendor, tell them that you're not happy, and why. Perhaps they'll tell you to pound sand, perhaps they'll attempt to satisfy the customer, in case you post on the interwebs.

Let us know how the vendor deals with it. Remember: a complaint is really just a hidden request for service.

It wouldn't bother me. It'll get like that in my safe or during the first range trip anyway.

Hit it with some #0000 steel wool soaked with CLP and I bet it disappears.

It wouldn't bother me. It'll get like that in my safe or during the first range trip anyway.

Hit it with some #0000 steel wool soaked with CLP and I bet it disappears.

Unless you're throwing your AR in the safe like you just hit a home-run, I doubt it.

I think he expected a virgin barrel and it had a scuff like that and is somewhat pissed about it. Come on, we've all been there before. You're right about the steel wool and CLP, just make sure it's 0000 OP.

I'm a perfectionist when it comes to guns so... Anything to do with firearms that I buy new I expect to be perfect. If that was a run of the mill barrel you could maybe write it off because the scuffing/marks on the finish would be under the handguard but for the price you must of paid I would absolutely call them and set up an exchange.

I wouldn't do jack until I called them. Once you start messing with it, you own it. I might do some oil and rub it with an old towel to see if that helped, but Steel Wool ? No.

**** ya that is damaged! A little scuff I could probably let slide but that finish is removed to the bare metal. I would be furious if I paid out the ass for a barrel and it showed up like that. Given the climate I wouldn't necessarily jump at the chance to send it back and wait 6mo to get the replacement. Which is probably what they were betting on when they shipped it. I would give them hell until they "made it right" one way or another.

It wouldn't bother me as much if it was a run-of-the-mill barrel.

But for a place charging as much as they do I'm kind of miffed. I'll give a call tomorrow and see what happens.

yeah, that's annoying. email them with the photos or call them and complain. see what they say.

Like others say, I bet you can bring it back to like new condition but maybe they'll do something for you to make it right?

Who did you buy it from????

If you want to keep it, just call the seller and tell them of the damage and see if they'll knock a bit off the price. They won't want to have it shipped back, then they'd resell it as a damage/discount anyway. So they will take some off and all parties will be happy.

I'd make a cool story out of it. Along the lines of this is how I killed a unicorn. For future damage prevention put it under your mattress.

Sent from my Galaxy S 3 in an antis office just to feel rebellious

Back
Top Bottom