Would you clear a squib this way?

It’s not something I would ever attempt. But I think it’s a neat idea for those who may be stuck in some apocalyptic scenario or war zone where cleaning rods do not exist, and you get the dreaded squib round in the middle of a firefight, and happen to realize you have a squib before you send the next round into it and blow up your gun. I think in that scenario it’s a great idea.
This is why you're supposed to go with, "Two is one....etc." [laugh]

I’m all my years shooting, military and civilian, I’ve only had 1 squib load. About 5-6 years ago with Winchester whitebox 9mm. I didn’t even know I had a squib. The next round wouldn’t chamber because the bullet was just barely stuck at the beginning of the barrel. If that bullet would of got stuck further down the barrel I wouldn’t even have known and I would of fired the next shot into it. Scary shit.

Honest question: Does this happen a lot with you guys that reload?

I always have cleaning rods with me and a simple tap cleared it right out. And no more Winchester whitebox for this kid😂
No it isn't normal. A failure to fire on first strike because a poorly seated primer happens but actual squibs should be rare.

I did have a batch of 38 spl that squibbed like crazy. Problem was undersized bullets and thin walled brass. I didn't cast at the time so I was beholden to manufacturers.
Learned a lot from that issue.

No it isn't normal. A failure to fire on first strike because a poorly seated primer happens but actual squibs should be rare.

I did have a batch of 38 spl that squibbed like crazy. Problem was undersized bullets and thin walled brass. I didn't cast at the time so I was beholden to manufacturers.
Learned a lot from that issue.
Wonder if that was my issue with my light 357 loads. Hmmm

Wonder if that was my issue with my light 357 loads. Hmmm
Same bullets and powder in a 357 case fired exactly as they should have.
The low neck tension was allowing the bullet to jump the 0.1" of extra chamber in the 357 before the bullet met any resistance.
Fired in a 357 case the bullet met resistance almost immediately so the pressure could rise enough for a clean burn.

I’ve had two. I also push the limit and I shouldn’t. Ironically, not with hot loads but with cast bullet shapes that shouldn’t chamber properly in an AR, and powders that are on the very lower limit of charge weight. This is in order to find the least expensive bullets for super quiet subsonic back yard plinking. It takes a ton of experimentation and it mostly doesn’t work out well. When you find what works it’s like magic though. But I’ve created two squibs like this.

Never had a squib following the manual though. And when messing around with this stuff I take a lot of precautions to ensure that I’m not blowing up my rifle. Often breaking it open and inspecting. And I’m almost always shooting at steel. Which is a great indicator of whether the bullet left the barrel, you know? You doing get that ringing sound if it’s a squib. Pretty straight forward.

Im sure someone can use onecof the fancy reloading calculators to calculate the pressure.
Im to lazy to fire up the PC to try
I do know from shooting cast
5-10 grains of various pistol powder in a 30-06 behind a 200 gn bullet does not produce much with a 2 1/2” case.
So think - squib is a unseated bullet x inches from the case head. The starting pressure will be lower.
Also wondering , can a secondary type of explosion happen with that air gap?

I’m all my years shooting, military and civilian, I’ve only had 1 squib load. About 5-6 years ago with Winchester whitebox 9mm. I didn’t even know I had a squib. The next round wouldn’t chamber because the bullet was just barely stuck at the beginning of the barrel. If that bullet would of got stuck further down the barrel I wouldn’t even have known and I would of fired the next shot into it. Scary shit.

I always have cleaning rods with me and a simple tap cleared it right out. And no more Winchester whitebox for this kid😂
That's never happened to me, but I did see it happen to someone else once. We were shooting steel plates and this guy had a 357 revolver, I remember because it was so goddamn loud and I thought he was going to break the plates and then all the sudden one shot sounded like a little fart. The guy brought the revolver back up to shoot the same chamber in DA and like 4 or 5 of us all started yelling "stop" at the guy trying to get his attention. He did stop and and looked at us like we were crazy, what the hell are you guys doing? We told him he had squib, He said something like" oh these are some new hand loads I'm trying" Guy almost had a real bad day.

That's never happened to me, but I did see it happen to someone else once. We were shooting steel plates and this guy had a 357 revolver, I remember because it was so goddamn loud and I thought he was going to break the plates and then all the sudden one shot sounded like a little fart. The guy brought the revolver back up to shoot the same chamber in DA and like 4 or 5 of us all started yelling "stop" at the guy trying to get his attention. He did stop and and looked at us like we were crazy, what the hell are you guys doing? We told him he had squib, He said something like" oh these are some new hand loads I'm trying" Guy almost had a real bad day.
Don't get how people can ignore a misfire or squib knowing they are shooting unproven reloads

Yup. It’s funny how everyone else on the range hears it and reacts quick to it but you doing the shooting don’t even realize it.

Yup. It’s funny how everyone else on the range hears it and reacts quick to it but you doing the shooting don’t even realize it.
I've only had one squib -- blazer steel case 115 gr out of a Glock 17 while doing a bill drill (!) and listening to music. I came real close to pulling the trigger and even took up some slack, but something just felt wrong.

I've noticed all of my squibs.

I think the average Joe shooter who shoots 2-3 times per year won't know enough and have any idea what a squib is?

Wooden dowel in the range bag. Pretty much sacrificial but it works.Squibs I've had the bullet didn't get far enough into the barrel for next round to fully chamber. Don't recall making any revo squibs, but my pal did get all six stuck in the barrel at once with a super light PPC load.

This guy could have fit a couple more in the barrel.

I guess the part that scares me is there are 8 bullets in that revolver.

Attachments

• 357.jpg
    357.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 6
Back
Top Bottom