Would you clear a squib this way?

My logic says good chance it would work. Worse case bullet gets pushed down farther and doesn’t come out. I also think there’s nothing happening the firearm can’t handle psi wise. Your using a standard powder charge from the casing no extra bullet etc
So yes I’d try it if I found the need of it.

It seems like a perfectly legitimate way of clearing the squib and you're subjecting the gun to lower pressure than when you fire a regular round.

Alternatively you could fire an AP round, the AP core leaving a hole smaller than the gun bore through the squib which can then be internally threaded to accept a bolt and clevis which would be attached to a kinetic rope. This would be secured to a large rock that is hurled downrange by your trebuchet while your range buddy secures the grip of the gun in his/her/they/its teeth after accepting the $1 challenge you offered.

Last edited:
this is just a terminally bad idea when a brass rod or something is a lot less complicated (and retarded).

I don't even understand how this is useful. If you can carry "blanks" to fire out stuck bullets then you can carry a
rod in your shooting kit, too.

It’s not something I would ever attempt. But I think it’s a neat idea for those who may be stuck in some apocalyptic scenario or war zone where cleaning rods do not exist, and you get the dreaded squib round in the middle of a firefight, and happen to realize you have a squib before you send the next round into it and blow up your gun. I think in that scenario it’s a great idea.

It’s not something I would ever attempt. But I think it’s a neat idea for those who may be stuck in some apocalyptic scenario or war zone where cleaning rods do not exist, and you get the dreaded squib round in the middle of a firefight, and happen to realize you have a squib before you send the next round into it and blow up your gun. I think in that scenario it’s a great idea.

I can see it being practical if you’re just ‘at the range’ and don’t bring cleaning rods with you, OR if you have a firearm that’s exceptionally difficult to take down and don’t want to lose parts at the range, but want to continue training for the day.

Either way, it’s an idea I had never even considered and I like how they thought outside the box to present an alternative solution.

My logic says good chance it would work. Worse case bullet gets pushed down farther and doesn’t come out. I also think there’s nothing happening the firearm can’t handle psi wise. Your using a standard powder charge from the casing no extra bullet etc
So yes I’d try it if I found the need of it.
I would be concerned about the pressure buildup before the bullet starts to accelerate leaving a slight bulge in a barrel. I have an Beretta 92 I bought new with a bulge I can feel, but not visible at a casual glance ... and no idea how I put it there.

I'll keep it in mind during the cleaning rod shortage of the next pandemic.

I don't even understand how this is useful. If you can carry "blanks" to fire out stuck bullets then you can carry a
rod in your shooting kit, too.
What if you load every other round in your magazine as a blank and that way if you get a squib it will self clear with the blank round, but you have to remember to load a snap cap cap first in case someone takes your firearm away from you, and never carry with a loaded chamber

Not to mention the effort/time wasted in using pliers to pull the bullet while at the range. Then try not to spill any of the powder during the process. Then load it into the gun. Jesus christ just f***ing tap it out with a rod. Don't need to reinvent the wheel

I've used bullet-less rounds to clear a squib in my FR-7, yes. It doesn't work on revolvers, as the pressure just bleeds out through the cylinder gap. Worked slick as can be, but I use a reduced load of pistol powder with a wad of tissue to plug the case mouth, not a factory round sans bullet.
Incidentally, it's easier to have a squib remover round in my bag than a knock out rod. One round chambered, fired and squib be gone!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom